A history of playback and Britney Spears

12 minutes ago, Userxxxxxxxxxyes said:

She does loves dancing, i said that she likes dancing too but her voice was indeed her stronger point

I had not seen this point well. NO, Britney's STRONG point is gymnastics and dancing, not singing, which too.

1 hour ago, descg said:

She focused on dancing starting with the Britney era, which was also because she was working more and more (the Britney era was where there was the most promotion). And already in In The Zone she was exhausted, but for example she sing Everytime live on SNL. But people give too much importance to playback, there are artists who are vocalists and there are artists who are performers (and sometimes like Beyonce or P!nk both). Nodoby's talk about the playback of Michael, Janet, Madonna, JLo, Shakira or any pop artist more respected than Britney, one ironic thing was at the VMA's in '99 when Chris Rock made the joke of the introduction of "Festival of playback: Britney Spears and NSYNC" and ironically Britney sang live in that performance and I think Nsync too (I don't remember the Backstreetboys) but Chilli from TLC was the one who did the playback (it was pre-recorded), Lisa Lopez was the one who did the rap live and T -Boz barely has any vocals in "No Scrubs", but the cliche was only on Britney or Boybands (like because TLC was "R&B/HIPHOP") are more respected (Fanmail's singles are pure pop No Scrubs/Unpretty is pop), the others first two albums of them were more R&B.

These 2 things are performances, and neither of them has anything to do with singing. In fact they don't even have any microphone.

I’ve seen people criticise Madonna for lip-synching over the years.

I was a member of another forum and it’s all anyone would do. I don’t think it was fair, however, because it was based on vocals that were dubbed over tour performances. She was singing live, but post production turned up the pre recorded track for the finished dvd.

1 minute ago, SlideAway said:

I’ve seen people criticise Madonna for lip-synching over the years.

I was a member of another forum and it’s all anyone would do. I don’t think it was fair, however, because it was based on vocals that were dubbed over tour performances. She was singing live, but post production turned up the pre recorded track for the finished dvd.

Yes, is true. But the same, Celine, Whitney and Mariah, were the vocalist. You don't like playack? Don't paid to go a Madonna concert, go to a Adele one. I Prefer a Playback Festival that a Celine/Adele concert. But everyone have they tastes.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, descg said:

I had not seen this point well. NO, Britney's STRONG point is gymnastics and dancing, not singing, which too.

Her voice from when she was a kid was her stronger point she is a good dancer but her voice would have been phenomenal if it aged well but there was definitely potential if she could already sing like that as a child, her stronger point in her prime was definitely performing, she can do some gymnastics moves but not really gymnastics stunts and she was actually really humble about her gymnastic moves barely used it 

Edited by Userxxxxxxxxxyes

there's lot of people who are not better singers than her and have more realistic background tracks or even have their mics on more often. Jlo, Selena Gomez, Madonna, some K-pop artists, Justin bieber. So I don't really understand why they were never able to just turn her mic a bit on, and put a better backing track on her performances, it would've saved her of many many controversies. 

On the femme fatale tour rehearsals you can hear her mic is on even tho the backing track is playing, and she sounds good. so why not do it at least on the important performances? 

11 minutes ago, Userxxxxxxxxxyes said:

Her voice from when she was a kid was her stronger point she is a good dancer but her voice would have been phenomenal if it aged well but there was definitely potential if she could already sing like that as a child, her stronger point in her prime was definitely performing, she can do some gymnastics moves but not really gymnastics stunts and she was actually really humble about her gymnastic moves barely used it 

Yes but the things are like they are, first overwork, then a personal problems, then conservatship. Again no space-time. If she had had singing classes or more time in that area she would have improvised (like JLo or Rihanna), but things are what they are.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, descg said:

Yes, is true. But the same, Celine, Whitney and Mariah, were the vocalist. You don't like playack? Don't paid to go a Madonna concert, go to an Adele one. I Prefer a Playback Festival that a Celine/Adele concert. But everyone have they tastes.

That’s a very good point.

Britney put on a great show. I respect her for what she gave us as fans. I don’t need to make excuses for her because she was brilliant in her own way!

The Oops Tour was only full with pre-recorded vocals with some mix of live vocals. 

Her performance of Lucky on the Today Show was pre-recorded and later used on the oops tour.

In the Britney Era, she only sang live I'm Not A Girl. 

By the ITZ Era, she became a studio singer with some live vocals performances

Britney is the "lipsync queen" 👑 for the record ok GIF

16 minutes ago, Richie said:

there's lot of people who are not better singers than her and have more realistic background tracks or even have their mics on more often. Jlo, Selena Gomez, Madonna, some K-pop artists, Justin bieber. So I don't really understand why they were never able to just turn her mic a bit on, and put a better backing track on her performances, it would've saved her of many many controversies. 

On the femme fatale tour rehearsals you can hear her mic is on even tho the backing track is playing, and she sounds good. so why not do it at least on the important performances? 

I thought about that too. Maybe it was an artistic decision coming from Britney? She has always been insecure with her voice.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.