Billboard: Should Britney Spears Have More Grammys?

LostInAnImage

So this article is from 2015, but remains particularly relevant today as many (fans and critics) alike believe that Glory was deserving of a Grammy nomination. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/grammys-2015/6458460/britney-spears-grammy-awards-nominations

It's also a nice reminder that Britney hasn't been entirely overlooked by the Grammys, as many people tend to believe. She actually has been nominated eight times, one of which obviously resulted in a win. Considering they preferentially nominate/award artists known primarily for extraordinary vocal ability and/or songwriting skills, seven nominations and one win is pretty damn impressive for an artist like Britney, who arguably has a reputation for being more of an entertainer/performer than a vocalist/songwriter.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her Grammy history:

2000 Best new artist: Britney Spears (nominated)

2000 Best female pop vocal performance: Baby one more time (nominated)

2001 Best pop vocal album: Oops I did it again (nominated)

2001 Best female pop vocal performance: Oops I did it again (nominated)

2003 Best pop vocal album: Britney (nominated)

2003 Best female pop vocal performance: Overprotected (nominated)

2005 Best dance recording: Toxic (Won)

2010 Best dance recording: Womanizer (nominated)

Five of her albums ("Baby one more time", "Oops I did it again", "Britney", "In the zone" and "Circus", which also serve as her most commercially successful) have yielded Grammy nominations. 

9 minutes ago, Dinirocal said:

Her Grammy history:

2000 Best new artist: Britney Spears (nominated)

2000 Best female pop vocal performance: Baby one more time (nominated)

2001 Best pop vocal album: Oops I did it again (nominated)

2001 Best female pop vocal performance: Oops I did it again (nominated)

2003 Best pop vocal album: Britney (nominated)

2003 Best female pop vocal performance: Overprotected (nominated)

2005 Best dance recording: Toxic (Won)

2010 Best dance recording: Womanizer (nominated)

Five of her albums ("Baby one more time", "Oops I did it again", "Britney", "In the zone" and "Circus", which also serve as her most commercially successful) have yielded Grammy nominations. 

Thanks for typing these out chronologically, I'm on my phone and too lazy. :snapney:

What's frustrating is how much commercial success appears to impact their decision making...Since the Grammy Awards are purportedly intended to acknowledge quality, rather than chart performance.

For example, since they considered Oops!...I did It Again and Britney as worthy nominations for Best Pop Vocal Album (which they were, IMO), then Glory arguably deserved the same.

2 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

I agree with the article that she deserved Best Dance Recording for "Till The World Ends." 

Rules were changed by 2012 and leading pop acts were no longer allowed to be nominated in the dance category (unless the artist gets featured in a DJ song). Thats why songs such as "Till the world ends", "We found love", "Tik tok", "On the floor" or "Born this way" were uneligible in the dance category. So it was impossible. 

I think "Blackout" deserved a nomination for Best dance / electronic album but her team never submitted the album into that category (so it was their fault).

and the only other two ocassions she really deserved a nomination and got snubbed were Record of the year for "Toxic" and Best pop vocal album for "Glory". Other than that her nominations are just fine. 

Britney career is legendary and she has hits that have transcended the  time line against all odds:kisses: and  what you can think over her as an artist whether you like her or not.:foh:  Also she has released solid albums that have been getting better over the  time  (eg, britney, in the Zone, blackout):staysalty:  however today we have basic groups winning  grammy like the chainsmokers :weusay:they should be ashamed :meltdown: but they are corrupt so who cares..

• 1 month later...
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM, ukfan said:

An artist as established and consistent as Spears deserves way more grammys 

Let's not forget that she helps write her own material 

Changed the pop Industry forever 

Changes up her sounds compared to other grammy winning artists who stick to the same sound for years 

Doesn't follow trends

Doesn't rely on current issues /past issues to sell records 

Has been on top longer than other winners 

Is more down to earth and more respectable despite her success compared to other winners 

Is completely original and doesn't rip off others ideas 

Helps charity's compared to other winners 

Worked harder at a younger age than most winners 

Her unreleased material is absolutely amazing and the only song she got a grammy for was toxic,  

That says alot about the grammys.. 

Spears is princess /queen of pop,  OFCOURSE she deserves more grammys,  but I doubt she's desperate enough to ask Larry to send cheques,  though I think it's about time someone gets their coins out and reestablish Britney as current princess of pop again.. 

Sick of these predictable award shows now :squintney:

Beyonce, Adele,  beiber,  fifth harmony,  drake,  Shawn mendes BLAH, BLAH, BLAH 

Yawn. 

brit_1_0_1445964693.gif

Britney is and will always be the eternal princess of pop. Theres no "The next britney spears" or "the new princess of pop". The same happend with madonna and mj. Britney is unique, shes a legend. 

Guest $elfish

Britney lost to people I have never even heard of except skrillix and lady Gaga 

ok I'll admit it poker face is "iconic" 

but how the hell did till the world ends and all these songs lose to artists that are irrelevant af these days:gtfo:

Archived