Britney and Critical Acclaim

We all know Britney has been severely underrated for her artistry and impact by critics throughout her career, but I think she’s slowly starting to get her laurels.

For those who have never heard of it, acclaimedmusic.net takes all of those critics lists (e.g. greatest albums of all time, best songs of the year, etc.) as well as awards like Grammys to quantify the most “acclaimed” albums, artists, and songs of all time.

The site was last updated in 2020, but is due for another update later this year. Although Brit continues to be underrated (the 557th most recommended artist of all time) she seems to be on the rise! She also has several highly ranked songs, her highest being Toxic (222nd greatest song of all time where they track the top 10,000) and Baby One More Time (569th greatest song of all time). These may seem low, but remember, this includes all songs from all over the world since recording began early last century.

Blackout is also “bubbling under” the top 3,000 albums, meaning it is highly acclaimed but hasn’t quite hit the top 3000. I think a lot of these placements will rise with the next update since several recent prominent lists have ranked Britney’s work quite highly. Notably, Blackout was included on the Rolling Stone’s most recent “500 Greatest Albums of All Time,” and Toxic and Baby were on the song version. Baby was also ranked the top debut of all time.

A few surprises for fans: Femme Fatale is the only other Britney album to almost make the albums list! Despite the weird shade it gets from her fan base, it’s quite a well-received album!

Also fun to compare her to her contemporaries. Despite Grammys being factored in, Britney does still rank quite a bit higher than the other pop soloists to emerge from the 90s.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Femme Fatale is doing so well because Lou manages it. She probably paid tons to media for that “critical acclaims”. 

Even if Britney doesn’t make it in the rank, I’ll still be happy. There are so many legends in the entertainment in the industry that never got the recognition they deserve: Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles, Judy Garland, Glenn Close, Diana Ross, Freddie Mercury, and so many more. 

I feel like Britney stopped caring about what critics or awards think after she lost to Xtina in Grammy. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block