Single #2: Slumber Party vs. Toxic

Britney M. Carey

OK, it appears that lots of people (not only in Exhale) are saying Britney needs an upbeat, dancy songs for single #2 a.k.a. Do You Wanna Come Over. They tend to think it's unlikely for Slumber Party to be a force on the charts for many reasons.

On the other hand, some strongly believe that special song, currently the most played Glory song on Spotify besides 4 pre-released singles, will slay everyone.

Basically releasing SP is kinda like releasing Toxic back in 2004. Remember how Britney pushed Jive, which initially didn't approve this, hard to make it single #2 because she believed in its potential and uniqueness, and it ended up being an iconic modern Britney song? I think it's the same situation with SP. Some think it won't receive commercial success because it's something 'unexpected' from Britney, which is probably another slow-jam song in this case.

Though at first I preferred DYWCO for #2 and SP for #3, now I go for SP. With a stunning visual + a few stellar live performances + effective promotion, I think it can be a memorable Britney hit. GP in general don't seem to be in favor of DYWCO, or any other Glory songs besides SP and Just Luv Me, much. Fans are more united this era compared to BJ, but Britney will also need support from the GP. If they 'choose' SP then RCA will make it happen obviously, since revenue is a driven factor. After that, Just Luv Me may become Everytime 2.0, and we'll get a revived ITZ era.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe you or anyone else would think about comparing Toxic to SP or ANY OTHER song on Glory. Toxic, when it was released ( and still till this day ) is a completely innovative, nothing-else-sounds-likei-it, genius mix of bhangra, electro, 1960's surf guitar, and *** kitten purring. It's one of the best songs of her career, and one of the best songs of the 2000's period. 

Contrast that to SP, a solid track but heavily influenced by the likes of Selena Gomez, Drake, Justin Bieber, and the current music scene. It doesn't hold a candle to Toxic. So no, it's not at all even remotely similar. Sorry. :angietea:

19 minutes ago, badunkahunk said:

I can't believe you or anyone else would think about comparing Toxic to SP or ANY OTHER song on Glory. Toxic, when it was released ( and still till this day ) is a completely innovative, nothing-else-sounds-likei-it, genius mix of bhangra, electro, 1960's surf guitar, and *** kitten purring. It's one of the best songs of her career, and one of the best songs of the 2000's period. 

Contrast that to SP, a solid track but heavily influenced by the likes of Selena Gomez, Drake, Justin Bieber, and the current music scene. It doesn't hold a candle to Toxic. So no, it's not at all even remotely similar. Sorry. :angietea:

18 minutes ago, BritintheZone said:

:boredashell: dont compare the two

slumber party single three or four:arianabye:

love me down or better

single number 2. Why? Listen to the radio:comingthru:

13 minutes ago, AaliyahNation1979 said:

:tiffeyeroll:

Do you wanna come over is like outrageous 2016 tbh. 

Slumber Party could smash like Toxic. But the two shouldnt be compared sonically, 

I still believe Glory is In The Zones sequel. :tiffsmoke:

I don't intend to compare the songs together. What I'm saying is both are unique, and GP seems to recognize it. RCA should take this as an advantage and release SP as single #2

1 minute ago, Britney M. Carey said:

I don't intend to compare the songs together. What I'm saying is both are unique, and GP seems to recognize it. RCA should take this as an advantage and release SP as single #2

Sp is tooo similar to mm . That type of music is kinda going out of style now. The radio doesnt really play it either. She can really have a great performance with midtempos(dance, she be criticize).

the only way it be a hit , be if she promoted a whole lot and that isnt happening

23 minutes ago, badunkahunk said:

it sounds nothing like bieber or Selena wtf :orangu:

also OP didn't compare the two songs sonically but rather within context of the eras

30 minutes ago, badunkahunk said:

Toxic, when it was released ( and still till this day ) is a completely innovative, nothing-else-sounds-likei-it, genius mix of bhangra, electro, 1960's surf guitar, and *** kitten purring. It's one of the best songs of her career, and one of the best songs of the 2000's period.

I just wanted to say I really like how you give so much credit to all the wonderful things going on in that song, it really is a masterpiece of pop music. Nobody else could have handled it like her. She tamed that song, and what a feat that was. 

23 hours ago, cho said:

I just wanted to say I really like how you give so much credit to all the wonderful things going on in that song, it really is a masterpiece of pop music. Nobody else could have handled it like her. She tamed that song, and what a feat that was. 

Thank you! I really feel like it was just one of those right-place-at-the-right-time type things. Was offered to Kylie Minogue, she passed and Britney took it, made it her own, and pushed her label to let her release it as a single. Everything about it is so serendipidous - not to mention the video was absolutely perfect for it and it may go down as the best moment of her career. Hello people she got a grammy for it for a reason, it's genius.  

Archived