Is Britney The Ultimate Underdog?

Random thought but is Britney the ultimate underdog in the music industry?

She’s never had the respect of the industry even though she busted her *** for years. She’s had to prove herself constantly, even though shes a bonafide legend. People constantly doubted her intelligence, her singing, her songwriting, her dancing, her acting..and it’s been an uphill battle (even today) to be respected for her merits.

I also think that the fact Britney never pushed herself down others throats as a “serious artist” hindered her having more respect in the industry. She wasn’t investing in PR campaigns to elevate herself as a singer-songwriter or this super artistic person, because quite frankly I don’t think she ever cared to portray that image. All she ever wanted to do was sing and dance, and i’ll go out on a limb and say she would be just as happy just singing and dancing in a local pub. 

Britney TRULY came from humble beginnings in a small town, where no one really “made it” and even then she was able to break through to become a star. I don’t think enough of the public really understand how hard she worked to get where she’s at. And I think thats part of the problem as to why people casually disregard her. They see this white conventionally beautiful woman and assume everything was handed to her and it was easy for her, but mama was dirt poor and HUSTLED to the top.

And just to wrap up my thoughts, it’s really annoying seeing these industry plants popping up all over, claiming this immense artistry when it’s quite obvious they are being run through the same exact pop machine Britney was run through. The only difference is the labels are using a more modern kind of strategy to that of the late 90s/early 2000’s, that now presents these artist as “authentic” and “100% in control” of their music…when it’s never fully been the case.  And in doing so, it allows these overrated acts to be overexposed and over-awarded for mediocre, forgetful music and underwhelming performances. While someone like Britney who gave everything to the industry is paid literal dust in return.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Same thing people are doing to Taylor Swift, I've never seen someone get bashed so much for offering her fans so much merch and other versions of her music.

Taylor Swift is light years more respected than Britney Spears ever has been. I can’t see the similarity at all. Taylor is hellbent on proving herself to the point that she’s exploiting her own fan with the same recycled material. I respectfully disagree with your comparison. 

• Love 1
  • Like 7
17 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Same thing people are doing to Taylor Swift, I've never seen someone get bashed so much for offering her fans so much merch and other versions of her music.

That's literally a perfect description of taylor swift. 

19 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

And just to wrap up my thoughts, it’s really annoying seeing these industry plants popping up all over, claiming this immense artistry when it’s quite obvious they are being run through the same exact pop machine Britney was run through. The only difference is the labels are using a more modern kind of strategy to that of the late 90s/early 2000’s, that now presents these artist as “authentic” and “100% in control” of their music…when it’s never fully been the case.  And in doing so, it allows these overrated acts to be overexposed and over-awarded for mediocre, forgetful music and underwhelming performances. While someone like Britney who gave everything to the industry is paid literal dust in return.

21 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

Taylor Swift is light years more respected than Britney Spears ever has been. I can’t see the similarity at all. Taylor is hellbent on proving herself to the point that she’s exploiting her own fan with the same recycled material. I respectfully disagree with your comparison. 

I think Britney was more disrespected, but I think Taylor has written her songs and she is being attacked just for being 'boring'.

I think artists should release as much as they want it's up to fans to buy it and clearly her fans love it and buy it.

People are just pressed Britney's retired and Taylor and Bey and many others have surpassed her.

12 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

I think Britney was more disrespected, but I think Taylor has written her songs and she is being attacked just for being 'boring'.

I think artists should release as much as they want it's up to fans to buy it and clearly her fans love it and buy it.

People are just pressed Britney's retired and Taylor and Bey and many others have surpassed her.

Taylor can release the same album 5x if she wants, she’ll never surpass Britney.

• Love 2
Just now, monalisaney81 said:

Taylor can release the same album 5x if she wants, she’ll never surpass Britney.

She already has sis, as much as Britney slayed with her first 5 albums Taylor has already broken most records and is at the top in the music game for many years now.

Heck without Taylor and a few others there would be no music industry at this point.

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

She already has sis, as much as Britney slayed with her first 5 albums Taylor has already broken most records and is at the top in the music game for many years now.

