Am i the only one who doesnt understand the charts anymore?

jonloch1

Britney Spears's Toxic peaked at No.9 while today we have songs which stay at No.1 for weeks and will never come close to being a song as big as toxic is.

That tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about the charts these days.

It is SAD to see few artists and their fandoms be so obsessed over these chart positions which no one will remember in 10 years.

Dunno how the charts work outside the US, but in the US all you need to know is that BTS stans cheat the system with their endless supply of cash [that Billboard refuses to investigate the origins of] in order to mass buy BTS singles basically every week and clog up the charts with BTS songs. So maybe JLS fans need to do the same.

Artists earn so little from streaming now, Nicola Roberts of girls aloud has spoken about it a few times saying she's basically broke despite having an extensive back catalogue. 

JLS getting support from their label? I see little mix label has been pushing them so hard. Two of the girls only had births a month ago and they've already returned to work doing press, that's shocking tbh.  But I've already seen YouTube and targeted ads for their latest single. I didn't even know JLS had new music out?!?

I don't think labels are so invested in chart positions anymore. Most acts just want to go on tour because that's where the money truly is 

We know the top 10 is just payola at this point right, songs being streamed because they're paid to be played on commercial radio all the time 

I seem to remember JLS' last few singles before their initial split didn't do as well. Didn't 1000 Lights or whatever it's called miss the top 100?

I have a feeling the new album will still do well and the tour has sold well hasn't it? So I think now, they will be more of an 'album act' that will sell albums but not singles. 

I'm actually more shocked that ABBA got a top 10 single! Although I saw a bunch of their fans online complaining about how 'they would have charted higher if it wasn't for streaming!!!' I hate to break it to them, but the charts would be pretty inaccurate if it was sales-based in 2021, when sales have declined and most people stream. (Having said that though HOW is Bad Habits still at number one??)

Edited by Isla
1 hour ago, Manikanta said:

Britney Spears's Toxic peaked at No.9 while today we have songs which stay at No.1 for weeks and will never come close to being a song as big as toxic is.

That tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about the charts these days.

It is SAD to see few artists and their fandoms be so obsessed over these chart positions which no one will remember in 10 years.

I agree. Have tried to follow K-Pop for about a year and 99% of the fandom for each group is obsessed with streaming new songs on 10 different devices 24/7 so that the groups "Win" awards that don't mean much (It only says something about obsessive streamers, not the quality of the music/song/performance).

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block