If Mariah’s Glitter came out before 9/11 would it have fared better critically and commercially

rik

I often hear that glitter is one of the worst movies of all time. I have never seen it and was way too young to know what it was when it came out. People often say that 9/11  and the subsequent war on terror really as a turning point for people. From what I’ve heard the film itself is actually a dud. I recognize it also comes off the heels of mariah’s very public departure from Virgin (?) and around the time Tommy Matola also tried sabotaging her career. 

My question for Exhale then is, for those who watched it (and really hoping to hear from people who may have even seen it nearing the time of its initial release): 

would this film have done any better had this not released around the time of the September 11 attacks? Or was it genuinely going to flop either way?

Joe Simpson sort of said the same thing about Jessica Simpson's Irresistible.  Like, that if she had another single off that album before 9/11, it would have done better. Do I believe it?  Nah, 9/11 wasn't a time that people suddenly became more critical of pop music/culture.  

I love the movie idk what y’all are talking about 🤷‍♂️ -I actually went and saw it in theaters. I had a friend who’s dad worked there and he got me the huge movie poster. Sadly it’s been lost with time. But I love it. honestly I think everyone hating it so much just feeds more hate and people have pre-conceived notions going into it. Y’all are probably the same ones who love Crossroads, so let’s not. It has a cute/tragic love story. Although thinking on it now it was also a little abusive. 💀 but it’s also supposed to be set in the 80s. So you have to look at it from that perspective as well. Billie’s sad backstory with her mom. The drama with Silk. The cute friendship with her besties- and Shakey shakey shakey. 
200.gif?w=414&h=828&crop=1&zoom=2

honestly just watch it boo. 

The movie might have its good aspects, but it's a vehicle designed for a pop singer to star in a movie. It's cheesy and doesn't hold up as a movie the public can take seriously compared to something like Gaga's A Star Is Born. People are extra critical when singers venture into acting (or actors into singing). The soundtrack was going to have an uphill climb just through being associated with the movie. I believe the soundtrack would have been at least slightly better received had 9/11 not happened, but I could be wrong. I think ultimately the soundtrack was always something most people would have to come to appreciate years later. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.