VMA'S today: "Who’s going to rule the stage tonight? Is Britney making a surprise appearance?"

29 minutes ago, GirlOnTheMoon said:

The VMAs are so pointless nowadays. The awards mean nothing and no one tunes in...Gone were the days when 12 million + unique viewers would tune in. Last year only 913k people watched.

The performances were so great in the past it was when artists would show up and do something, shocking, different and want to have a great performance.

Now most of it is just basic. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
Just now, everybodygoesdown said:

It will be uneventful.
The VMA’s is over. Mtv is reduced to another lame reality tv channel. 
Hardly anyone watches award shows.
Nobody cares or puts much effort or budget in music videos because nobody sees them anymore unless in a tacky bar with a screen on the wall where they play vevo. 

Plus, MTV is mostly home to ridiculousness, they play that show 99% of the time. :miley_cyrus_disco_ball_stare:

8 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

The performances were so great in the past it was when artists would show up and do something, shocking, different and want to have a great performance.

Now most of it is just basic. 

Yeah so true. Now the performances are forgettable and MTV as a channel feels very disconnected from what it used to be. I don't even think people watch music videos on YouTube as heavily as we used to either. Generally speaking, I don't think award shows are relevant anymore, except for Grammys, Emmys, and Oscars. The award shows were relevant because we saw them as prestigious events and it was essentially the only times we could see our faves aside from tours or TV shows, but now with social media and people having access to their daily lives...That mystery is lost and people would rather watch small clips of their fave on the internet post-show. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
Just now, GirlOnTheMoon said:

Yeah so true. Now the performances are forgettable and MTV as a channel feels very disconnected from what it used to be. I don't even think people watch music videos on YouTube as heavily as we used to either. Generally speaking, I don't think award shows are relevant anymore, except for Grammys, Emmys, and Oscars. The award shows were relevant because we saw them as prestigious events and it was essentially the only times we could see our faves aside from tours or TV shows, but now with social media and people having access to their daily lives...That mystery is lost and people would rather watch small clips of their fave on the internet post-show. 

Yeah, it's a bit strange at this point for MTV to even keep the VMA's going, they play music on their sub channels, but they don't seem to be supporting music or artists with their platform hardly.

I think there's a place for music videos, but as you mentioned the music videos now days most aren't anything new or that great.

4 minutes ago, everybodygoesdown said:

It will be uneventful.
The VMA’s is over. Mtv is reduced to another lame reality tv channel. 
Hardly anyone watches award shows.
Nobody cares or puts much effort or budget in music videos because nobody sees them anymore unless in a tacky bar with a screen on the wall where they play vevo. 

I think that if the VMAs were officially canceled, it would open a huge opportunity for streaming giants like Spotify and Apple Music to unite and create an awards show that feels more relevant to how fans consume music now... Instead of sticking to traditional categories, it would be fun to introduce real-time voting and data integration (that way it feels more interactive and fans might want to tune in and vote), and they could make it so fans would get to vote live through Spotify and Apple Music. I think it would be fun to see data change in real time plus it adds suspense and it would make fans feel more connected. 

I'm sooooo bored and sick of the same categories or dumb categories like "Vanguard Award" as if they mean anything in MTV world. I would love LIVE voting, maybe a category called Playlist Battles, where artists create exclusive playlists and compete for engagement? Just something more fun and aligned to how we listen to music now... And obviously, it would be inclusive and global, because I'm sick of always the same artists getting nominated year after year (no offense to them, but it's always Billie, Ariana, Taylor)  

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.