Normani's 'Dopamine' Listening Party 🖤

It a 7 to 9.0 album  for me

Was stronger to me at some point but weak at others

I understand 1:59 as the kick off now for the album but the song is two short it needed another course before gunna came in and an extended bridge 

All Yours, Insomnia,  Candy Paint and Take My Time should've been consider first single 

Also she should've  had another new song to end the album instead of Wild Side with Cardi B, that should have been seen as bonus track along with Fair

Personally I would've  gonna for 15 to 17 tracks with 16 and 17 being  Wild Side and Fair as bonuses 

I would've have two more female artist collabs, One should've been Megan and the other should've been Victoria Monet

Other than that a solid album

Congrats, Normani 

My Top 7

1. Insomnia 

2.  All Yours

3. Candy Paint

4. Lights Out

5. Tantrums

6. 1:59

7.  Take My Time

It's pretty meh. Big Boy and Insomnia are the stand-out tracks. My problem with her is that she doesn't have a strong voice, and that's okay, but with this material her tone and annunciation are pretty weak, too. I think her voice is better suited for a more pop/dance sound. Her verses and hooks and pre-chorus runs on 5th Harmony tracks were smooth ("I know you're always on that niiiiight shiiift, but I can't stand these nights alone...").

1 hour ago, RadicalOptimism said:

I gave up after Track 3 because I almost fell asleep 

Gurl I jumped :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

To me, it’s a solid R&B album, and it feels true to herself. She has always wanted to pursue this sound instead of songs like "Motivation" (which I didn’t like). 

For someone with a messy rollout like hers, she did well. I expected a major mess, though. I’m pretty sure Camila won’t top it.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Markoct said:

:tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red: WHATTTT :hillary_clinton_mad_rant_yelling_telling_arguing_fighting:

Its literaly one of the most advanced/ complex R&B productions EVER. Hiphop + Pop adjacent too. 

When I heard it, I instantly thought of SZA because she’s the leading R&B artist, but Normani did what needed to be done. I loved SOS too, but I find Dopamine more cohesive, rich, and sultry. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Style. said:

When I heard it, I instantly thought of SZA because she’s the leading R&B artist, but Normani did what needed to be done. I loved SOS too, but I find Dopamine more cohesive, rich, and sultry. :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

EVERY word!!!!!!!:nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Markoct said:

EVERY word!!!!!!!:nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

Will she achieve the same success tho? :typing_keyboard_computer:

Like I said, I loved SOS but her success was a bit overrated tbh… yes, it deserved every Grammy and more, but her label came with the payola package…

51 minutes ago, Style. said:

Will she achieve the same success tho? :typing_keyboard_computer:

Like I said, I loved SOS but her success was a bit overrated tbh… yes, it deserved every Grammy and more, but her label came with the payola package…

I am not expecting international success,  but for Rnb charts in the us, i do expect her to stay up there for a long time. And i really hope award shows give her her flowers cause she sure deserves it. I predict a number 3 debut on billboard 200. 

Give me ur prediction... 

9 minutes ago, Markoct said:

I am not expecting international success,  but for Rnb charts in the us, i do expect her to stay up there for a long time. And i really hope award shows give her her flowers cause she sure deserves it. I predict a number 3 debut on billboard 200. 

Give me ur prediction... 

I don’t know, it’s either hit or miss. I’d say 5 or or 8…. :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe: I don’t think she’s going to outsell Morgan Wallen, Billie, or Charli…. :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

I’ll be surprised if she gets a 2nd album after this. She’ll be lucky with a Top 20 debut. This isn’t even #1 on iTunes and she doesn’t have any hit singles to help her with streaming.

none of the album tracks have cracked the Top 150 on iTunes. This album made no noise really. Her strategy of releasing one off songs every few years or so didn’t work either - she’s not hotly anticipated like a Rihanna or a Beyonce. I want to see her succeed but it seems like she made the record she wanted instead of what the people and the record label wanted (she ditched her old manager).

Edited by waynebradybyday

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.