Why does Taylor always play the victim in her music videos?

3 hours ago, HeySister said:

Because she has a victim complex, always has done. I was 14 when I noticed it after Joe Jonas dumped her :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: she’s super vindictive too.

I highly respect her talent and would see her live but I never warmed to her as a person :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

You want us to believe that you as 14 year old noticed her supposed victim complex? Lol right, we believe you 👍

12 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

...so you're saying that instead of Taylor letting resellers rob her fans, she decided to be a smart businesswoman and rob them herself?

And on top of that we should love and applaud her for that, right? Therefore, she's fantastic and so sweet and thoughtful towards her fans once more. And of course, resellers are evil and she's the victim of the music business once again...

I mean she’s made a career out of robbing her fans blind (I was once one of them) :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

12 hours ago, nux1989 said:

:ponderney_britney_thinking_sunglasses_hmm_wondering_deciding_orange_blue: Me thinking which video after Rep did she play the victom.

Lover:  ME? no. Calm dowm? no. Lover? no.
Folklore: Cardigan? no.
Evermore:  Willow? no.
Fearless TV: no video:deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink:
Red TV: All too well, this one maybe?

I said since rep so that includes reps music videos too. I probably should have said since 1989 except it was cute back then which was a decade ago. I'm not mad at it, I'm just saying that it's tiring.

9 hours ago, LizeS_ said:

You want us to believe that you as 14 year old noticed her supposed victim complex? Lol right, we believe you 👍

Yup I remember it clearly. She went on Ellen and acted really snotty about it, kept repeating ‘some boy who dumped me over the phone in 28 seconds’ blah blah. She milked it for ages to make him look really bad. Was obvious what kind of person she was from that whole saga.
Then she bashed Camilla Belle, then launched a cat fight against Katy Perry…

& lol you can be 14 and have a general sense of understanding of people and how they act. :pika_pikachu_slap_fighting_hitting_mad:

20 hours ago, HeySister said:

Because she has a victim complex, always has done. I was 14 when I noticed it after Joe Jonas dumped her :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: she’s super vindictive too.

And I add that I noticed how she hung the whole document with her phone in her hand and couldn't be without it. She is addicted to social media and people's attention and what they think of her. Therefore, she observes and tries to manipulate people and plays a psychological game with them. I don't know what happened in her family, but I'm sure she still hasn't been able to find herself, although thanks to her current partner she has less time hanging on her cell phone. But to be honest, if I had a partner, I would throw away my cell phone and live a normal life. It doesn't matter what people think about you, but what you think about yourself. I think she is trying to look for reassurance in her surroundings that she is someone and that's why she does the things she does.

Spoiler

Sure I like her music and I bought her Fearless re-record 2CD, but it's only one album I will have from her. I'm looking forward for her debut and Speak Now re-records :shake_excited_pink_bounce_yay_pumped_anxious:

Oh she absolutely played the victim, outcast card for a good decade. For gad sakes, that was her whole identity through and through, but it doesn't work anymore as easily as it used to cause now she has even more.privilege than before. And honestly, part of what is refreshing about her narrative now (sometimes) is that she, somehow, became slightly more capable of, well, looking at the gadarn mirror. She says it herself, so it is nothing new. Whoever ignores the fact that her selling point was "lonely, weirdo excluded by friends and misunderstood by everyone" is deluded. Most of her earlier songs and overall character arch in the first half of her career were built upon a stifling self assumed moral superiority that was, at best, very questionable, at worst, an absolute contradiction. It is not a perception of haters, it is a palpable fact if you try to lay the sword and observe objectively her contradictions. She moved hoards of fans at her will to get revenge by proxy, whenever she felt it was appropriate and when questioned if she didn't feel bad for this, her answer was: "well, they deserved it, so no". She knows her fans are bullying dudes she dated for three months a decade later! I am not saying she shouldn't re record so they don't get bothered, but she doesn't ever try to say "let's just let the past go" or something close to the concept. Is it her story and her right to tell? Sure. Does she leverage it for marketing, narrative points? Absolutely yes. In her universe, only her hurt and moral values were valid, everyone else deserved to be massively ruined if she felt it was just. Funny how she complains so much about the Kimye debacle even to this day. As bad as that was, it was very similar to what she did to many, many others. 

Are we forgetting the song in which she bullied and sliut shamed an actress for going out with that Jonas dude, while claiming to be a champion of feminism? I mean..... Didn't she, in 2021, tweeted her anger against that Netflix show where she was offended by a very whatever joke about her dating a lot? A Netflix show produced by women of much less power than her?  Women that were harassed for a month and suffered with fans boycotts?

Has her narrative evolved? Fortunately, yes. And maybe that is precisely what seems new in her song, not the melody nor the production, but her (fake or real, dunno) willingness to explore the mere possibility that she is not always right and that maybe, just maybe, she has been running away from some truths, like yeah, she is also the problem not just everyone else? 

Isn't it interesting that her focus on karma seems to have a blind point? That in which she sees the karma happening to others, but when it comes for her, it ain't karma, it is just people's evilness. Oh, the ironyz

And even Swift fans with a critical point of view see this side of her.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.