Was 'Umbrella' rejected by Britney because of her 2007 incident with the paparazzi?

Fita

ef1f4754a11be620cb63d683a388c07ce1362ced 647a2b2e2aedaaed42db0bec3ab7a84e862facb0

Umbrella

In case you didn't know, it was offered for Britney during Blackout sessions, but she didn't use it. Rihanna did, so the rest is history. Did Britney's team or Britney herself reject this track because of the circumstances surrounding that umbrella incident with the abusive paparazzi?

A passage of Britney's book about it:

Spoiler

I grabbed the only thing within reach, a green umbrella, and jumped out of the car. I wasn’t going to hit him, because even at my worst, I am not that kind of person. I hit the next closest thing, which was his car.
Pathetic, really. An umbrella. You can’t even do any damage with an umbrella. It was a desperate move by a desperate person.
I was so embarrassed by what I’d done that I sent the photo agency an apology note, mentioning that I’d been in the running for a dark film role, which was true, and that I wasn’t quite myself, which was also true.
Later, that paparazzo would say in an interview for a documentary about me, “That was not a good night for her… But it was a good night for us—’cause we got the money shot.”

queen-riri-riri.gif

I'm a Slave 4 U

I just had a thought about the word 'slave' of I'm A Slave 4 U which in the context of race might have brought a certain weight to the song as Janet was singing it, considering humans past of slavery. And as we know Janet is a black woman, so it could have sounded weird or unconfortable for her? Written by the producers duo The Neptunes, I'm a Slave 4 u was originally meant to be hers. Or maybe she just thought it didn't sound great. 

ugh-janet-jackson.gif

janet-serious.gif

no-janet-jackson.gif

I hope I wasn't being disrespectful.

What do you think of it all? I'm kind of just fanficcing here, tbh :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching:

Edited by Fita
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

You know Britney fans are bored when they start coming up with stuff like this.

A simple search would tell you that Rihanna released Umbrella in March of 2007, merely a month after Britney's umbrella incident. So unless you're suggesting that Rihanna recorded and shot the video in a 3 week period, then it's safe to say that your theory about why Britney didn't record the song is fan-fiction at best. More than likely, Rihanna recorded the song in 2006.

• Haha 4
  • Like 4

I'm not sure about Slave and how Janet would have felt about the song. I think I read Janet actually recorded Boys before Britney did though.

As for Umbrella, I don't think so. The song probably would have been conceived around late 2006 (possibly early 2007, but that is a bit of a stretch) as the song was released in March 2007, but the word was that Jive rejected it because Britney "had enough material already". Again, I'm not even sure if that was true as Britney was recording for Blackout up until summer 2007 but that was their statement anyway. I always thought Jive just didn't like the song enough and that was an excuse. I can't imagine Britney singing it anyway. It was also considered for other artists before Rihanna eventually got it (Mary J Blige is one). 

Edited by Isla
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Sia said:

A simple search would tell you that Rihanna released Umbrella in March of 2007, merely a month after Britney's umbrella incident. So unless you're suggesting that Rihanna recorded and shot the video in a 3 week period, then it's safe to say that your theory about why Britney didn't record the song is fan-fiction at best. More than likely, Rihanna recorded the song in 2006.

We get nothing but IG videos of *** touching and twirling, yeah, this fanbase is bored as **** even if the delulu's say they aren't :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Fita said:

ef1f4754a11be620cb63d683a388c07ce1362ced 647a2b2e2aedaaed42db0bec3ab7a84e862facb0

Umbrella

In case you didn't know, it was offered for Britney during Blackout sessions, but she didn't use it. Rihanna did, so the rest is history. Did Britney's team or Britney herself reject this track because of the circumstances surrounding that umbrella incident with the abusive paparazzi?

A passage of Britney's book about it:

Hide contents

queen-riri-riri.gif

I'm a Slave 4 U

I just had a thought about the word 'slave' of I'm A Slave 4 U which in the context of race might have brought a certain weight to the song as Janet was singing it, considering humans past of slavery. And as we know Janet is a black woman, so it could have sounded weird or unconfortable for her? Written by the producers duo The Neptunes, I'm a Slave 4 u was originally meant to be hers. Or maybe she just thought it didn't sound great. 

ugh-janet-jackson.gif

janet-serious.gif

no-janet-jackson.gif

I hope I wasn't being disrespectful.

What do you think of it all? I'm kind of just fanficcing here, tbh :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching:

HA LOL I have never even thought about that. Im glad she didnt as much success as Umbrella had its a terrible song and doesnt fit the sound of Blackout. 

As for Slave for U that is interesting take on it. Though didnt Pharrell write it?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sia said:

Hi, Sia

Yeah, I feel bored when it comes to B news here. At least I'm putting out some contents or making some movements.

4 hours ago, Sia said:

I admit I didn't search that and I knew I could, but I didn't. I wanted to talk about it here with y'all. Sometimes I do search infos and other times I go here and turn it into a chat/discussion, it's more interesting. Maybe there would be even less threads in Britney's section here if everytime someone were in doubt about something they would search it. It's a community  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, RBFLOVESBRITNEY said:

HA LOL I have never even thought about that. Im glad she didnt as much success as Umbrella had its a terrible song and doesnt fit the sound of Blackout. 

As for Slave for U that is interesting take on it. Though didnt Pharrell write it?

I like Umbrella but I agree it does not fit Blackout sound.

Well, according to wikipedia (where else would I go??? lol) Pharrel Williams and Chad Hugo (the neptunes) wrote Slave. 

Edited by Fita
  • Like 2
On 12/19/2023 at 7:55 AM, Sia said:

I believe Riri acquired “we found love” on the spot, recorded it immediately and then it was released within a three week window. She don’t mess around. It could be true. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block