Dua Lipa says she wants to collaborate with Kylie Minogue

7 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

So out of 15 albums which of them were hits besides fever, obviously?

It depends on what you mean by hits :angietea: She has deinitely had much more success in Europe than in the rest of the world (except Australia) songs from Aphrodite, and singles Higher and Timebomb were hits in Poland. Albums X and Light Years were succesful comercially, and Impossible Princess is her best work :cigney: This album is the original Ray Of Light :cigney:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

No. I am a Indian immigrant NOT living in the US. 

OK... Well "Fever" was her worldwide hit album, that's for sure. But that happens only once in every artist's career, really. She had been working for many years prior to that album, and she was highly loved in Australia and very well known in the UK, where she was very successful during "Light Years". And you can't (and shouldn't) compare everything to "Fever", but she did great with "Body Language" too. Also, she kinda has a "cult following" (like Cher, or even better, BRITNEY!), so she'll always get a good response from her hardcore fanbase. At least that's how I feel and what I get from here.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

OK... Well "Fever" was her worldwide hit album, that's for sure. But that happens only once in every artist's career, really. She had been working for many years prior to that album, and she was highly loved in Australia and very well known in the UK, where she was very successful during "Light Years". And you can't (and shouldn't) compare everything to "Fever", but she did great with "Body Language" too. Also, she kinda has a "cult following" (like Cher, or even better, BRITNEY!), so she'll always get a good response from her hardcore fanbase. At least that's how I feel and what I get from here.

Ohhhh ok.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:19 AM, Blackout2006 said:

So out of 15 albums which of them were hits besides fever, obviously?

tbh none of her albums have been a hit in north america outside of maybe fever but fever didn't do THAT well..it's only platinum in the US. in all honesty kylie is really not very successful outside of the the UK and Australia, for someone with 14 albums and pop legend status she hasn't had very amazing sales at all. fever accounts for a disproportionate amount of her sales alongside her first record, based upon chartmaster's write up of her...those two account for like over half of her album sales. she is a case of someone who truly just doesn't give up, who makes music bc she wants to. her albums are all certified SOMEWHERE, but usually it's australia or britain. she is quite successful in those countries, but it's isolated success. the US never, ever bit when it came to kylie...The Locomotion and Can't Get You Out of My Head both charted in the top ten but really, she's just never been a big name in America which is usually pretty awful news for an english-speaking-country artist as they don't have other areas (japan, south korea, mainland europe, latin america, emerging markets) to fall on. 

however, she's definitely an icon and i think the kylie listening guide no one asked for should be:

Kylie, Enjoy Yourself, and Rhythm of Love - these should be listened to but not lingered on. they give an idea of where she started as well as the general stagnation in her early career that probably inhibited her from being bigger later on. they have some cute songs, but nothing groundbreaking!

Let's Get To It - this may be her least successful album, time considered? but i think it deserves a second more than that in listening. her sound started to change some here, it's got a nice little bounce to it and some sass. good background music.

Kylie Minogue - this one is where she finds her legs some, i think it's a good one. it's got this cinematic quality, a bit femme fatale (not the bs album lol), and it's something that kylie nails. the track confide in me is magnificent, and it's an anomaly in that it did great (in Australia at least) unlike most anything else she put out in most of the 90's. this one deserves a good long listen.

Impossible Princess - she was going thru it at this point in time but this is a gem of an album. there is an association of Impossible Princess with the much more successful albums Ray of Light, Butterfly, and The Velvet Rope--they're all considered tremendous works of art by their creators, all coming out in 97-98 and exploring deeper and more personal themes than ever. this one is one of her key albums to ruminate on. it's very unique, it's a bit of trip hop * trance * dance pop * brit pop, it's pretty euphoric to listen to with good headphones. it has amazing unreleased tracks too, Free and You're The One are insane. The amazing Sometime Samurai was also originally recorded around here (it got released years later though but it fits with this album clearly in its sound)

Light Years - likely occupies the third most successful album slot for kylie. if impossible princess was a cloudy sky, light years was the bright sun hiding behind them. this album is so goofy and fun and gay sounding. it kind of gets passed over now in favor of impossible princess and fever but it's a fantastic one, i think it may be better than fever

Fever - this is her "hit". odd considering it was like, well over a decade into her career but yeah. it should really be consumed in one piece, not track by track. it's a lovely bit of disco-nostalgic dance pop and feels very natural and unforced.

Body Language - this is my personal fav and is one of the more successful albums, probably 4th most? maybe. it's viewed as a "disappointment" after fever provided success but imo is better. it's what i would consider one of the peak dance-pop albums alongside In The Zone and Loose (nelly furtado). also has AMAZING unreleased material floating around.

I believe there was a cancelled album that would've fallen here that got booted because of her cancer diagnosis. i'm not well educated enough to know truth, but i believe it may be represented in skeleton form by several orphan tracks that she has from this time period. it would've probably been a good one.

X - this one is an oddball. i like it a lot. it has quite a few amazing songs, speakerphone/sensitized/in my arms is a three track sequence that blows me away each time. nothing else from this time period of music sounds like those three tracks. it has like 3-4 clunkers though that tried hard to sound like American style, rnb-tinged pop that just feel like pandering and not Kylie at all to me....it didn't bring her back to the top of her game either way though. it has SO many good unreleased songs but idk if i've ever seen such a huge list of material recorded for one album. like...50 tracks or something for this album, it's insane. many unreleased ones would've been better off on the tracklist than some that made it....but i digress

Aphrodite - kylie's take on the late 00's/early 10's electropop sound. it's cute. i find it kind of bland a lot, but it's very cute uplifting pop music, a lot like this a lot. i think it had a better digital performance than most of her work, but even it couldn't crack the US market.

