Madonna’s ‘Erotica’ Turns 30

Cqleb

It's weird to think that the album was once controversial for being too "sexual" even though very few of the songs on the album are actually about sex. I mean there's Erotica, Where Life Begins, and Waiting, but the latter two are quite subtle about it. And then there's Did You Do It?, which is basically just a remix of Waiting and was excluded from some formats of the album anyway. The album overall is extremely tame by today's standards.

• Love 3

Also, once we get the inevitable reissue, I hope she includes Rescue Me and Justify My Love. I mean, they're Shep Pettibone and André Betts tracks respectively, both of which were the main producers Madonna worked with on Erotica. They'd fit right in with the rest of the tracks, though I don't know where I'd place them tracklist-wise. Reissues usually just slap bonus tracks onto a second disc. :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

4 hours ago, Stefani said:

It's weird to think that the album was once controversial for being too "sexual" even though very few of the songs on the album are actually about sex. I mean there's Erotica, Where Life Begins, and Waiting, but the latter two are quite subtle about it. And then there's Did You Do It?, which is basically just a remix of Waiting and was excluded from some formats of the album anyway. The album overall is extremely tame by today's standards.

At the beginning Madonna was heavily known for her music videos. The ones from this album were NOT tamed. AND on top of that she released a very raunchy book with explicit pictures straight up named "S3X". So your analysis stands if you only listen to the album without anything else that accompanied that era. I mean, at one time she even walked completely naked on the street... That was a hugely controversial era for her, and I don't think it has been topped yet, nor ever will be. The raunchiest thing you could get from more recent times is probably the lyrics to WAP, but the video is so tongue-in-cheek and colorful that it kind of washes down the vulgarity of the song.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block