This Day in Pop: 20 years ago, Avril Lavigne releases her legendary CULTURAL RESET debut single "Complicated"

7 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Yes Avril! The girl who slût shamed Britney and called her a hôe for wearing a bra and dancing around, yet when Avril started flopping she turned up the sëx appeal, bleached her hair blonde and was in her bra and panties a few years later! A cultural reset!

spacer.png
spacer.png

i like Avril but I’m so sick of the “anti- pop girl” because they always sell out, give into modern fashion, who shows off their bodies and basically are hypocrites. There is nothing wrong with people exploring their ***ualities through their art but it’s self righteous girls like Avril, Lorde, Billie who talk sh t about sêxy pop girls and try to diminish those girls artistry just because they use their sëxuality, and those anti girls win awards but the public lose interest in them and give them 2-3 years later and they are selling sêx too. 

Spillllllll :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

• Love 2

Avril was my first inspiration to pick up the electric guitar and I've never looked back ever since but this women has been nothing but hateful. The thing is that women themselves love to criticise women hence we don't dominate like men. Avril came out as a rockstar who wanted to create her own image and indeed she did but then why you changed yourself against your own thoughts? 

And I don't get this young excuse yes when you are young you do stupid things but you don't shame women and then do the exact same thing years after when you are facing underwhelming commercial success? The thing is that every female and most males were just plain jealous of Britney dominance she was outdoing her peers like nobody and remained humble and now people come out to support her. Let bygones be bygones but sometime you just feel so odd about all this, a women shaming women is so bad we don't like to even uplift our community forget about men doing that for women. 

Avril was a hateful women and she was definitely jealous of Britney's success maybe it came out from label pressure who knows? But Avril was still bad and I feel nothing but disappointment from such comments. 

• Love 1

A bop, but I wouldn’t go as far to call it a cultural reset. Avril was huge for a couple years, and then never really hit the peak she had with her debut. I mean it was only a few years later we were getting Gaga, and a slew of new Disney girls Miley, Selena, Demi - I suppose there was a little in fluence there as they started out more pop-rock ish than dance. 

I love Avril, her history with Britney is complicated (like many pop stars of that time Xtina, P!nk, Jessica Simpson and more). But she was a teen and it was a different time. I see some of my facebook posts from when I was a teen and I cringe. She said positive things about Britney more than negative. Also sometimes when you’re a teen you still feel awkward and uncomfortable about your body, maybe a few years later when she was a woman she felt more comfortable and confident in her skin you show it and be more ***ual. People do grow and change, I hope people in your life hold things you said/did when you were 17 and 18 against you. 

Avril isn’t even one of my top faves, but some of you seem pretty hypocritical for wanting her to be more tolerant as a teen in 2002 but not being tolerant of ppl changing. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.