Is Glory really dead? - Updated Sales

iZacaree

Sadly yes the album is dead on the charts, even is October and where is the 2nd single? 

MATM was a hit outside the US, I mean was #2 WW!! 

5 hours ago, TheLightningThief said:

Britards, stop saying "ITZ flopped until Toxic happened" because it's a damn LIE. :quirkney:

ITZ debuted with 609,000 copies in the US (source), and 1,110,000 in the world (source).
Before Toxic was released, ITZ was still Top 10 in the US (source) and Top 5 in the world (source) AFTER SIX WEEKS from its release.

"Me Againt The Music" charted in the Top 5 of 20 countries (including six #1s). The reason it flopped in the US is because Britney was under radio ban from Clear Channel. So basically, just like the singles from "Britney", MATM never had a chance in the US.

Britney got banned on radio from late 2001 because ClearChannel asked Jive to let them be a sponsor for the Dream Within A Dream Tour and Jive told them they were going with AEG. ClearChannel got pissed off and banned Britney from being played on the radio in retaliation. This lasted from 2001 to 2003, meaning that the singles from Overprotected to Me Against The Music weren't allowed to be played. Prior to the blacklist, ‘Slave’ was actually receiving a good amount of airplay, hitting top 15 on Pop, top 5 on Dance, and #85 on R&B (becoming her first entry on the chart.)

When the Onyx Hotel Tour was being planned, ClearChannel again approached Jive and offered its services, and Jive said yes. MATM was out by then and had a troubled run, stalling even lower than Slave, but once the tour started Britney had radio support again, AND her blockbuster Toxic was the first song to get the benefit of full radio support since, and the people LOVED the song too. Everytime also did well. The blacklist finally ended in November 2003, shortly after the release of ‘Me Against The Music.’ (source)

:sofedup:

THIS

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheCharmedTributes1 said:

I love the album and I really don't have a clue why it didn't click with the gp. I mean her promo performances for FF were worst and the album still smashed...

But it's funny tho - I feel like fans are only pushing this idea of her "caring" about this album much more than her previous ones and being involved with it, only because they actually like the material. Cause if you look at the interviews (avoiding talking about Glory at all) and performances-wise (almost all of MM and DYWCO performances were pretty much meh imo and again - completely ignoring other songs at Apple Festival, iHeart and so on), she doesn't really appear to care much for it than she did for FF or BJ. Plus - the 2nd single is long overdue and it looks almost like we aren't getting any (I'll cross my fingers I'm wrong, though)...

Idk... this era is everything we could ask for but at the same time it's the strangest one...

Personally, I think Brit doesn't care because even with BJ she wanted Alien and her team just wouldn't put it out. They chose Perfume so she can sell perfume. They genuinely don't care about the music, and I would bet Britney has given up trying to pick her singles and promote how she likes. 

9 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

I think Britney has lost her spark. She's watered down her routines, disappointing die-hard fans, and taken out heavy choreography altogether in favor of armography. Post breakdown, that was fine and acceptable because folks figured she'd need something easier. But seeing how healthy she is, it just comes across as lazy, uninspired, and talentless. If she doesn't sing and she doesn't dance, and her performances are mediocre at best, and all her noticeable facial features that made her cute and unique have been shaved off/botoxed to death, what exactly is her allure? A pretty, plastic-faced blonde who flails her arms around just doesn't cut it. I mean, that was basically her competition back in the day and look where they are now.

Glory didn't stand a chance, and I would argue it has nothing to do  with Piece of Me so much as Britney just isn't stepping up her routines and making them memorable as before. They're boring and one looks the same as every other. I mean, when the highlight of a performance is an assisted back walk-over, you know it's not a good day to be a Britney fan.  This Britney would never have made it back in the day and nostalgia will only keep her memory alive so long. By the GPs reaction, her star has already faded.

IA except for the botox part. 

