Are compilation albums dead?

I think Britney could have a stellar greatest hits album. Like an Eras style album with just the years:

example:

1999:

baby…

crazy

btmyh

sometimes

and then have demos or unreleased songs or maybe alternate versions of the songs. They don’t have to be re-recorded, just tweaked a little.

Yes and no, 

No for the streaming generation but yes for the older generation that is hating what best buy is doing, because not every movie is available to stream, aka long lost media.  

Those titles like crossroads,  Spiceworld,  etc are expensive af because their out of print in the states. So they charge 50 to 250.00. That's because they know someone is willing to get a film that's not available to stream or out of print. 

There's also that studios can take something back and delete it forever now. You'll have to pirate Bay. 

Older generations like myself will always perform physical media.

Discogs dragged everybody streaming. 

Saying congrats on your wrapped, judging a person buying physical versus streaming. 

The pro for physical media is you always have it, con for streaming is not every artist or album is actually available to stream and that's because the audio isn't what they desire for listening experience 

I mean…we’ve seen a few GH albums do extremely well lately. I think physical copies should be somewhat of an event but honestly CD’s cost little nothing to produce. They’ll still be around but I think we’ll see them sold directly from the artists merch shops or through exclusive retailers. 

• Like 2

But there are a lot of Essential Of or Best Of.

The CDs are still popular in Europe - we have some music shops, and people buy it.
Kylie Minogue had her latest greatest hit compilation called The Definitive Single Collection on 2/3CD in 2019 and it went to #1 on UK Album chart and Australian album chart.

There are still a lot of music that isn’t available in platforms.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:40 PM, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

The Weeknd came out with his collection a few years ago, and that had a physical release. People could still do them especially if they have exclusive content. 

I agree with this statement. If it came with exclusives, a couple of remixes, accompanied by a Greatest Hits Tour (assuming they've built some longevity), it could be a huge hit ... especially for the next generation. 

For instance, I fell in love with Madonna because I discovered it through Britney. And, if Madonna had released an album to accompany her Celebrations Tour, I think it would have elevated the experience for me. 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block