MTV: Britney Now, Britney Forever

Toy-Soldier

We didn’t see this year coming, but we heard it from all sides. In Signal & Noise 2016, you’ll find the way we made sense out of all of that sound.

There is an Impact-font meme that's been floating through social media for years, reading “IF BRITNEY CAN MAKE IT THROUGH 2007 I CAN MAKE IT THROUGH TODAY.” The picture shows Britney Spears post head-shaving, gray hoodie zipped up, eyes wild with rage, as she prepares to strike a tabloid photographer’s car with an umbrella. Spears's public struggle with mental health was painful to watch, in part because we had no idea how it would end. We feared the worst. Almost a decade later, though, Britney is a high-functioning star with a highly successful Las Vegas residency that was just extended through 2019. Her breakdown can now be viewed as a harbinger; she was the canary in the TMZ coal mine. Her public breakdown paralleled the collapse of the boundaries of stardom as we knew them, effectively signaling the dawn of the era of surveillance mega-fame. 

Britney was one of the last true stars of the pre-social media age, an idol whose perfect image was sustained by distance — her place on the pedestal kept her inherent human flaws from our view. She led all of us over the threshold into the brave new world of celebrity, where stars’ daily mundane exploits are just as integral to stardom as crafted performances, if not more so. These days, even those who willingly offer up their lives as a commodity for fan consumption usually end up questioning whether they’ve made a deal with the devil.

very long article... but um... her vegas residency extension is it even confirm yet? :meltdown:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2962628/britney-now-britney-forever/?xrs=_s.fb_main

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind her extending vegas at least she will do an amazing show, with new setlist, more fresh, another spin. And she needs to be present on media - perform on award shows, tv shows, radio interviews. She needs to stay comfortable in vegas but act outside it too for couple of performances in europe, promoting new POM.

I want her to set different show

Archived