🦈 Dua Lipa releases her 3rd and new album 'Radical Optimism' 🦈

Posted (edited)

Houdini is a grower and becomes outright amazing after the 2nd chorus heading into the bridge when it gets all trippy and Tame Impala-like (compliment)

Illusion suddenly went from very forgettable to “oh wait actually this song is a bop I like it way more all of a sudden LOL”

FALLING FOREVER  is hands down the most immediate and my personal favorite and should be next single!!! Idk what the hell Billboard was thinking ranking this one dead last, but they also ranked Kesha’s Die Young dead last on Warrior too, so sometimes they dont know **** 🤣

whatcha doing is pretty good and I sense it will be a grower

happy for you and Maria (speaking of Die Young intro-guitars lmao) are also pretty good as well

everything else is a little meh filler, not bad but not particularly great either

training season does almost nothing for me, god I hope that was just a promo single and not a real one

obvs a step down from Future Nostalgia but that album was a masterpiece and would be the absolute peak for about 90% of all pop stars, including her, so it’s unfair to expect this album to live up to it tbh 

overall a solidly prettay prettay prettay good dance pop album (insert Larry David gif nodding in approval) 😝🤣😂

let’s go with 7/10 assuming future nostalgia was a 9/10 or 10/10!

Edited by ERIDER
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Listening to the album now and I'll be updating my thoughts as I listen to the songs.

Full Album Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: I'll be the first to say that there will be two types of listeners, those that compare it to Future Nostalgia and those who will be able to listen to it as an independent piece of work. For me, it's difficult not to compare to Future Nostalgia, but I also think I can objectively look at it. As a whole, the album is good but it's not extraordinary by any means. Perhaps that's what happens when you deliver such a high quality album in your sophomore year that it's difficult to keep up. The album has some good highs but the rest just feels lackluster. This is an album that I would put on and dance to ever 2-3 songs but it's a far cry from album of the year. Overall, it's solid. She delivered a quality album that's not meant to be a hit factory. 

1. End of an Era (6/10): Decent song, but to be honest, weak for an album opener. While it does have that sub-disco sound, I actually think it's more reminiscent of something you'd her on her first album. It's not a bad song per se, but with a song like Houdini coming up after, you'd think we'd have something with more of a punch. The chorus is somewhat catchy, but likely not a song I'd revisit - definitely a background song.

2. Houdini (7/10): Having heard this song multiple times, I can say that you either loved it from the start or it grew on you. We've all heard the song so I won't say too much on it other than that I do listen to it on occasion, so not a bad song by any means. It's a bop!

3. Training Season (8/10): This song had more of an instant hit with me, compared to Houdini and while it's still not a perfect song it's very much a certified bop. Like many others have said before, I don't think the video did the song justice and I feel that with a better video, more people would likely enjoy it. 

4. These Walls (9/10): There is something very nostalgic about this song (very late 90's/early 00's Sheryl Crow vibe) and I absolutely love it! Her vocals are there and the lyrics are reminiscent of her song We're Good which I also loved. Easily my favorite on the album...so far!

5. Whatcha Doing(6/10): Off the bat this song sounds like it should've been on the deluxe version of Future Nostalgia. I don't want to compare everything to that album, but let's be honest it's very hard not to and sonically this song just fits that album. The song itself is mid to upbeat and kind of reminds me of If It Ain't Me from Future Nostalgia - which is a better song in my opinion. Overall, it's a decent song to have playing in the background, but similar to the album opener it's just okay.

6. French Exit (7/10): I think someone else said that this song reminded them of a slower Love Again and I have to admit, they're right. It's a very different song, but something about the chord progressions or the melody pace is similar. Either way, it's a pretty decent song. It's not as upbeat as Love Again but I think I'd play it over End of an Era and Whatcha Doing.

7. Illusion (8/10): Similar to Training Season, this was an instant hit for me - especially with that video. There's not much else to say about this song other than that it's placement on the album is perfect because the album really needed a pick me up.

8. Falling Forever (9/10): That intro...wow! It just hits you. Why was this not the album opener?! This feels like the biggest departure from Future Nostalgia in the best way possible because it keeps the essence that is Dua, but it actually feels like she evolved. If anyone remembers the Russian group T.A.T.U. this sounds like something they would sing, and I'm here for it. Great track, easily one of my favorites along with These Walls.

9. Anything for Love (7/10): Wow...this song started one way and then went a completely different direction - and I'm here for it. The song isn't particularly catchy, but I can 100% appreciate the vision and production behind it. It starts as a raw piano ballad then takes a sudden pop-funk turn. It works, but I will say it feels unfinished. Reminds me Shattered Glass in that it just feels like it's missing a bridge and final chorus. Decent song though.