Kiss Me Once, Sleepwalker, & Kylie + Garibay  - burn kiss me once with fire. it was clearly a final attempt at american appeal and it's by far her worst album imo...generic as all hell. the other two are collaborative efforts with the producer Fernando Garibay and are x1000 better

Golden - her "country" album so, since it's kylie, it's pop music wearing a cowboy hat lmfao. it's cute. feels much more kylie than KMO. did better in the UK as well. worth a listen!

1 hour ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

tbh none of her albums have been a hit in north america outside of maybe fever but fever didn't do THAT well..it's only platinum in the US. in all honesty kylie is really not very successful outside of the the UK and Australia, for someone with 14 albums and pop legend status she hasn't had very amazing sales at all. fever accounts for a disproportionate amount of her sales alongside her first record, based upon chartmaster's write up of her...those two account for like over half of her album sales. she is a case of someone who truly just doesn't give up, who makes music bc she wants to. her albums are all certified SOMEWHERE, but usually it's australia or britain. she is quite successful in those countries, but it's isolated success. the US never, ever bit when it came to kylie...The Locomotion and Can't Get You Out of My Head both charted in the top ten but really, she's just never been a big name in America which is usually pretty awful news for an english-speaking-country artist as they don't have other areas (japan, south korea, mainland europe, latin america, emerging markets) to fall on. 

however, she's definitely an icon and i think the kylie listening guide no one asked for should be:

Reveal hidden contents

Kylie, Enjoy Yourself, and Rhythm of Love - these should be listened to but not lingered on. they give an idea of where she started as well as the general stagnation in her early career that probably inhibited her from being bigger later on. they have some cute songs, but nothing groundbreaking!

Let's Get To It - this may be her least successful album, time considered? but i think it deserves a second more than that in listening. her sound started to change some here, it's got a nice little bounce to it and some sass. good background music.

Kylie Minogue - this one is where she finds her legs some, i think it's a good one. it's got this cinematic quality, a bit femme fatale (not the bs album lol), and it's something that kylie nails. the track confide in me is magnificent, and it's an anomaly in that it did great (in Australia at least) unlike most anything else she put out in most of the 90's. this one deserves a good long listen.

Impossible Princess - she was going thru it at this point in time but this is a gem of an album. there is an association of Impossible Princess with the much more successful albums Ray of Light, Butterfly, and The Velvet Rope--they're all considered tremendous works of art by their creators, all coming out in 97-98 and exploring deeper and more personal themes than ever. this one is one of her key albums to ruminate on. it's very unique, it's a bit of trip hop * trance * dance pop * brit pop, it's pretty euphoric to listen to with good headphones. it has amazing unreleased tracks too, Free and You're The One are insane. The amazing Sometime Samurai was also originally recorded around here (it got released years later though but it fits with this album clearly in its sound)

Light Years - likely occupies the third most successful album slot for kylie. if impossible princess was a cloudy sky, light years was the bright sun hiding behind them. this album is so goofy and fun and gay sounding. it kind of gets passed over now in favor of impossible princess and fever but it's a fantastic one, i think it may be better than fever

Fever - this is her "hit". odd considering it was like, well over a decade into her career but yeah. it should really be consumed in one piece, not track by track. it's a lovely bit of disco-nostalgic dance pop and feels very natural and unforced.

Body Language - this is my personal fav and is one of the more successful albums, probably 4th most? maybe. it's viewed as a "disappointment" after fever provided success but imo is better. it's what i would consider one of the peak dance-pop albums alongside In The Zone and Loose (nelly furtado). also has AMAZING unreleased material floating around.

I believe there was a cancelled album that would've fallen here that got booted because of her cancer diagnosis. i'm not well educated enough to know truth, but i believe it may be represented in skeleton form by several orphan tracks that she has from this time period. it would've probably been a good one.

X - this one is an oddball. i like it a lot. it has quite a few amazing songs, speakerphone/sensitized/in my arms is a three track sequence that blows me away each time. nothing else from this time period of music sounds like those three tracks. it has like 3-4 clunkers though that tried hard to sound like American style, rnb-tinged pop that just feel like pandering and not Kylie at all to me....it didn't bring her back to the top of her game either way though. it has SO many good unreleased songs but idk if i've ever seen such a huge list of material recorded for one album. like...50 tracks or something for this album, it's insane. many unreleased ones would've been better off on the tracklist than some that made it....but i digress

Aphrodite - kylie's take on the late 00's/early 10's electropop sound. it's cute. i find it kind of bland a lot, but it's very cute uplifting pop music, a lot like this a lot. i think it had a better digital performance than most of her work, but even it couldn't crack the US market.

Kiss Me Once, Sleepwalker, & Kylie + Garibay  - burn kiss me once with fire. it was clearly a final attempt at american appeal and it's by far her worst album imo...generic as all hell. the other two are collaborative efforts with the producer Fernando Garibay and are x1000 better

Golden - her "country" album so, since it's kylie, it's pop music wearing a cowboy hat lmfao. it's cute. feels much more kylie than KMO. did better in the UK as well. worth a listen!

No I was talking intentionally wise, which are her successful albums. I know she isn’t that popular in US. However, fever has sold 12 million copies WW how is that bad?

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.