21 years ago Madonna starred in The Next Best thing

Spicechinodiva

Thanks to huge LGBT themed movies in the late 90s In & Out and of course Rupert Everett's career making role in 1997's My Best friend's wedding.

It was only a matter of time til a movie with LGBTQ characters and cast members would call upon the biggest icon of that era, Madonna to star in a film.  

On the Surface The Next best thing had a great premise, best friends make the best mistake. 

One drunken night Madonna's character gets pregnant thru her best friend Robert (portrayed by Rupert Everett) hint the next best thing as her character wanted a kid. 

Unfortunately many gays had said if they didn't involve the messy child custody and actually revealed Robert wasn't the father, but her ex boyfriend portrayed by early 00s hunky actor, Michael Varten, and they said that it also hinted trouble when Sam (their son) had to address the bullying he faced at school cos his father was gay, and that they slept in separate bedrooms..

Also Rupert has come out and said this film ruined his career and he blamed Madonna,  as she, as usual made her character more like her real life identity.  

Jennifer the original character was a swimming instructor,  and a Methodist..

But, Madonna made Jennifer into Abbie and Abbie became a yoga instructor and devoted to the kabbalah. 

He said once again,  she made the character all about her, and that's why the movie flopped.  Madonna playing Abbie, who's basically Madonna as Madonna.  

The soundtrack was a minor success containing two new Madonna tracks 

A dance cover of American Pie, which madonna shortened the song, made it more autobiographical in nature, The original artist Don Mcclean called it a gift from a goddess. 

Peaked at #29 on the hot 100, just by radio airplay alone, but was a huge dance floor hit thanx to remixes by Victor Calderone and Richard "Humpty" Vission. 

But the real gem here was the original composition "Time Stood still"  

Written by Madonna and willam orbit, the track is such a rare gem, nobody knows, what the Arizona republic described in the soundtrack reviews her best ballad since 1994's Take a Bow,  and that they said,  it would be a miracle if this hidden gem actually gets embraced. 

Here's the preview to the film..

And here's her ultimate hidden gem. THE ballad that got away, Time stood still..

A song that talks about how a friendship had to die, cos it's too good to be true.

Also,  it's also believed she might have written it about her friends that Died of AIDS as it reflects to a flame that burns inside her heart. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the film back then. Even wanted to become a yoga teacher :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: , but yoga wasn't so well known in the West and therefore there were almost no schools.Madonna plays a real beast. I don't like her character after she got married. But in real life, women treat men the same way. Time Stood Still is one of her favorite songs.I think I still have to have the VHS somewhere and I own the soundtrack.

Archived