"The Program"on Netflix & Britney

I just finished the limited docu-series on Netflix called "The Program" and I couldn't help but to be reminded of the abuse Britney repeatedly has referred to when she was "sent away to that place for months" by her dad.

In the documentary they talk about these institutions around the country and the world where they institutionalize "problem youth" under the guise of treatment to help with their behavior. In reality, it looks like these institutions prey on desperate rich parents who are looking for "help" with their teenager and get scammed and brainwashed into paying thousands of dollars a year to send their children for behavior modification.  Turns out these institutions are nothing short of places to  torture and abuse the residents, jail like conditions.

I know Britney is not a teen but the things they describe in the documentary sounded eerily similar to what Britney has been saying about the place she was sent.  "staying in a room, sitting on a desk for 8 hours straight, like torture." The former teens featured in the doc talked about how the experience affects them now and how essentially it ****s you up.

Anyways did anyone else watch? Did anyone else think of Britney? In a way it truly validates everything about that place she talks about.

They also talked about c-ptsd which stands for "complex post traumatic disorder" that most people feel when they leave places like this and how it effects the human mind and behaviors. Super fascinating and again, I can't help to feel for our girl. 

Edited by ynot8000
Mispell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

YES!!! I just finished and I completely was thinking the same! Such insane parallels and to imagine that their trauma has stuck with them for all these years since, and Britney’s conservatorship lasted THIRTEEN YEARS. Britney needs complete empathy and understanding from everyone, it was interesting how they talked about how people who are victims to such intense trauma and abuse, have such struggle with trust and fear and paranoia and therapy, specifically because that’s what the abuse was packaged as, and fed to the victim as “what is needed in order for you to be better/freed”. I also thought that the term C-PTSD was so poignant for Britney, she must be going through such heavy and complex post traumatic stress. We love you Britney. 

• Love 2

I don't have kids unfortunately yet but i do believe u have to communicate with ur child not put them on some programm to do all the work. Being a parent is a big demanding job. U can do everything it takes and yet fail. And also not all the kids become good people bc they r here for smth else i suppose.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block