Just now, Erreur 2 La Nature said:

I didn't read but I think there's something more important right now than Glory's sales : Britney's image. She is starting to appear everywhere, to perform at award shows, at festivals, to do radio interviews, talk shows, etc... People had no idea she was still doing music and they are discovering her again, and that's a good thing. Her sales are not great but she's 18 years into her career, so that's not horrible either. If she wants to be remembered, she's doing the things correctly, and performing her old hits is a good strategy. Glory won't even outsell Britney Jean, other fanbases are going to drag her for that but we know it's not what really matters. The era is really good and Britney's in good shape, she delivered a masterpiece and is promoting it the right way. I'm enjoying it.

I disagree. It's one thing to appear on all these media outlets, it's another thing to kill it. Britney's performances are forgettable at best, save for a cute outfit here or there. If anything, she should NOT be performing/promoting until she has killer routines. I don't think it is doing her any favors at this point. Her name can't carry any album. She's milked all her opportunities post breakdown and either she brings it or retire. 

Just now, Erreur 2 La Nature said:

Well, 95% of the performances by popstars are forgettable nowadays, so what do you expect ? If you want Britney to perform with snakes or to dance like she used to, you're going to be really disappointed cause it's never going to happen again, she told it. What is forgettable for you, is not seen the same way by the gp. A performance is a performance. Britney is catching their attention, that's a good thing. 

Exactly. That's my point. Britney made a name for herself for being an act that could inspire the imagination, bring something new and fresh, and wow audiences. She was a dazzling performer. Don't tell me the GP sees it any different, because if they did see it as wow and amazing, Glory would be selling like hot cakes and she would have a ridiculous fan base. It isn't, and her fan base has dwindled to die hards like us who still carry a tiny spark of hope that our old Britney will make a comeback. 

Guest ErJ Spears

Yes. It's dead and nothing can save it, honestly.

It's her fault, that she released a mid-tempo album and single after that tragic aka Britney Jean.

She needed a smash bop like Till The World Ends or Womanizer to start a new era. And a full of pop bops album like FF or Circus...

She ain't Adele, Britney is a *** symbol and is known for creating very **** and loud music. I LOVE GLORY, it's my fav album, but it's not for the GP... 

And that low promo doesn't do justice too.

People need to realise:

1) As every year goes by, less and less people will buy albums. In the U.K, I don't know ANY GP who buy CDs or even pay to download a copy. It's all streaming and it is a FACT that it is hurting album sales; the industry itself is worried on a unprecedented scale.

2) Britney is not currently a pop culture obsession. She had her time, and now she doesn't want it back. In seventeen years, Taylor Swift will be in a similar position. We need to start recognising that Britney selling what she's sold of Glory so far, so far into her career, and when considering my first point regarding streaming, isn't a flop. It sounds nonsensical but in whatever way it MAY be disappointing, it's actually an achievement that she can retain the audience from album to album. Nobody thought she'd be around ten years into her career, never mind twenty.

Whoever said that it was her performances that aren't doing her any favours, I'm sorry, but that's not stopping the GP streaming her or buying a single. If people love the song, they'll listen to it, and it will catch fire. Make Me is an excellent song but it's definitely not a lead single. Glory has 17 outstanding tracks that are so well-produced, and it IS her best album ever, but I'd find it tricky to pull singles from. It's a very experimental record. DYWCO might be too generic, as might Liar (even if they're both extremely relatable). I think Love Me Down with a guest spot or Man On The Moon as it is. Slumber Party could either smash or be dismissed as Hotline Bling-lite. I don't understand why we have to keep criticising the MM video, but I do agree that a WB-esque visual was our best bet of sharing her new work this era.

The album's far from dead, and with some good decisions it will have longevity. However, knowing who's in charge is obviously not reassuring.

15 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

Personally, I think Brit doesn't care because even with BJ she wanted Alien and her team just wouldn't put it out. They chose Perfume so she can sell perfume. They genuinely don't care about the music, and I would bet Britney has given up trying to pick her singles and promote how she likes. 

