Jump to content

Are you happy with where you live?


WeatherBOI

Recommended Posts

I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and I love it. Even though my apartment complex is not that well maintained and has no elevator, my studio is comfy and I have everything I need.

The public transportation is fantastic, since I can't drive. The buses run every 10-15 minutes, and they have their own dedicated lanes and highways. 

I attend the University of Pittsburgh, and I love my classes there so far

It snowed for the first time this winter today, and although I hate snow and the cold, it's better here than where I moved from - Syracuse, New York. I'm heading back there on Friday to see my family for Thanksgiving break.

Do you like where you live? 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I know I sound like an old fart but my city that I grew up in is changing a lot and not for the better.
 

We have a big affordable housing problem and there has been a lot more crime in recent years. Violent crimes too - stabbings, shootings etc that we never had when I was a kid or even as a young adult. I went to uni in my hometown and I used to go to the clubs downtown and walk home alone drunk at 1-2am to my parents house which was about a 20 min walk. I felt completely safe and never would have been concerned. Now there just seems to be a lot of incidents that happen that are dangerous. It’s very sad.
 

And the homeless population has completely exploded. I used to love walking along our trails along river banks. as a teenager in high school I’d sit on logs and smoke pot with friends or as a kid go on hikes with my dad, feeding the ducks etc. and now there are tents and remnants of people living by the river - garbage, shopping carts, random furniture or large items etc. that I never saw before the last few years. honestly it’s a bit of a ****show right now.
 

But again, I’m not sure if it’s just cause I’m in my 30’s and romanticizing the past and struggling with reconciling that things change. 

 

i love my city though simply in that I grew up here. And It is becoming bigger - and that is why there are some negative things that go along with the growth of a city including crime and homelessness 

  • Love 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, WeatherBOI said:

I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and I love it.  

Ps. My favourite book ever is called “mysteries of Pittsburgh” and it’s like a coming of age story about a young guy living in Pittsburgh the summer after graduating university. If you like reading, you should read it! It’s incredible 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

yes, but I'm also bored,

I live in a gated community with rich people and by now I'm bored,

2012 I moved here and 2008 I was living the condo next to it that is basically the same thing, but my house was smaller there. I feel monitored here, there's cameras everywhere and I feel watched to where I go. I'm always reminding myself that "oh it's fine i do nothing wrong so whatever" but it's annoying, I feel like there's some frustrating with me right now to be bugged by it...

I go to the gym here and it's the same people and they know my family and I don't like to socialize with them butI fake a little, I'm actually thinking to go to a gym out of here to feel anonymous , but it's also nice cause there's a lot of nature here, i need to go back to swim or play tennis and call friends do it with me

I actually wish I could move out of the country for awhile and do something weird like, attend classes to be an actor or like go to a very Harry Potter university in Scottland or like live an ice cream lifestyle in the Golden Coast of Australia, seriously I need to travel and live a different lifestyle and learn something new, I'm so ******* bored last time a did a trip out of the country was in 2016. 

Croatia is actually a place I would love to go, and  Amsterdam cause I have friends there, and to a million other places lol

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Exhale+
24 minutes ago, Brat said:

I live in Denver with my boyfriend.  It’s liberal and cool but we are getting older and want to move to Boulder which is even more liberal.  Which is good for us since we are an “out” gay couple. :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

I love living in Denver. It has so much to offer compared to all the other basic cities in the US. I went to CU Boulder and I’m not sure I recommend it as a place to age; So much of the population is made up of college students, it must be weird getting older in a place that’s perpetually young and always in party mode. Aside from that, it’s a gorgeous town so I don’t blame ya

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Exhale+
11 minutes ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

I love living in Denver. It has so much to offer compared to all the other basic cities in the US. I went to CU Boulder and I’m not sure I recommend it as a place to age; So much of the population is made up of college students, it must be weird getting older in a place that’s perpetually young and always in party mode. Aside from that, it’s a gorgeous town so I don’t blame ya

Good point! Maybe superior?  It would just be nice to have some space!

