Did Britney create an image/brand that became to much for her?

KatLove

I've noticed that when certain artist creates brands or an image that seems like an illusion or out of this world they are always supposed to be "that person" 24/7. For example Michael Jackson(King of Pop), The Beatles, Elvis, and Britney Spears. Do you think it was too much for her to handle and is it unfair that we want that Britney back?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

You have to rememer that the entertainment industry is a big illusion

All these celebs are assigned an image and persona to portray publicly that's not really them in real life

gotta agree with you there

58 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

You have to rememer that the entertainment industry is a big illusion

All these celebs are assigned an image and persona to portray publicly that's not really them in real life

Are you sure about that? By all accounts Michael Jackson had a lot of control over his image and brands and was literally one of the first to understand branding in the music industry. The gloves, fedora hat, jacket, hair, ect...

3 hours ago, December02 said:

She became huge and she was a really talented performer that was extremely dedicated. If she doesn't give away her life like she used to, she can't be like she was so yeah, I'd say so. Her act was dependent on the "show". When you take away that intrigue it's not as great

That's sad.

3 hours ago, KatLove said:

Are you sure about that? By all accounts Michael Jackson had a lot of control over his image and brands and was literally one of the first to understand branding in the music industry. The gloves, fedora hat, jacket, hair, ect...

He might have been in control of that image but it is still just an image. Performers like to play a character on stage that are much cooler than they are in real life. Look at how shy MJ was in real life. He had so much passion when stepping on stage that he became the image he created but that might have been too much for him just like it was for Britney because they are just normal human beings at the end of the day.

8 hours ago, sarahbbyy said:

He might have been in control of that image but it is still just an image. Performers like to play a character on stage that are much cooler than they are in real life. Look at how shy MJ was in real life. He had so much passion when stepping on stage that he became the image he created but that might have been too much for him just like it was for Britney because they are just normal human beings at the end of the day.

yeah but michael gave always 100% on stage, music & co. like Madonna.

Britney nowdays... what does she do? just 'dancing' and lipsinging to her own music. and not even with passion.

I think it hurt only because she's no longer that person. An image can be changed and u can reinvent yourself. I do think she probably wanted to be a different type of artist but she also went along with that bubblegum blonde image in her prime, which now has us constantly wanting it back even though she's different so... 

I think so. But I also think it came naturally. The record label or her management team might have some idea of what they wanted to sell, but all the details of her image and performances, or I don't know how to say it, the execution of the plans her team had, happened naturally from her vision. They didn't plan every single outfit, or every single move onstage, or her hair, or her pictures, it all just flowed with the vibe Britney had back then. It may be too much for her to go back to that nowadays, because her perspective of things has changed a lot,  but I don't think it was too much for her back in the day.

I don't say JT was the best that happened to her, but I seriously believe that if they never broke up, she would've learned to deal with fame and all the chaos being Britney Spears represented, because she wouldn't have felt alone. And of course she would've mastered the Britney Spears persona as well, just like Beyoncé or so, because in her mind there wouldn't be any negative connotation with being Britney.

I think that's exactly what happened -- the weight of it became too much to mentally handle.

It may be why we see her excel and than flounder, and then excel and then flounder...Her Team has been trying to perpetuate the brand since 2008, but mentally Britney still comes and goes. She seems to shudder away from it just as she begins to pick up momentum. As if it scares her.

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think so. But I also think it came naturally. The record label or her management team might have some idea of what they wanted to sell, but all the details of her image and performances, or I don't know how to say it, the execution of the plans her team had, happened naturally from her vision. They didn't plan every single outfit, or every single move onstage, or her hair, or her pictures, it all just flowed with the vibe Britney had back then. It may be too much for her to go back to that nowadays, because her perspective of things has changed a lot,  but I don't think it was too much for her back in the day.

I don't say JT was the best that happened to her, but I seriously believe that if they never broke up, she would've learned to deal with fame and all the chaos being Britney Spears represented, because she wouldn't have felt alone. And of course she would've mastered the Britney Spears persona as well, just like Beyoncé or so, because in her mind there wouldn't be any negative connotation with being Britney.

Why do you think artist today can not have that illusion image brand persona that past artist had?

18 hours ago, KatLove said:

Why do you think artist today can not have that illusion image brand persona that past artist had?