This actually sheds a lot of light into what's going on. From what I've seen people say on this site, BJ was the last album before she renewed her deal with RCA, the album and singles I assume were not a success but her other ventures outside of music (residence in Vegas, perfumes ect) I will assume were a success. Being that it was her last album under her previous deal it was probably treated more as a "test the waters" type of situation to see how the new deal should go.

An artist of Britney's caliber and tenure probably signed a low advance/high royalty type deal. Her team probably used the advance cash to do the promotion you guys are seeing now which is a cross promotion for both the new album and the Vegas residency with a concentration on the latter since it is the real money maker for her. 

Britney is no longer commercially viable and I think her people are aware of that. Its actually smart business wise to handle things the way they are doing it, especially with the current state of the music industry, every artist has side projects to bring in more revenue. Why would her team use  advance money to singularly promote an album that more than likely won't sell anyway, when they could use that money to fulfill contract requirements to at least somewhat promote the new album & promote her Vegas residency in one big promotional run including going overseas and they pay nothing out of pocket. 

It's 2016, the model of success you guys are using as a way to determine whether this album was a success or not is old and outdated. 

44 minutes ago, MoodRing said:

People need to realise:

1) As every year goes by, less and less people will buy albums. In the U.K, I don't know ANY GP who buy CDs or even pay to download a copy. It's all streaming and it is a FACT that it is hurting album sales; the industry itself is worried on a unprecedented scale.

2) Britney is not currently a pop culture obsession. She had her time, and now she doesn't want it back. In seventeen years, Taylor Swift will be in a similar position. We need to start recognising that Britney selling what she's sold of Glory so far, so far into her career, and when considering my first point regarding streaming, isn't a flop. It sounds nonsensical but in whatever way it MAY be disappointing, it's actually an achievement that she can retain the audience from album to album. Nobody thought she'd be around ten years into her career, never mind twenty.

Whoever said that it was her performances that aren't doing her any favours, I'm sorry, but that's not stopping the GP streaming her or buying a single. If people love the song, they'll listen to it, and it will catch fire. Make Me is an excellent song but it's definitely not a lead single. Glory has 17 outstanding tracks that are so well-produced, and it IS her best album ever, but I'd find it tricky to pull singles from. It's a very experimental record. DYWCO might be too generic, as might Liar (even if they're both extremely relatable). I think Love Me Down with a guest spot or Man On The Moon as it is. Slumber Party could either smash or be dismissed as Hotline Bling-lite. I don't understand why we have to keep criticising the MM video, but I do agree that a WB-esque visual was our best bet of sharing her new work this era.

The album's far from dead, and with some good decisions it will have longevity. However, knowing who's in charge is obviously not reassuring.

Babara ******* Streisand sold way more than her. She's in the industry for like 40? 50? years. Being veteran isn't a valid reason for flopping when you were once ruling the pop culture. She was known as the successor of Madonna back then and now Madonna is probably doing better than her, career and sales wise.:verycool:

Just now, joe sp said:

Some fans don´t realize that we´re in 2016, britney is not the same, the music industry is not the same, the sales are not the same, and the GP is not the same... All she needs is a hit single with a good video and Glory will be just fine :donewithit:

At this point, the chance of Britney Spears getting a hit is as big as Floptina's. Lbr here.:donewithit:

11 hours ago, TheLightningThief said:

No. In the Zone sold 609,000 during its first week. MATM was a smash hit all over the world except the US because Britney was still banned from radio.

but its 2016.. people don't buy albums.. its hard to compare an album from the 2000's when people actually bought full albums... 

28 minutes ago, WootsWow said:

Babara ******* Streisand sold way more than her. She's in the industry for like 40? 50? years. Being veteran isn't a valid reason for flopping when you were once ruling the pop culture. She was known as the successor of Madonna back then and now Madonna is probably doing better than her, career and sales wise.:verycool:

Barbara's career was built on something objective, her talent. Britney's success was largely based on *** appeal. What was cute and easily marketable for someone in their teens and early 20's is not for someone in their mid 30's but yet almost 20 years later she's still making vapid, *** songs as she's nearing 40. She should take a cue from Madonna's Ray of Light and explore deeper themes in her music.