  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Just let me give you one last test, is that a sin? https://soundcloud.com/jacod

Link to comment
3 hours ago, MX3 said:

I know I sound like an old fart but my city that I grew up in is changing a lot and not for the better.
 

We have a big affordable housing problem and there has been a lot more crime in recent years. Violent crimes too - stabbings, shootings etc that we never had when I was a kid or even as a young adult. I went to uni in my hometown and I used to go to the clubs downtown and walk home alone drunk at 1-2am to my parents house which was about a 20 min walk. I felt completely safe and never would have been concerned. Now there just seems to be a lot of incidents that happen that are dangerous. It’s very sad.
 

And the homeless population has completely exploded. I used to love walking along our trails along river banks. as a teenager in high school I’d sit on logs and smoke pot with friends or as a kid go on hikes with my dad, feeding the ducks etc. and now there are tents and remnants of people living by the river - garbage, shopping carts, random furniture or large items etc. that I never saw before the last few years. honestly it’s a bit of a ****show right now.
 

But again, I’m not sure if it’s just cause I’m in my 30’s and romanticizing the past and struggling with reconciling that things change. 

 

i love my city though simply in that I grew up here. And It is becoming bigger - and that is why there are some negative things that go along with the growth of a city including crime and homelessness 

You sound like you're talking about Vancouver, lol. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

First of all, thank you for making this interesting thred!

Well, I live in Czech Republic / Czechia in central Europe. 

Stock vektor „Czech Republic Vector Map Europe Vector“ (bez autorských  poplatků) 316185344 | Shutterstock

It's a small country but I love it here. I mean, the nature is breath taking everywhere around the country, however, the place where I live have a special place in my heart. Like I can go and get lost in woods for half of a day because I love getting lost in wood - it's so peacefull and quiet place with so many plants, fresh air and stuff and enter to this wood is basically just behind my garden, so I'm good. My neighborhood is quite nice.

As for travelling, it's kinda ok. Obvi, prices have raised recently but it's not nothing that would ruin someone's life. What is more, during covid, we had this time here that public transport was for free and also students and retired had paid like only 25 % of the full price before covid, so it was really nice. 

I also like people here. Although you probably find on the internet that Czechia is full of racists, homophobic, everythingphobic people (which is true only to a certain extent), people here usually keep this stuff to themselves unless they are asked about it. No american Karens and Christians that would go to one and make a scene. I guess people here tend more to mind their businesses.

As for prices, just like everywhere around the world, prices are up. Like really up. Especially prices for electricity and gas. Otherwise, I feel like a country that had so many incompetent politicans in lead we did great. Like after all the shyt we've been through since 2008 (there was another crisis, I was told) I am positively surprised we are still a country and not parts of Germany and Austria. We could do better economically, that is true but then again, competent people are being silenced while the less competent who basically sell this country to foreign investor and countries. Like literally we could have been one of the biggest producer of electricity in a central / easter, if not the whole Europe if our government listened to competent people and had another nuclear power plant built. 

As for culture, that is for another huge chapter. Some of you may know Miloš Forman (he filmed the movie Hair about 60s in the US - he also lived in the US). As for the rest, theatres are a big thing around here. Like every major city has at least two. The architecture. The quisine. All accents. I love it all.

As for my city itself, most of the written above applies for it as well. :) And here are some photos of a capital of Czechia - Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe according to some very important research. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

A Prague Castel, a seat of our president

Praha - Aktuálně.cz

The second bridge (starting from the below of the pic) is Charles' Bridge (look up emperor Charles IV, he's like one of our crucial historical figures, nice bloke). The building with a dark roof and a golden top (left side, above Charles' Bridge) is our National Theatre - the most important one, similar to what Broadway is to American artists.

