Britney Spears didn’t have to go THIS hard at the 2007 VMAs, but she did!

16 hours ago, takataminna said:

This is iconic now but it was traumatic back then. All the hate afterwards, those magazines fatshaming her. I have mixed feelings about this thanks to that memory. :squintney_britney_confused_huh_what_umm_ok_glory:

Yeah literally everybody was disappointed in the performance during the time it took place.

We were used to DWAD/Onyx choreography level ... 

Edited by MortalMarshmallow
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Imnotcrazy said:

Honestly, she was iconic, 26 years  old, blue eye contacts, zero f*ks energy, the real brat. 

Does anybody knows any of the dancers? Maybe they talked about backstage n stuff 

One of the dancers was Aminah (who danced with Britney during DWAD Tour, some of the ITZ era, and FF Tour)

She spoke about the 2007 VMA's in an interview

Broadly: When did you first perform with Spears?
Aminah Abdul Jillil: It would be '99. My first job with her was her first VMA performance in '99. That was my first job with her and how I got that was the choreographer Wade Robson was her choreographer at the time, and my sister and I used to train in his dance class. When he was set to choreograph the VMAs for her, he called us and asked us if we wanted to do it. Oh my God, he called us at home, we were just—that was our first major job—and we were just so excited, so excited.

How did the 1999 VMAs differ from the 2001 and 2007 shows?
The first two were both choreographed by Wade Robson. Each time, the stakes were up. The first time, of course, they made history with her classroom style performance and her choreography. The second time the stakes were up even further, where we're all painted like jungle animals. She had a snake, there were tigers in the cage—twice the number of dancers. Each time the level of production got even better.

The third one was a little different because I think she hadn't performed at the VMAs in a while. In 2007 they were using her performance as the headliner, so the stakes were really high. Because it was the first time it was in Vegas, her team consulted with a magician, Criss Angel. He'd even come into our rehearsals because they were planning to have some sort of magic trick reveal. It didn't end up working, but they put a lot into that performance because it was her first time back in a while. I would have to say out of all of them that was my favorite one.

Why was 2007 your favorite?
Just because of the performance. I enjoyed that performance most out of the three—not to say I didn't enjoy the others, but that one was my favorite because of the production.

Did she rehearse for "Gimme More?"
She rehearsed a lot with us. I remember for that one more so we rehearsed first. They got us underway first with all the choreography because we did rehearse a long time for the 2007 one. I believe it was like three weeks—three or four weeks. If I can remember, it was the first two weeks was just the dancers, and then once they got us set, they brought her in.

Was she supposed to wear what she wore? There had been so many rumors about why she wore underwear. 
From my understanding—we're never involved in the wardrobe process—so what she wore on stage, I thought that was the outfit.

Did you have a lot of interaction with her in the earlier days?
The earlier days more so than the later days. Of course, on all occasions she's a part of the rehearsal process, but we did outside things, a lot of outside things. At the end of our first tour, the Dream Within a Dream, all of the girls—because there were four girl dancers and four boy dancers—we all got together, and she invited us to her house for a day of movies and lunch and that kind of thing. There were more personal interactions earlier on. Toward my second time around with her [on the Femme Fatale Tour], we did things like spa days, where she would rent out a spa for all of us to go enjoy the spa. She would come in—of course very sweet and she would interact with us in rehearsals—but it stopped there. There was not any personal things after.

• Love 1

It was hard for people to accept that she had grown up and was setting her own rules and **** all.

I remember watching the performance and first feeling shocked because she wasn't the media polished Britney I grew up with, but as the song went on I realised that was the real deal. I ended up loving the performance because of its authenticity, simplicity and the initial shock factor. The stage felt like her own private nightclub.

It's Britney, *****. :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao:

Edited by PMK

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.