10. Maria (6/10): Does anyone remember Tegan and Sarah? They had a song called Walking With a Ghost and this song is a mix between that song and Love Again. Not sure if that's good or bad. It's a decent song but it doesn't do much for me. 

11. Happy for You (7/10): This song started out a little underwhelming but as it progressed, it grew on me. Is it my favorite song? No...not even close but I appreciate it for what it is. I think the chorus is where it really shines but the versus and production just fall a little flat for me. And as I'm listening to it more, I realize it has the same progressions in the chorus as Perfume.

Edited by Gypsy Woman
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bbbsss said:

I think it's about time for Miss Dua to take a two-three year break. The album is very dull and uninspired.

But there was a four year gap between this album and Future Nostalgia?? 

Just now, Isla said:

But there was a four year gap between this album and Future Nostalgia?? 

Really? It feels like she released it just yesterday. Wow, after four years, this is the best she could come up with?

:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Haha 1
On 5/2/2024 at 10:48 AM, work said:

I'm too lazy to do a track by track review but I will say it's a cute album. Not great, but cute.

Falling Forever is the best song by far. It's the only song that I've listened to twice. The whole time I was like this beat reminds me of another song but I couldnt figure out which. And then I remembered, the beat sounds or even samples (we´ll see in the credits) Two more lonely people by Miley Cyrus

Yassssssssssss agreed it’s brilliant 

I don't get the hate for End of An Era. By far my favorite!! I'm literally like..

IN THE CLOUD THERE SHE GOES 

7b554j.gif

BUTTERFLIES LET THEM FLOW

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522b8agsmokiudnrl5de

ANOTHER GIRL FALLS IN LOVE

R1c.gif

ANOTHER GIRL LEAVES THE CLUB

tumblr_pgzazovmrf1qdezf9o2_r1_500.gif?w=

SEND A BIG KISS GOODBYE

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952f05wc8bmavwiq8jv6eu

TO ALL THE PRETTY EYES

84a9db40bbccfc466cfb5d01faae2209.gif

ANOTHER GIRL FALLS IN LOVE

icegif-38.gif

ANOTHER GIRL LEAVES THE CLUB

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bdqg1sb9ikdg4cm8x37p

I'VE LOST ALL MY SENSES

club-annoyed.gif

LALALALLALALALA

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952oxo4udfe4n0cagwhlgr

IS THIS MY HAPPY ENDING? 

abell46s-kylie-minogue-can-t-get-you-out

• Love 3

Guys, I listened again and my impression is:

'These Walls', 'Maria' and 'Falling Forever' (gay anthem, new 'I Will Survive', girls) are the ones I liked, the standouts for me, excluding the singles. Including singles, these are + Training Season.

Tracks like 'End of an era' I don't see longevity for about 6 months and +, I see them as weak tracks. 'Watcha doing' I even see a little more life for her, it's fun.

THE YUMMY FLUTE IN MARIA CHORUS IS DOPE.

• Love 1

Listened to it multiple times at work today and I like it. It's a chill summer vibes/break up album. My initial faves... Illusion, These Walls, Training Season, Falling Forever, Whatcha Doing, and of course Houdini. 🤘

I'd give it a 7 or 7.5. No Future Nostalgia but still a pretty solid piece of work.

I will be late checking this, I need the right vibe for it so I will probably double buy it, I knew this girl would be a nice one for the pop music right before New Rules explosion, I stream it and enjoy it every time she came on.. radio, gym, the visuals are pleasing she evolved somehow.

Can’t wait for the performance tomorrow!

On 5/2/2024 at 6:00 PM, ppiotr said:

She's so boring lol

On 5/2/2024 at 5:58 PM, camerasareflashin' said:

nope 

Reveal hidden contents

:byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Just played with skip, and I must call this album "Radical Boringsm"

Spoiler

On 5/2/2024 at 9:29 PM, Markoct said:

Whatcha doing

:madance_madonna_dancing_party_bw_black_white:AYYYYYYYYY!!! AYYYYYY!!!! AYYYYYY!!! My bootiiii cant stop shakin. almost as good as Houdini. This must be the next single. 

Houdini 9/10

this 8.5/10

I miss your monkey photo :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Wendy Williams said:

Just played with skip, and I must call this album "Radical Boringsm"

Reveal hidden contents

I miss your monkey photo :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

:canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears: im going through an identity crisis right now :canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears: dont get it twisted tho, im the horse in my new photo :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.