Lady Gaga Vs Taylor Swift

migeal

Gaga is way more talented than Taylor, better singer dancer and more creative as an artist and musician , why does her album sales do not reflect in comparison to Taylor swift.  taylor albums debut in the millions and Gaga struggles to make even 250k album sales .. though she puts all the work and goes xtra mile to promote her music .. Is gaga under appreciated in the music industry ???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm speaking purely of Taylor before "Lover" was released. I think Taylor makes a lot people feel "safe". She's neutral. She has music that is catchy enough to have almost any age group listen. Her music strayed away from anything remotely controversial. 

This is going to get a little political, but she started in country music where you will find the largest group of American loving Republican Conservatives (not all but of any current musical genre). She won them over HARD and even when she went Pop, she was still unproblematic and safe for them. Any controversy that she had was about singing of her ex-boyfriends and Kanye West (a black man). The majority can vibe with that. The parents give their blessing on letting their kids listen to Taylor. Then add in all the non-conservatives that love her music too, she then sells what she does. 

Once Taylor started speaking on issues of gay rights, misogyny, equality...you see her sales go down. She is no longer as safe. And now the kids that grew up with her have the ability to choose whether they want to support this new outspoken Taylor. 

So compared to Gaga, Taylor has always been more safe and relatable. Gaga from the start was considered edgier, artsy, and controversial. A lot of people in America still aren't okay with that.

I don't get how Taylor is as big as she is. She is not a good dancer, she's not that great of a singer, and she's never had one iconic live performance. She's definitely talented enough to be a well known pop star but like on Carly Rae Jepsen level, not Gaga, Beyonce, or Madonna level. 

Why do you have to attempt to come for Taylor to make a point about Gaga. And I'm saying this as a person who stans Lady Gaga more than Taylor Swift. They're both talented artists; it's just that Taylor marketed herself early on in a way so that she was able to dominate two genres and when she went full pop it broadened her support without losing to many of her old fans. Gaga's brand was based on doing weird stuff which can automatically turn people off.

Not to sound rude, but how do you compare them? :yaknow:Both different artist in different lanes. I can’t see a similarity between them that can make u think that?:snooptoya:

But here r my 2 cents about it, Taylor might have fantastic first week sales but 1989 has so far sold 12 million copies, whereas the fame alone has 15-16 million and combined with Fame monster, around 20 million. Her new album is set for a 275k debut and might outdo it’s predictions and sell over 300k. Plus it isn’t a very bad number.

Archived