Christina Aguilera, JLO & Kelly Clarkson among others did not make it to the BB 25 Greatest Pop Stars of the 21st Century list!

3 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

Watch them put Beyonce at number 1 

Bored Loop GIF

Nnnn that's definitely happening. Even though I'd argue Taylor or Britney should be ranked above her.

Xtina and Missy should have made the list. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Isla said:

Nnnn that's definitely happening. Even though I'd argue Taylor or Britney should be ranked above her.

Xtina and Missy should have made the list. 

Unfortunately, Xtina's career ended with Back to Basics. A shame, though… she was a powerful pop star up until that point, so I kind of see why they didn’t include her.

As for Missy, no girl. Just no. She doesn’t have a #1 hit song or a #1 album. She is influential, but she is not The Best. :nothavingit_whitney_houston_mad_annoyed_stare_whatever_irritated:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Pablitonizer said:

true.png

Couldn't agree more! P!nk is an icon but nothing from her has been impactful imo :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Thats not true, that era was M!ssundaztood, yes a 2001 album, but was a massive era with 3 super hits (Family Portrait was a hit too) and 14 million sales copys, but ok...

Edited by descg
  • Like 3
59 minutes ago, descg said:

Thats not true, that era was M!ssundaztood, yes a 2001 album, but was a massive era with 3 super hits (Family Portrait was a hit too) and 14 million sales copys, but ok...

As I mentioned. Disrespectful.

Watch Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo and probably Brit, making the top 5

The fact that Kelly Clarkson isn’t on the main list is crazy and disrespectful…

Has possibly the greatest pop rock hit, multiple number 1’s, the greatest modern Christmas song after Mariah, 3 Grammys, one of the most successful talk shows ever, was the first and most successful winner of American Idol, and is widely considered one of the greatest vocalists of this generation. I don’t understand…

P!nk and Christina Aguilera should also easily by on the main list. I’m sure there are going to be more than a few that are highly questionable inclusions. Highly intrigued to see who was chosen…

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Style. said:

Unfortunately, Xtina's career ended with Back to Basics. A shame, though… she was a powerful pop star up until that point, so I kind of see why they didn’t include her.

As for Missy, no girl. Just no. She doesn’t have a #1 hit song or a #1 album. She is influential, but she is not The Best. :nothavingit_whitney_houston_mad_annoyed_stare_whatever_irritated:

Even if Xtina’s career ended after Back to Basics, she had more success in those years than many do today. She’s sold more than many today and is still regarded as one of the best vocalists of this generation and all time to many. She should be on the main list point blank period. If looking at overall success and not just current popularity, then it makes no sense leaving her out. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, The Queen said:

As I mentioned. Disrespectful.

Watch Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo and probably Brit, making the top 5

They listed Billie as an honorable mention…  and I agree about P!nk. Very disrespectful and not right. 

Edited by jamesedward94
  • Love 1

Is this list based highly on current popularity? Seems like it. A lot of the honorable mentions are very successful…more successful than many today. Shouldn’t matter if they haven’t had a recent hit in my opinion. If they sold 20+ million albums and have multiple Grammys and memorable music videos, I don’t see why they aren’t on the main list. 

Edited by jamesedward94
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Style. said:

I see what you’re saying, but the first part of Xtina’s career was massive and she was part of the teen pop revolution in the late 90s/early 2000s. Let’s not forget she won Best New Artist over Britney at the Grammys :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: her big hits are still well remembered. And I’m not even a fan nn

And Missy? She paved the way for so many of the female rappers who came after her. 

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Isla said:

I see what you’re saying, but the first part or Xtina’s career was massive and she was part of the teen pop revolution in the late 90s/early 2000s. Let’s not forget she won Best New Artist over Britney at the Grammys :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: her big hits are still well remembered. And I’m not even a fan nn

And Missy? She paved the way for so many of the female rappers who came after her. 

This.  More than anything else, I'm surprised that Missy Elliot did not make the top 25.  NYC, especially Brooklyn and the Bronx back in the day was full of her music.  She influenced an entire generation.  Her music is literally iconic.  I haven't heard anyone drop beats like her since.  I don't see how Taylor Swift is more influential.  Who wrote this list?

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

Is this list based highly on current popularity? Seems like it. A lot of the honorable mentions are very successful…more successful than many today. Shouldn’t matter if they haven’t had a recent hit in my opinion. If they sold 20+ million albums and have multiple Grammys and memorable music videos, I don’t see why they aren’t on the main list. 

Yeah it’s a bit shady of Billboard. Who cares if Xtina does about 500 features nowadays and if Missy hasn’t released an album in 19 years, you can’t deny their impact.

8 hours ago, Pablitonizer said:

Over the next four months, Billboard will be unveiling our picks for the 25 most important and impactful pop stars of the last 25 years. But first: the best of the rest. These are the list of starts that did not make it inside the 25 top:

50 Cent

Alicia Keys

Billie Eilish

Cardi B

Carrie Underwood

Chris Brown

Christina Aguilera

Doja Cat

Dua Lipa

Future

Jennifer Lopez

Kelly Clarkson

Kendrick Lamar

Kesha

Lana Del Rey

Lorde

Maroon 5

Megan Thee Stallion

Missy Elliott

Nelly

Olivia Rodrigo

P!nk

Post Malone

Sean Paul

SZA

98ppwJ.gif

WWW.BILLBOARD.COM

Best Pop Singers, Rappers & Groups of 21st Century: The honorable mentions.

Britney is not in this list which indicates she's made it inside the 25 Greatest Pop Stars of the 21st Century! :jumpney_britney_green_excited_yay:

JLo = Ashanti

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Isla said:

I see what you’re saying, but the first part of Xtina’s career was massive and she was part of the teen pop revolution in the late 90s/early 2000s. Let’s not forget she won Best New Artist over Britney at the Grammys :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: her big hits are still well remembered. And I’m not even a fan nn

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, and I agree with it, but we have to remember that we’re talking about Billboard. As far as we know, Billboard tracks sales, units, streaming numbers, and chart positions. They even mentioned that Xtina is a powerhouse, which is why they gave her an honorable spot. However, everything she touched after Back to Basics failed to make any noise.

Her album sales dropped drastically, and she can’t even sell out a school auditorium. As far as I know, that Las Vegas residency had a capacity of 1,000 people, and she struggled even with that, if I’m correct. She didn’t get major deals or major award shows, and the list goes on. Meanwhile, her peer Britney Spears scored major achievements after 2008—it’s not even up for debate. Anyway, that’s just my opinion, and no shade to Xtina.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Style. said:

Yes, I understand what you’re saying, and I agree with it, but we have to remember that we’re talking about Billboard. As far as we know, Billboard tracks sales, units, streaming numbers, and chart positions. They even mentioned that Xtina is a powerhouse, which is why they gave her an honorable spot. However, everything she touched after Back to Basics failed to make any noise.

Her album sales dropped drastically, and she can’t even sell out a school auditorium. As far as I know, that Las Vegas residency had a capacity of 1,000 people, and she struggled even with that, if I’m correct. She didn’t get major deals or major award shows, and the list goes on. Meanwhile, her peer Britney Spears scored major achievements after 2008—it’s not even up for debate. Anyway, that’s just my opinion, and no shade to Xtina.

Nn fair point. I just wish Billboard wasn’t being so shady with their choices.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.