How bad is the Music industry...

The Greatest Show

Hey guys Im working on a projekt about how awful the music industry is even to big artists and wanted as many examples as possible. I know there are a lot but for some reason I cant think of that many. Gaga and Lovato seem to complain a lot so maybe there are some fans here who can tell me some stuff??  I put this in the Britney section because Im sure yall can think of a couple of ways Britney was screwed over.  (Please no Rumors or things that you think happened, just confirmed stuff) So far I only have:

Despite Britney having a minor knee injury during the Onyx Hotel tour they pushed her (kept the tour going, rerhersals for Outrageous and then ultimatley Outrageous shoot)  and she ended up having a serious injury on the set of Outrageous.

19529577c8e07df84d889cf87277fe7a2417ed09

In 1998 Brian from the Backstreet Boys had open heart surgery and the tour was not resceduled. He needed Oxygen tanks and had paramedics backstage to keep going and said in interviews that’s when he realized he was only a money machine to them. + he actually had to rescedule his life saving surgery TWICE becaue of their tour schedule.

54385588d4a2bbd03b6e805dbfd3f16d6ec1778b

Christina was forced to try on outfits in front of her male management and team even when she was very young and they commented on her body. + Had her on such a tight schedule in 2000 that she was unable to keep any weight on despite trying to.

086615805784962ad895d7ba420e9945ee2a6386

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about the term "bad" though. I mean, it's just business. And they have commitments and contracts to fulfill. That's just the way it is, unfortunately. I'm not saying it's right though. But this isn't about doing what is morally correct. They have commitments to honor and not being able to do that can cost thousands or even millions to their contractors and producers. It's called show business for a reason. It's so easy to pass judgment on producers and companies. People are gonna say "it's just money". But as with any business, they operate to make money and they do that by doing business. Either by offering their services or by receiving another party's services. And doing business includes, honoring your commitments.

Again, i'm not saying what happened to our faves are right but it's just the way it is. If you can't take it, leave. Everyone's replaceable and that is the tea. That's why our faves still work despite being in these harsh conditions because they don't want these opportunities to pass by. At the end of the day, they would still rather do it. They want it. And that's what matters. It's their decision. It's still MONEY afterall. Like it or not but even if they complain about these things, i'm sure they sleep very soundly at night in their california king beds after getting paid with a $3 million check for just a 60 minute appearance/performance. You know what i mean? Also, it's not all the time that popstars complain because they are really upset about their situation, it's also a good publicity move. Take it from me. Especially in today's climate, people eat up vulnerability. They want relatability. And sometimes because they think they can relate to their faves with an authentic experience of their own, they think their faves are being authentic as well. Because it happened to them too. But not all the time. Sometimes stories are exaggerated by stars because that's what they (audience) want to hear.

But i do sympathize with our faves. ❤

I'm very interested to read all the other horror stories of our faves so keep 'em coming.

• Super Mods

Well, a musician explained to me that record companies don’t technically fund you with their own money. They are never at a loss, only gain, it’s the artist themselves that get screwed because you know all those expensive videos you did? Well we need to pay for that, those flights to Sweden to record with Max Martin? We have to pay for it somehow, etc that’s how lots of one hit wonders become broke. How the record labels get the artist to become slaves to them is by technically putting them into debt and they are basically working to pay it off. Now a lot has changed but it’s still the same concept because theirs talent scouts, agents, managers they all want their percentage so that big million check you got turns out to be pennies and you’re the one doing all the work. Actually Lance bass covers this in his boyband documentary too

8 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

I put this in the Britney section because Im sure yall can think of a couple of ways Britney was screwed over.  (Please no Rumors or things that you think happened, just confirmed stuff) So far I only have:

Despite Britney having a minor knee injury during the Onyx Hotel tour they pushed her (kept the tour going, rerhersals for Outrageous and then ultimatley Outrageous shoot)  and she ended up having a serious injury on the set of Outrageous.

19529577c8e07df84d889cf87277fe7a2417ed09

3 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Well, a musician explained to me that record companies don’t technically fund you with their own money. They are never at a loss, only gain, it’s the artist themselves that get screwed because you know all those expensive videos you did? Well we need to pay for that, those flights to Sweden to record with Max Martin? We have to pay for it somehow, etc that’s how lots of one hit wonders become broke. How the record labels get the artist to become slaves to them is by technically putting them into debt and they are basically working to pay it off. Now a lot has changed but it’s still the same concept because theirs talent scouts, agents, managers they all want their percentage so that big million check you got turns out to be pennies and you’re the one doing all the work. Actually Lance bass covers this in his boyband documentary too

Of course a record company's most pressing interests are that of the record company and its vitality.  Nobody can deny Jive made the right decisions with Britney only from the vantage point of their own interests.

But The OP's post about Britney's TWO 2004 injuries shows that Britney's career was doomed way before both Kevin Federline and Chaotic.  And Unlike Brian Litrell and Christina Aguilera, Britney's performing career was not built on live singing.

What I've contended is that Britney should not have resigned with Jive in late 2004 after In The Zone and the Greatest Hits Album, because her contract WAS UP.

Along with her perfumes, she could have started her own fashion brand in 2004 like Jessica Simpson which, in 2004, would have been FAR BIGGER than Jessica Simpson's and later Rihanna's brand.

And she would have also had the resources to find out how to start her own label in 2004/2005/2006 where she would have been able to control what kind of music she wanted to release, when she wanted to release it and, just as important, when to perform (No 2007 vma)

What was there really to come back to in a label controlled and also changing music industry after 2004 for a former teen pop star whose performing was built on choreographed dance?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived