Grammy CEO Harvey Mason Jr: “Music With AI Elements 'Absolutely Eligible”

CentralCJ

• Content Curators

Last month, the Recording Academy announced a series of changes to the Grammy Awards to better reflect an evolving music industry. From those recently instituted guidelines, protocols involving technological advances in machine learning made headlines:

“Only human creators" could win the highest honour of the music industry in a decision aimed at the use of artificial intelligence in popular music”. 

"A work that does not contain human authorship is not eligible in any category”

Harvey-Mason-Jr.-grammy-billboard-1548.j
T.CO

CEO del Grammy Harvey Mason Jr. dice que la música con elementos creados con IA es 'absolutamente...

• Super Mods
19 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

Am I stupid, or does the post contradict the title? Are they eligible or not? :useeinthis_chew_eating_pink:

I absolutely questioned my reading comprehension after reading the OP :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Upon reading the article…

“Here's the super easy statement for the headline: AI, or music containing AI-created elements, is absolutely eligible to enter and be considered for a Grammy nomination. Period," Mason told The Associated Press. "What's not going to happen is we're not going to give the AI portion a Grammy or a Grammy nomination."

If a voice modeling program or AI performs the lead vocal on a song, it would be eligible in a songwriting category, for example, but not in a performance category, because "what is being performed is not a human creation."

It’s a little convoluted

• Haha 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.