I always blame Lady Gaga and the Internet :giggleney: Lady Gaga came out, and in a couple of years she put all the effort in trying to do a shocking outfit/performance after shocking outfit/performance, after shocking outfit/performance, and btw I always predicted that there was coming a time when she would start to dress up normally because that would be the new weird for her, but anyway, the thing is that if you remember still by 2011, some other girls tried to copy this outrageous style that Lady Gaga introduced, if you see what Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry were wearing at the 2011 VMA's. Gaga rapidly ran out of ideas, or maybe the ideas are still there, but people couldn't be surprised anymore, so she stopped with that in less than 5 years into her career.

The public became numb when it comes to shocking moments or outfits or performances. Then this obnoxious trend where everybody has to be so respectful of everything because everything can offend anyone, nobody can wear anything anymore or else is accused of culture appropriation, or racism or discrimination, current artists became so boring and the pop scene in particular, which used to be the one genre where performers could play with the style, the outfits, even the music itself. Now an artist has to be "real" and "relatable" and comprehensive, and respectful, and talented, and not controversial, and has to share some sad story so people can feel for them and use them as life example.They have to have a disease, or come out as gay/queer/etc, or share some childhood trauma, or I don't know, they have to look "real" to the audience, so any possibility of dressing up with a costume, creating a performance or music video with a persona that differs too much from the real artist would be considered as fake, disrespectful, incorrect, etc.

What comes around goes around, so there comes a time eventually when artists will start performing as they're meant to. At least for me, any kind of entertainment, whether is art, a videogame, a movie, whatever, is the place where we should be introduced to an imaginary world, with imaginary stages, imaginary outfits that people wouldn't wear to go to the street, and really, I don't find anything entertaining in a form of art that depicts reality 100%. What's the point of that. I don't give a damn about the songs being personal for the artist or not. I want songs that sound good, that make me feel good, even if they don't mean anything for the artist that sings them. Even if they don't mean anything to me, if it's catchy, makes me dance, or makes me cry, or whatever I need in that moment.

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
On 09/11/2017 at 2:58 AM, BoyToySoldier said:

Her fame definitely got to her. But we’re not asking for the fame to come back, we just want her to perform better.

I think being a popstar in general got to her 

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I always blame Lady Gaga and the Internet :giggleney: Lady Gaga came out, and in a couple of years she put all the effort in trying to do a shocking outfit/performance after shocking outfit/performance, after shocking outfit/performance, and btw I always predicted that there was coming a time when she would start to dress up normally because that would be the new weird for her, but anyway, the thing is that if you remember still by 2011, some other girls tried to copy this outrageous style that Lady Gaga introduced, if you see what Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry were wearing at the 2011 VMA's. Gaga rapidly ran out of ideas, or maybe the ideas are still there, but people couldn't be surprised anymore, so she stopped with that in less than 5 years into her career.

The public became numb when it comes to shocking moments or outfits or performances. Then this obnoxious trend where everybody has to be so respectful of everything because everything can offend anyone, nobody can wear anything anymore or else is accused of culture appropriation, or racism or discrimination, current artists became so boring and the pop scene in particular, which used to be the one genre where performers could play with the style, the outfits, even the music itself. Now an artist has to be "real" and "relatable" and comprehensive, and respectful, and talented, and not controversial, and has to share some sad story so people can feel for them and use them as life example.They have to have a disease, or come out as gay/queer/etc, or share some childhood trauma, or I don't know, they have to look "real" to the audience, so any possibility of dressing up with a costume, creating a performance or music video with a persona that differs too much from the real artist would be considered as fake, disrespectful, incorrect, etc.

What comes around goes around, so there comes a time eventually when artists will start performing as they're meant to. At least for me, any kind of entertainment, whether is art, a videogame, a movie, whatever, is the place where we should be introduced to an imaginary world, with imaginary stages, imaginary outfits that people wouldn't wear to go to the street, and really, I don't find anything entertaining in a form of art that depicts reality 100%. What's the point of that. I don't give a damn about the songs being personal for the artist or not. I want songs that sound good, that make me feel good, even if they don't mean anything for the artist that sings them. Even if they don't mean anything to me, if it's catchy, makes me dance, or makes me cry, or whatever I need in that moment.

Wow amazing!!!! But I have to point out that MJ was a real artist and he himself said all the songs he created and wrote were real to him and meant something but then again when he was on stage he was the Michael Jackson and his music videos too. 

Archived