20 years ago today, “My Prerogative” premiered on TRL

Throwback to when they leaked the video treatment.

The singer ignores streetlights and traffic laws as her sports car speeds up a dark road in the Hollywood Hills toward a hillside manor, which has an air of old Hollywood about it. A party is in progress, which the singer gladly disrupts, jumping the curb in her car, crashing through a fence and splashing into the pool.
That sort of thing might put a damper on most people’s party plans, but Spears just crawls atop the car as it sinks and starts singing, “Everybody’s talking/ All this stuff about me/ Why can’t they just let me live?”

Her dress soaking wet and clinging to her skin, she steps off the car and goes into the mansion, giving partygoers a look that commands respect and fear. She passes couples making out on the couches as she makes her way into a stainless-steel kitchen, where gourmet food is on display. She grabs a butcher knife, walks across the kitchen brandishing the knife, and just as she steps out of the room, she cuts the straps off her wet dress, letting it fall to the floor.

While it’s not clear if she’s wearing anything now, Spears walks into a study, where a man sits in the dark with his back to her, watching a black-and-white film projected on a pull-down screen. It looks like a skin flick from the 1940s or ’50s, but as he watches it, his cigar smoke curling up and illuminated in the projector beam, it becomes clear that the **** footage is actually of Spears.

She then heads into a dressing room, where mirrors show all angles of her wearing nothing but her knickers, high heels, stockings and a short fur jacket, as she continues singing, “Why can’t they just let me live?/ It’s my prerogative.” From there she heads into a bedroom, where a dress is laid out on the comforter. She walks toward the bed and away from the camera, letting her jacket fall to the ground. She holds up the new dress as the camera cuts to the party outside, where people are waiting, anxiously, for something, someone.

What they’re waiting for, and what they get, will be the surprise of the video, which we won’t reveal here.

Seems like the only change was the knife scene, replaced with the sapphic lady.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.