The new York times pop cast, discuss midnights, say the problem is Taylor swift wasn't made for pop music.

The problem is a singer songwriter doing pop music,  that's why they feel Taylor swift lost on midnights. 

It's you see, the Taylor swift,  on Anti hero. 

And her themes are to obvious like Viglante ****, KARMA,and  maroon being about colors. 

They state if Katy perry did midnights,  this would be great,  but Taylor swift is known for her songwriting, and she needs to go back to country music where songwriting is crucial. 

So for critics midnights is mid and vault tracks,  and Jack antonoff is a big problem,  to them.

They blame him mostly saying,  this is her problem, she needs to collaborate with more songwriters, than a producer who happens to be a songwriter,  so Taylor needs to work with songwriters, cos Jack isn't a writer at all. 

But they state the backlash of songwriting camps also shows with just two writers,nobody wants to work with a camp anymore, and Jack antonoff needs to go away, from music they say, as he's not evolving as a producer. 

The album is mediocre, yet it is one of her best rated ever. Why? I think it is the cohesiveness and her attention to detail.  The reason why I find it mediocre is, except for a couple of songs, lyrics are weird and very teenage like, like most of her albums except for Folklore and Evermore. Music is absolutely nothing new. She is rehashin Bleachers, Lorde and Lana. 

I agree with some things they mentioned, but Antonoff is a songwriter and he does have solid songs in his catalogue, but yes, he is a one trick pony as producer.

• Love 1

This is a feeble attempt at diminishing her success. Taylor has been doing pop music for a decade now and she has very much cemented herself as a pop legend.

Criticising her because she is a successful singer song writer as a reason and therefore isn't fitting into pop music should reflect a lack of standards in pop music; that someone who cares about their craft is deemed an outsider.

• Love 1

I prefer her pop music though. While her songwriting shines more in country and/or indie folk music she's been able to prove she can perform across multiple genres. 

I like Midnights. Lyrically it's not her best album but as a Reputation stan I needed this album and I prefer it over Lover in terms of her pop albums.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.