How Much Streaming Services Pay Their Artists

redacted statement

This is something I've been curious about for a while and today, when it once again popped into my head, I decided to Google it and this is what came up:

Streaming-Music-Payouts.png

If you want to read the article itself, here's the link (article from December 25th of 2018). :bedtime:

Can't say I'm surprised, this is pretty much how I had imagined it in my head. Apple and Google can easily afford it, the streaming service that surprised me the most was Amazon. Considering Amazon is in the top 3 richest companies in the world you'd expect it to be less stingy but oh well. Also, the differences are much bigger than I could have ever imagined, I mean, it takes one look at the "total plays needed to earn minimum wage" column to see how huge the difference is between Apple Music and Spotify. YouTube doesn't surprise me one bit even if it's technically under Google. :idkney:

This proves Taylor Swift was right all along even if she ended up doing a 180 first regarding Apple Music and then regarding streaming services in general. :selenerz: 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Isla said:

Napster is still a thing? I thought that was a programme to illegally download music (like Limewire). 

initially it was but then it became like an actual music store or something.. these days I don't even think it's technically the same company, seems like it was bought out and then just whoever bought it out decided to use the same name / branding.. Wikipedia seems to give more insight:

Napster's brand and logos were acquired at bankruptcy auction by Roxio which used them to re-brand the Pressplay music service as Napster 2.0. In September 2008, Napster was purchased by US electronics retailer Best Buy for US $121 million.[26] On December 1, 2011, pursuant to a deal with Best Buy, Napster merged with Rhapsody, with Best Buy receiving a minority stake in Rhapsody.[27] On July 14, 2016, Rhapsody phased out the Rhapsody brand in favor of Napster and has since branded its service internationally as Napster[28]and expand toward other markets by providing music on-demand as a service to other brands[29] like the iHeartRadio app and their All Access music subscription service that provides subscribers with an on-demand music experience as well as premium radio.[30]

go figure.. :idkney:

also, @Shadow2003, you were right about the Spotify update.. it works just like TIDAL now and it's annoying AF (not just for free users but everyone in general).. :idkney: thankfully, when you select an album you can not only add it to your library (which makes it appear under the "Albums" tab but doesn't save the songs to your library because there is no "Tracks" tab anymore) but also "Like All Songs" which adds them to your "Liked Songs" playlist.. the "Liked Songs" playlist is basically the equivalent of the "Tracks" tab we used to have so that's a little silver lining for you, the only part that's missing is the alphabet thingy on the right side which is a shame.. on the other hand, TIDAL doesn't offer the option to add all songs from an album to your library so.. :bedtime: what's crazy to me is that literally 99% of Spotify's userbase have expressed huge distaste with the new update and they still haven't said anything about reverting it or at least brining back the tracks tab.. all they've done is reply with some generic, peachy-*** bullcrap about taking user feedback into consideration to make the experience better, yada yada yada.. user feedback my ***!! :grimace:

42 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

initially it was but then it became like an actual music store or something.. these days I don't even think it's technically the same company, seems like it was bought out and then just whoever bought it out decided to use the same name / branding.. Wikipedia seems to give more insight:

go figure.. :idkney:

Ooh interesting. So it looks as if it is a streaming service now? That’s interesting.

7 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

also, @Shadow2003, you were right about the Spotify update.. it works just like TIDAL now and it's annoying AF (not just for free users but everyone in general).. :idkney: thankfully, when you select an album you can not only add it to your library (which makes it appear under the "Albums" tab but doesn't save the songs to your library because there is no "Tracks" tab anymore) but also "Like All Songs" which adds them to your "Liked Songs" playlist.. the "Liked Songs" playlist is basically the equivalent of the "Tracks" tab we used to have so that's a little silver lining for you, the only part that's missing is the alphabet thingy on the right side which is a shame.. on the other hand, TIDAL doesn't offer the option to add all songs from an album to your library so.. :bedtime: what's crazy to me is that literally 99% of Spotify's userbase have expressed huge distaste with the new update and they still haven't said anything about reverting it or at least brining back the tracks tab.. all they've done is reply with some generic, peachy-*** bullcrap about taking user feedback into consideration to make the experience better, yada yada yada.. user feedback my ***!! :grimace:

I know, right? iss a mess :idkney:

I don't even get the point of this update. I feel like the aviation equivalent of this would be Lufthansa changing this iconic and timeless (although not my favourite) livery:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Lufthansa - Boeing 747-8I

...to this very basic downgrade:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania Lufthansa - Boeing 747-8I

Both are literally pointless and seem to have the "change for the sake of change" motive.

Archived