Deep dive Pop video podcast dives into Steps second studio album "Spectacular"

The Second international STEPS studio album  (a marketing ploy, due to the CD singles had step by step directions to actually do the dance steps in their music videos) titled Steptacular. 

The group was founded By PWL founder Pete Waterman (who is credited for creating the pop Music of the late 80s and early 90s Kylie minogue, Rick Astley, 2 Unlimited, Donna Summer, LaToya Jackson and British Girl Group Bananarama) .

Ironically Steps outsold all these acts even covered Kylie's Better the devil you know, which a lot of Kylie fans call their version dreadful and horrible and doesn't hold a candle to the 1990 original kylie track. 

The New York Times described Step One (U.S Version) a compilation of Step One (UK Version) and Steptacular as Tomorrow's flavor and the Spice girls as yesterday's flavor, unfortunately that never happened as the Music was too campy for the US, aka too gay it's cheesy as hell.

Steptacular was the height of Steps Mania, their first UK number one of 3 UK Albums, them being declared at the 2000 Brits, the highest selling British touring act as Steps sold a staggering 900,000 tickets and earning 50 Million pounds, which was unheard of at that time for just strictly British touring only. 

Even their closest Competitor in the local British music teen pop industry S Club 7, never saw the commercial heights or success like STEPS or Simon Fuller's biggest group  The Spice girls. 

Which is Why most S Club members didn't want to reunite, stating we were successful but not like Steps or the Spice Girls. 

But, Steps have endured and while they have grown up and left the campiness  behind minus "H", who Lee calls him proudly The Queen of selfies and The Queen of Steps indeed many fans and Steps members Credit Ian "H" Watkins fir being hell bent on reuniting Steps, which unlike the Spice girls and S Club 7, Steps have actually released 4 studio albums since their 2012 Reunion Tour

Light Up The World (a Christmas album which had it's own tour)

Tears on the Dance floor 

What the future hold part 1 2020 and What the future holds part 2 out this September. 

Look Back at Steptacular and the height of STEPS mania. 

@Invitation

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't aware Steps were so successful touring-wise! :O They were my first concert, I thought it was boring though. I like Love's Got a Hold of my Heart the best.

Didn't S Club's albums sell around the same amount as Steps' did? I was a kid at the time and I remember they were equally popular, S Club had a cooler image for us young kids. Don't forget they had their own TV shows which Steps never did and later on, a movie. S Club didn't have the same kitschy appeal of Steps and that's why Steps is still popular today, they gained  a gay fanbase which S Club never did.

Faye is beautiful too.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block