Praha - průvodce, památky, zajímavá místa | cKlub.cz

A Dancing House (yes, it is literally named like that)

Kepergian Sang Arsitek Rumah Menari, Wariskan Ikon Kota Praha

A Golden Street (another historically interesting place in the middle of the capital) 

Zlatá ulička | PragueHere.com

And clubs :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: this one is called Karlovy (Charles) Lázně, it has 5 floors and it's kinda popular 

Karlovy Lazne – 5 floors club | Prague Weekends

So come to Czechia, I will gladly show you around! :) 

We have also so many other beautiful cities Karlovy Vary, Telč, Český Krumlov, Brno, Zlín, Olomouc and others. :) 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

i think my city is quite normal but all the trauma that i had to endure during my childhood made me see it in a negative way. for the longest time i wanted to escape from here, move somewhere else, in another country maybe, i hated everybody and thought they were going to betray me somehow. growing up, however, i'm realizing that i have to process the hurt from within and that changing the city i'm in would not make much of a difference. so i'd say that i'm starting to be happy with where i live but have yet to be fully comfortable in it. :typing_keyboard_computer:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

well... now that you ask... :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

I mean... I'm much better than last years here in my hometown. But it's a small town (40.000+ people) and it's kinda mind closed... especially older people. Me being gay I suffered a lot in my childhood by being bullied... then when I was 20 I moved to a bigger city (1M+ people) where everything is more opened and I could empower myself... then I had to come back when I was 26 to my hometown and since then it has been improving... now I got my own house and i don't care what people could say about me... even I created the organisation "Orgullo Salto" for the LGBTQ+ rights on this town and we do the LGBTQ+ pride every year since 2019... this december it's going to be the 4th!

 

1 hour ago, zoyerabehling said:

i think my city is quite normal but all the trauma that i had to endure during my childhood made me see it in a negative way. for the longest time i wanted to escape from here, move somewhere else, in another country maybe, i hated everybody and thought they were going to betray me somehow. growing up, however, i'm realizing that i have to process the hurt from within and that changing the city i'm in would not make much of a difference. so i'd say that i'm starting to be happy with where i live but have yet to be fully comfortable in it. :typing_keyboard_computer:

yeahhh same! this.

 

this is Salto, my hometown

dji_0148jpg.jpg?0000-00-00-00-00-00

392ae4db-75fe-4521-bf35-11368f03c4f6jpg.

and this was one of the pride LGBTQ+ made

147888948_298088181648433_89723154092841

132244135_267652898025295_67494080297368

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm originally from Vancouver and moved to a small town for school. I had many reservations at the start because I had a disciplined routine and diet that the comforts of a big city were able to offer me. Eventually, I established a presence and career here. My rent is meagre (compared to Vancouver), and it takes me 10 minutes to walk to work. So I save on expenses just from that (I don't have a car or car payments to make or car insurance). I don't spend so much time or money eating out because there isn't anything to indulge in from the few eating options we have here. So I predominately eat healthy meals at home and manage to find simple organic products (or variants that can be ordered and shipped from Amazon). Since it snows predominately during the year, I stay indoors and work out at the gym mostly for physical activity. So I eat healthily and stay fit this way. Although it costs anywhere from $300-$500 for an hour's trip to Vancouver to travel anywhere or attend concerts (my favourite thing),  if I lived in Vancouver and were closer to everything, I would be paying close to $2,000 in rent comparably. It would cost more than to travel from where I live now. I've learned to love renting and watching 4K movies at home instead of 2K movies at the theatre. So, all in all, I've become quite accustomed to living my simple small-town life. Though people here are nicer, it doesn't offer much social life.

My work is transitioning me to Vancouver, an exciting venture since it offers more opportunities and competency-expanding activities. Though, if I had to be honest with myself, I'm afraid that the added commute, pressure to pay for high rental costs, and living in the hustle and bustle of a bigger city may impact my general well-being. Who knows. However, I have learned that living in a small town made me realize that you don't need to live a lavish lifestyle to be happy. You can be perfectly content experiencing the simple ways of life. 

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Guest
Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...