Could she sue Lifetime?

CharlieBlue8

6 hours ago, BritintheZone said:

I am guessing she can sue for slander and defamation if they protray her as something she is not. However being a celebrity it would be hard to win since the movie is based on tabloids . Lifetime can just say they read it on tabloids and didnt just make it up.

I think :lostney:

UPDATE:

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-law/libel_and_slander/libel-suits-public-figures.htm

so i guess she can and should

1 hour ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

It would be libel rather than slander. Libel is usually any form of defamation which is in a recorded or written form and slander is verbal (eg if I made a verbal remark about a lecturer to someone and it turned out to be untrue or I claim the lecturer did something she didn't do). Irish law distinguishes between the two but I don't know about US law. Slander is harder to prove than libel, particularly if there is no evidence of what was allegedly said. Here's more info on the Irish position of defamation: http://www.lawyer.ie/defamation/  US law is probably totally different to that.

She better take away everything they own and love.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods
38 minutes ago, MikeMasi said:

If her or her team does, shame on them. The commercials are stating all her accomplishments (selling over 100 million records, being an icon, etc). This isn't an attack on her. 

Its not like they are respecting her either when she didnt give consent and to show the head shaving? :thetea:

14 hours ago, BritintheZone said:

Ohhh:unbelievableney:

but would a movie be considered written?

Well a movie is recorded and obviously has a pre-written script so yes it would fit. I'm in my university library at the moment and I just got a book on media law. It talks about freedom of expression being a major part of defamation cases, but this could raise some interesting questions. How far can someone take the right to freedom of expression? According to the Defamation Act 2009 in Ireland, a defamatory statement is one which 'tends to injure a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society.' Under Irish law, that would mean if statements or anything were made in the Britney movie which damaged her public image or reputation or she was portrayed falsely, then there would be grounds for complaint. I'm sure US defamation law has something similar, but I would not be familiar with it. My college library has books on US law but it's not taught in my law school, even though we have a lecturer from the US (who also works as a media pundit and writes on US politics) who would be capable of teaching it.

What she should have done is taking part in that movie, telling her REAL story, and make a great movie that she would want everyone to see (even if it shows her breakdown), because people like honesty and they want someone to relate to and her story is actually interesting. It could have been amazing if she actually did that. But her and her team will always try to hide the truth and act like nothing ever happened, which is delusional and bad for them. This decade is all about telling your story and hardships, people LOVE IT. People may actually start being nicer to her and give her a break. 

1 hour ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

Well a movie is recorded and obviously has a pre-written script so yes it would fit. I'm in my university library at the moment and I just got a book on media law. It talks about freedom of expression being a major part of defamation cases, but this could raise some interesting questions. How far can someone take the right to freedom of expression? According to the Defamation Act 2009 in Ireland, a defamatory statement is one which 'tends to injure a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society.' Under Irish law, that would mean if statements or anything were made in the Britney movie which damaged her public image or reputation or she was portrayed falsely, then there would be grounds for complaint. I'm sure US defamation law has something similar, but I would not be familiar with it. My college library has books on US law but it's not taught in my law school, even though we have a lecturer from the US (who also works as a media pundit and writes on US politics) who would be capable of teaching it.

I took a law class last semester got an A :bopney: but we learned about defamation at the end of the semester and tbh I was over school at that point. From what I remember is that politicians and celebrities can sue for defamation or slander but they would have to show that the defendant(person they sued) said whatever they said knowing it was false or that they didnt care if it was truth. 

As for the difference of slander and defamation I don't remember  :giggleney: I am pretty sure it has to do with the way it was published like you said 

31 minutes ago, BritintheZone said:

I took a law class last semester got an A :bopney: but we learned about defamation at the end of the semester and tbh I was over school at that point. From what I remember is that politicians and celebrities can sue for defamation or slander but they would have to show that the defendant(person they sued) said whatever they said knowing it was false or that they didnt care if it was truth. 

As for the difference of slander and defamation I don't remember  :giggleney: I am pretty sure it has to do with the way it was published like you said 

Was that in the US? I think that's the same in Irish law. In Irish law (Defamation Act 2009) anyone involved in the publication of defamatory statements is liable and is regarded as a potential defendant.Generally media organisations/companies are listed but any individuals involved in production or distribution are liable. I'm sure something similar exists in the US, but as I said I wouldn't be too familiar with US law. Defamation is the actual act of publishing false statements/information and slander is a form of it which relates to verbal statements.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

Was that in the US? I think that's the same in Irish law. In Irish law (Defamation Act 2009) anyone involved in the publication of defamatory statements is liable and is regarded as a potential defendant.Generally media organisations/companies are listed but any individuals involved in production or distribution are liable. I'm sure something similar exists in the US, but as I said I wouldn't be too familiar with US law. Defamation is the actual act of publishing false statements/information and slander is a form of it which relates to verbal statements.

In New York City so yes its American Law lol

so she could sue but it be hard . Hope she does tho

Archived