Heck without Taylor and a few others there would be no music industry at this point.

But where is the impact in pop culture?? 

Edited by monalisaney81
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

But where is the impact in pop culture?? 

It's huge and she's still so young, Taylor is doing things most in the industry can't. Britney made her mark and now people are just living off her nostalgia and legacy.

Taylor has a big, long road of success ahead if her recent album is indication, that was huge to have 14 songs top the bb hot 100 all at once. 

britney always said there is room for every woman in this music industry. it’s sad that she was treated the way she was. but that was the time and she’s passed it. i do believe if it wasn’t for britney a lot of these acts would not be where they are now. i know christina is always a joke and taylor she’s just on top so she will get hate, just like britney. what’s crazy to me is the same trolls who bombard other threads are still here with the hate for britney. like whyyyyy? is anyone else seeing these psychos? or is it just me?

2 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

It's huge and she's still so young, Taylor is doing things most in the industry can't. Britney made her mark and now people are just living off her nostalgia and legacy.

Taylor has a big, long road of success ahead if her recent album is indication, that was huge to have 14 songs top the bb hot 100 all at once. 

No one is denying she sells. But where is her impact? In 50 years what are people going to look back on in terms of cornerstones in her career besides what she’s sold? One song blends into the other and if you seen one performance, you’ve seen them all. She lacks the IT factor and big pop cultural moments that her predecessors had.

• Love 2

Britney’s initially wanted to be a Shania Twain type of artist so I believe she wanted to be taken seriously as an artist. But the record company pushed her in a direction that consisted of songs she didn’t really care for so I guess she didn’t feel the need to do anything but sing and perform them. However she is credited with coming up with ideas for the music videos.

i believe In the Zone era was when she was shifting in terms of being more in control of her musical style and writing. Then when she became pregnant she started experimenting with less poppy sounds which was the alleged Mona Lisa unreleased tracks. I believe had she not got involved with Kevin her creative vision would have been different.

I feel if Britney did want to be taken seriously as and artist once she reached her mid twenties but circumstances got in the way which shifted her focus.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

No one is denying she sells. But where is her impact? In 50 years what are people going to look back on in terms of cornerstones in her career besides what she’s sold? One song blends into the other and if you seen one performance, you’ve seen them all. She lacks the IT factor and big pop cultural moments that her predecessors had.

That is yet to be determined which is why I said she's still so young and no signs of slowing down. People said the same about Britney's first 3 albums that they mostly sounded the same.

6 minutes ago, Showreel Channel said:

Britney’s initially wanted to be a Shania Twain type of artist so I believe she wanted to be taken seriously as an artist. But the record company pushed her in a direction that consisted of songs she didn’t really care for so I guess she didn’t feel the need to do anything but sing and perform them. However she is credited with coming up with ideas for the music videos.

i believe In the Zone era was when she was shifting in terms of being more in control of her musical style and writing. Then when she became pregnant she started experimenting with less poppy sounds which was the alleged Mona Lisa unreleased tracks. I believe had she not got involved with Kevin her creative vision would have been different.

I feel if Britney did want to be taken seriously as and artist once she reached her mid twenties but circumstances got in the way which shifted her focus.

Good point regarding wanting to be taken more serious during ITZ. But then her personal life took over & by Blackout she was very much in a “let the music speak for itself” head space and I don’t think she was seeking validation from the industry any longer bc she had her two biggest “awards”..her babies. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DiamondCircus said:

That is yet to be determined which is why I said she's still so young and no signs of slowing down. People said the same about Britney's first 3 albums that they mostly sounded the same.

But Taylor has been in the game since 2006 and has like 11 albums. If she hasn’t created those cultural defining moments at this point…odd’s are, it ain’t happening for her. 

Just now, monalisaney81 said:

But Taylor has been in the game since 2006 and has like 11 albums. If she hasn’t created those cultural defining moments at this point…odd’s are, it ain’t happening for her. 

I'd agree if she still wasn't having the impact she's having with stadium tours, hit after hit, huge album sales in this day and age.

Taylor still has a lot of growing and full career ahead I think the next 5 years will tell, but I think someday she will be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.