I don't get it: why the predictions are so low?

Guys, I know there's been going on a big wave of threads, but I can't help it.

It's a question and maybe a enlightment. I am big fan of Lana Del Rey, as much as I'm Britney's.

Her last album sold 115k in the first week, and she's much less relevant than Britney and did zero (I mean, actually less than zero). How can Britney, who has sell tons and tons of albuns (even Circus who was recent was 500k), sell so little? I can't realy believe it.

Do you have any explanation? Even Britney Jean, which was released with zero buzz sold 107k. What makes Glory being predicted to sell 120k, being awesome with all types of promos?

Enlighten me, please.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The decline of sales in favor of streaming and illegal obtaining has been steep. The amount of people who stream select songs compared to buying the album is so dramatic these days compared to even just a few years ago. Think about when Circus came out, how popular was Spotify and Apple Music and all that back then compared to now? Its an entirely different industry and unfortunately because of how streams get converted into "sales" it will never compare favorably.

The days of high sales numbers is generally over. You'll see some really impressive numbers when exceptions to the rule occur like Adele returning to the scene from her break or a "Surprise Drop" or even when an artist more in their prime releases something (maybe Katy Perry or Taylor Swift). But for Brit to be hitting the 100 - 125k range after 18 years in the public eye with all the controversy that surrounds her is really quite impressive. I'd wish she were closer to 200k and I think this album deserves that but Britney is polarizing and many fanbases that would have bought her 5 years ago wont because they're too damn stubborn now. 

There are many factors I believe, we can agree and disagree all day about specifics but I think in general and most important is the decline of sales, Britney has been pretty much absent since Circus... Yes I know she promoted Circus and Femme Fatale but nowhere as much as she used to, BJ era was a terrible mess from all aspects, then right when the BJ era started she went off to Vegas. She has been absent from people's minds. We have this forum and we are fans so we know of her every move, I mean we have watched probably hundreds of videos of the same performances of her in Vegas, but the public hasn't. She hasn't do promo in a while. This era has been truly glorious and I think she's selling 100k because she IS BRITNEY, other artist would probably sell way less. If she continues the promo this era, and she "re-establishes" herself in peoples minds (which she's doing) then maybe we could see an increase in sales on her next album. So far, taking in consideration the Britney Jean era and her long "absence" from the spotlight I think the album is doing good. She still has more promo to do and as long as the album continues to sell and people continue to stream her music, then it'll be fine.

Archived