1 hour ago, Scrappy said:

I think Britney has lost her spark. She's watered down her routines, disappointing die-hard fans, and taken out heavy choreography altogether in favor of armography. Post breakdown, that was fine and acceptable because folks figured she'd need something easier. But seeing how healthy she is, it just comes across as lazy, uninspired, and talentless. If she doesn't sing and she doesn't dance, and her performances are mediocre at best, and all her noticeable facial features that made her cute and unique have been shaved off/botoxed to death, what exactly is her allure? A pretty, plastic-faced blonde who flails her arms around just doesn't cut it. I mean, that was basically her competition back in the day and look where they are now.

Glory didn't stand a chance, and I would argue it has nothing to do  with Piece of Me so much as Britney just isn't stepping up her routines and making them memorable as before. They're boring and one looks the same as every other. I mean, when the highlight of a performance is an assisted back walk-over, you know it's not a good day to be a Britney fan.  This Britney would never have made it back in the day and nostalgia will only keep her memory alive so long. By the GPs reaction, her star has already faded.

What a disgustingly misogynsric tweet. You really had to throw britneys face and looks in there when she looks beyond beautiful as a reason her music isn't selling?

the reason is britney was majorly absent in 2013 which marked a huge shift in music consumption and the industry itself. Britney is playing catch up now and the only way for her to reach a younger audience is for her to continue to promote and have people know her. Whatever your dissatisfactions with Britney are doesn't mean that's what everyone thinks sweetheart.

I think we can't compare Glory to ITZ because of the vast difference in Britney's media presence in 2003/2004 to now. She was out of the spotlight for a while now, and when she did try to dip her toes back in, it usually didn't go well (i.e. x factor, pretty girls etc.) and not to mention, she plays it much safer now in both performing as well as music videos. As fans, we can understand that but to the GP, they're only either looking for younger artists (talent is optional) or older artists who are very skilled singers/performers. The truth is, it gets harder with age when you're (1) a woman (2) a pop act (3) more based on dancing than singing. Look at JLo for instance, she had such an insane revival with On The Floor in 2011. But since 2014, even she hasn't been able to sell well despite looking great, dancing her *** off, working with relevant artists etc.

Sexism/Ageism often plays a large role in the downfall of female artists in the pop industry unless said artist is an absolutely EXCEPTIONAL talent and consistently so.... or in some cases, the artist has had to grasp people's attention through tabloid controversies to stay relevant.

1 hour ago, WootsWow said:

I'd say an incredibly high percentage of her fan base are the demographic who will buy the record rather than stream digital. It's also a silly comparison, as Streisand has MUCH more credibility and perceived talent than Britney.

I'm not saying that Britney isn't talented, but Streissand is in another league when it comes to vocals; that's why she sold more and that's why she's an exception. Britney is extremely talented, but her success is down to the quality of her releases and the pop culture impact she makes of each one.

My point was that Britney, who could have gone the way of 99% of her contemporaries, is still selling shows and remaining relevant. Her fans will buy her records, but her team need to get the GP back on board. Imagine if Toxic had never been released but they brought it out tomorrow; she'd be at the top of the charts left, right and centre.

Britney needs a fire song, guaranteed to be a hit on radio, to get people talking, and then the VIDEO needs to be headline worthy and released immediately. 

TBH Britney isn't a media obsession anymore. That's what she was built on, her virginity thing and the jail bait video right down to the comebacks.

BJ should've been a genuinely personal album, people were actually interested but her and her team lied and ****** up a good chance. They make her look like an idiot. 

I don't know about glory being dead but they should at least step it up and get a hit with another single, do a killer video. It would be a waste not to, with all the good press and people remembering that she exists.

Archived