VMA's 2000 vs. VMA's 2001

Which one do you prefer? Having a debate with my friend so I'm tryna see somethin.

Personally I'd go with the snake... but the iconic "la la laaa.. la la la, la la la la la la la la la, la la la la" at the beginning of VMA's 2000 will always be sung at random points in this house :bouncey:

Edited by Helicopterney
  • Love 5

The 2000's. It was just another level of performing unlocked. 

The 2001's is great, iconic and everything, but it's literally the same level as any of the other slave 4 u performances she did. 

With Satisfaction/Oops they did an entire new choreo and remixed the song.

Even in the rehearsals she gave more energy and epicness than anything anyone has ever done on a stage.

• Love 7
  • Haha 1

I will never forget the feeling of shock and excitement when I was watching the 2000 performance. I think the outfit change and surprise element really made this a memorable moment. And on the grainy low definition tv's, we were all looking at each other and screaming, wondering how naked she was 😂

Edited by BritneyWiki
  • Love 4
  • Haha 3

I don’t think newer fans can even begin to understand how epic they were… live. 

If I look at them today, they are both equally iconic and so much better than any of the current pop girls.

Even people like Beyoncé and Rihanna haven’t even had ONE performance that’s as globally iconic as either of those. But the original reaction to the 2000 performance will never be matched. That was literally the moment she became a legend IMO. Poor Christina Aguilera’s performance that night just cemented Britney’s status in comparison :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

• Love 2

2001 is my favorite performance of Britney's. The set, costumes, dance routine, hair/makeup, the animals... It was visually amazing and iconic. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it's basically the CD version of the song/vocals. I wish they had played with the audio a little more to make it appear live.

2000 is also amazing and iconic but I enjoy the visuals of 2001 more. The 2000 set seemed empty but Britney was fire.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

oh my lordy this is a tough debate:

2000 was ABSOLUTELY INSANE - what I really loved about this performance is that - less is more sometimes. There wasn't a huge set for this performance. A few props I would say, a costume change, and then a huge culture shock when she ripped off the pant suite. 

2001: from my understanding, this was the first time she debuted Slave 4 U/First performance. I think this performance was great, costume, dance, snake. All iconic. 

I think 2000 paved the way for 2001. I think she gave us a huge taste of how she was going to take on her career and show us how bad *** she was. 

i vote 2000

• Love 3

I argue about this in my head more than I’d like to admit. Back in the day, my answer would be 2000 hands down. For one, I prefer the song and the remix was fire. Also, we got great live vocals in the beginning. And then the shock factor when she ripped off the suit, it was EVERYTHING.

She knew she had to do something mesmerizing the next year, and she delivered. As a whole, the performance had so many interesting aspects. Her in a cage with a tiger, her costume, the SNAKE. Even the backup dancers costumers were perfect. You definitely felt like you were in a jungle. I loved when she waved the snake in those jealous *****es faces. Her confidence radiated and the choreography was flawless start to finish.

So yea, it’s really hard to choose but if you put a gun to my head, I’m going with 2001.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.