Apple Music Gets Dissed by Britney Spears. Spotify Says Thank You...

TheGloryBritney

Apple Music bankrolled an expensive Britney Spears ad campaign. Now, Spotify is reaping the benefits and rewarding a ‘non-exclusive’.

Britney Spears is now getting double the promotion — and half the piracy — thanks to an escalating pissing match between Apple Music and Spotify.  The drama started when Britney Spears backed out of an exclusive release arrangement with Apple Music, despite a massive advertising and promotional push by Apple.  That included a pricey, pre-VMA television spot featuring Kevin Bacon, one that featured her new album (playing, of course, on Apple Music).
Britney’s abrupt reversal was partly prompted by a catastrophic Frank Ocean exclusive release, as well as allegations that Spotify was actively retaliating against artists signing Apple Music exclusives.
That’s still a mere theory, reported heavily but denied by Spotify.  Either way, Britney is now enjoying the complete opposite of a Spotify retaliation, and undoubtedly racking up streams in the process.  Instead, Spears’ latest album, Glory, is receiving heavy promotion within Spotify’s app, staring with the lead single, “Make Me,” featuring rapper G-Eazy.  The blitz is unaided by search, and could be complemented by heavy Spotify playlist inclusion (something notably absent on Katy Perry’s latest single, Rise.)

Whether Spears masterminded that result is doubtful, though Frank Ocean seems to have shrewdly played Apple and Universal Music Group.  After a botched Apple exclusive and a contract-evading double-album release, Ocean now appears to be earning millions from his label-free, chart-topping ‘Blonde’ album.
+ Surprisingly Fun Facts About Streaming Music Playlists…
Meanwhile, Spotify’s curated playlists are now generating billions of streams monthly (with one billion streams now processed daily).  Separately, research continues to show that streaming playlists are a predominant method for both discovery and overall listening on streaming services, with Spotify’s hand-crafted playlists a promotional pushed a big part of that picture.
And how about the album itself?  It’s actually not too bad, and surprisingly consistent with earlier quality.  Longtime Spears fans will probably be delighted.

:donewithit:

https://t.co/raY07UuGcS

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Miss Cootie said:

lmfao i dont understand anything

It seems like Britney had an exclusivity deal with Apple Music, but pulled out because she was annoyed that they were doing an exclusive with Frank Ocean at the same time and because she didn't want to lose streams from Spotify.  That's what I'm getting out of it.

I think it basically said Britney had an exclusive deal with Apple Music at first, like Glory would be exclusive on Apple Music for a week or something, that's why they even made an ad with Kevin Bacon to promote her and her new music, but after the Frank Ocean exclusive on Apple Music thing, the scene started getting ugly, Spotify was going to retaliate all the Apple exclusive artists, including Britney. So her team and label got scared and broke the Apple exclusive deal and made Glory all platforms available. Spotify wanted to show that they were happy about them backing out of Apple Music, so they started promoting Britney as well. So Britney and her label end up getting double promotion from both Apple and Spotify?

That's how I comprehended the article.

15 minutes ago, DirtyMind said:

It seems like Britney had an exclusivity deal with Apple Music, but pulled out because she was annoyed that they were doing an exclusive with Frank Ocean at the same time and because she didn't want to lose streams from Spotify.  That's what I'm getting out of it.

I think Glory was on its way to become an Apple Music exclusive but after Frank Ocean released, UMG stated that they would stop supporting exclusives and Spotify said they wouldn't promote the artists who had exclusives, so Britney backtracked from the deal with Apple and Spotify rewarded her for doing so by giving her lots of promo on their platform.

11 minutes ago, Orlando. said:

I think it basically said Britney had an exclusive deal with Apple Music at first, like Glory would be exclusive on Apple Music for a week or something, that's why they even made an ad with Kevin Bacon to promote her and her new music, but after the Frank Ocean exclusive on Apple Music thing, the scene started getting ugly, Spotify was going to retaliate all the Apple exclusive artists, including Britney. So her team and label got scared and broke the Apple exclusive deal and made Glory all platforms available. Spotify wanted to show that they were happy about them backing out of Apple Music, so they started promoting Britney as well. So Britney and her label end up getting double promotion from both Apple and Spotify?

That's how I comprehended the article.

About ******* time we had some good luck :yesplease:

Archived