Celine Dion Trends After ‘Rolling Stone’ Leaves Her Off of ’200 Greatest Singers of All Time’ List

Z91

Christina is at 141 and Barbra is at 147. They still ranked higher than Taylor Swift which I don't understand. Taylor is a very mediocre singer. She sounds better now though than she did when she started.

Am I wrong at being just a little bit surprised by Britney's absence? She's never been a powerhouse but her vocal stylings are original and unique, and she's been an influential vocalist. It's obvious when you listen to Ariana Grande or Tinashe, and even Lana Del Rey -who is included on the list- named her as an influence early in her career because of her voice.

Britney is always impersonated (Ariana and Xtina did it on TV) so it's obvious that she has a recognizable voice that people imitate. I would say she is one of the most iconic pop vocalists ever, so her not being on the list is quite strange to me. But oh well.

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Lemon said:

Christina is at 141 and Barbra is at 147. They still ranked higher than Taylor Swift which I don't understand. Taylor is a very mediocre singer. She sounds better now though than she did when she started.

Am I wrong at being just a little bit surprised by Britney's absence? She's never been a powerhouse but her vocal stylings are original and unique, and she's been an influential vocalist. It's obvious when you listen to Ariana Grande or Tinashe, and even Lana Del Rey -who is included on the list- named her as an influence early in her career because of her voice.

Britney is always impersonated (Ariana and Xtina did it on TV) so it's obvious that she has a recognizable voice that people imitate. I would say she is one of the most iconic pop vocalists ever, so her not being on the list is quite strange to me. But oh well.

The list is about greatest singers in a broad sense. Influence, as you said. Overall impact. Quality, yes, but it's not a list of the most skilled singers. If it were, Celine would've been top 50. Taylor wouldn't be on the list, no offense to her. 

Edited by IsraeliMatt

Here’s the thing that many are missing with this ridiculous list.

RS says that this list isn’t about the “greatest vocalist” but rather the “greatest singers” based on not just vocal, but artistry, impact and transcendence. So it seems they’re looking at them holistically so with that said, if it’s truly not just about vocals then where TF is Britney or Madonna? Talk about impact and transcendence…they are the blue print for it.

So no matter how you spin, excluding either of them AND Celine is grounds for dismissing this entire list. You don’t need to be a music guru to know and understand the cultural impact that any of these singers had on the industry.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

The list is about greatest singers in a broad sense. Influence, as you said. Overall impact. Quality, yes, but it's not a list of the most skilled singers. If it were, Celine would've been top 50. Taylor wouldn't be on the list, no offense to her. 

That's what they are saying, ok but then where's Britney? The list is bull****. 

2 minutes ago, PaMisMuchachas said:

That's what they are saying, ok but then where's Britney? The list is bull****. 

Not a great list. Even if it were better, it would be bound to provoke strong opinions. I guess the best thing that came come from rankings like this is maybe people will discover some new artists they like. Ultimately, only a few things can be ranked in a way everyone agrees with (sales, streaming numbers, etc.). 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.