It's A Sin ... Anyone watch?

ObsessedBritFan1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started watching today. I know men can be promiscuous nowadays but the show depicts gay men in the 1980s are literal animals who would eff anything that breathes. I wonder if the gay scene was really like that back then? How scary a time must have been. No concrete answers about the disease and it was always a guaranteed death sentence. My bestfriend was diagnosed with AIDS two years ago and with current medicine it's undetectable. 

The gay scene especially in New York in the 70s and 80s was really a progressive ***uality time. 

The bath houses are more dark and seedy today. 

But, back then it was like a classy affair have fun with men while Bette Midler and Barry manilow provided live entertainment, research the articles about gay life back in what's called the golden era. They were probably more openly flamboyant and is probably what the stereotypes are based on, cos of what life was like back then. 

15 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

I started watching today. I know men can be promiscuous nowadays but the show depicts gay men in the 1980s are literal animals who would eff anything that breathes. I wonder if the gay scene was really like that back then? How scary a time must have been. No concrete answers about the disease and it was always a guaranteed death sentence. My bestfriend was diagnosed with AIDS two years ago and with current medicine it's undetectable. 

I don't really know that much about HIV or AIDs and when I read about how awful it was back then, it never really struck a cord with me. Now going through the pandemic and watching this series, I actually felt so sad about the injustices towards them. They were treated like trash and inhuman. I'm grateful that things have progressively changed today, but its sad how much injustice we need to go through to find peace and humanity in our world. It almost makes me think because of how liberating and free they were, if it was all orchestrated, but it could just be me being paranoid lol.

12 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

The gay scene especially in New York in the 70s and 80s was really a progressive ***uality time. 

The bath houses are more dark and seedy today. 

But, back then it was like a classy affair have fun with men while Bette Midler and Barry manilow provided live entertainment, research the articles about gay life back in what's called the golden era. They were probably more openly flamboyant and is probably what the stereotypes are based on, cos of what life was like back then. 

That sounds divine actually! It did seem glamorous. Thanks for sharing. 

Oh sorry to bump slightly... but I watched this show and found it an incredibly powerful watch. Can’t believe I cried at the last episode. It’s an eye opener to the attitudes towards those suffering from HIV/AIDS in the 80s (particularly in the UK).

Archived