Britney Inspired Provocative Revenge Thriller 'Promising Young Woman'

Justin Woodpond

"A woman's life derailed by a single event" sound familiar?

Emerald Fennell, the creator, director (and writer) of provocative revenge thriller 'Promising Young Woman', implies that Britney was an inspiration behind her debut film. And declares that Britney's Toxic - who's violin Instrumental is featured in both official trailers, as well as throughout the film - is the "greatest song ever written". 

Fennell and costars, Carey Mulligen and Bo Burnham, sat down with Variety last January while promoting the film at the Sundance Film Festival. You can watch the full interview in the video (and trailers) below. Britney is mentioned around the 3:25 mark.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nwonder said:

Looks soo good and right up my street! Love the toxic revamp too.

I hope they release it to UK streaming platform soon

:idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Thanks for recommending 💚

You're welcome

The film is really great. I'm looking forward to discussing it with others who have seen it.

It will be officially released on VOD (video on demand) on January 15, 2021.

54 minutes ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Have you seen it already?

Hide contents

What did you make of the ending?

Yes, I just watched it and I loved it. Didn't feel bored for a sec. 

Spoiler

It was not disappointing. Kinda a happy ending if you think about it.

I just thought it would have made more sense to have Nina being Cassie's sister. 

I remember thinking Carey did great on Drive and I really liked what the director talked about Britney, it made me want to watch the movie even more. I saw that critics wrote positive reviews about the movie, so I will try to see it in the next following days. Thanks for the tip @Justin Woodpond

5 hours ago, Louis-j said:

Yes, I just watched it and I loved it. Didn't feel bored for a sec. 

Hide contents

It was not disappointing. Kinda a happy ending if you think about it.

I just thought it would have made more sense to have Nina being Cassie's sister. 

Interesting 

Spoiler

I thought their relationship was a tad off, co dependant even, that was the only thing I was bothered by. Sister would have made sense. Or that Cassie was a lesbian/bi/queer/confused person and loved her. That could have been an interesting twist. 

Either way, it is great. Maybe a tv series would have worked too, as they could have fleshed out the story, back story and dark humour of it.

All in all, best film I’ve seen this year. It’s sure to be nominated for best actress and screenplay at oscars/globes. Mulligan is already winning some awards 

6 hours ago, Bundy said:

I remember thinking Carey did great on Drive and I really liked what the director talked about Britney, it made me want to watch the movie even more. I saw that critics wrote positive reviews about the movie, so I will try to see it in the next following days. Thanks for the tip @Justin Woodpond

Love Drive! The soundtrack is brilliant.

What interview with the director? I haven’t see it. Where can I find it?

You’re welcome! Enjoy! Then come back here and tell us what you thought.

1 hour ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Love Drive! The soundtrack is brilliant.

What interview with the director? I haven’t see it.

Where can I find it?

You’re welcome! Enjoy! Then come back l here and tell us what you thought.

Drive is soooooo good, I remember Britney loved it too! 

That Variety interview u posted here isnt the director talking about Britney and Toxic? Lol 

Once I watch the movie, Ill tell u what I thought about it :wink_britney_everytime_white:

5 hours ago, Bundy said:

Drive is soooooo good, I remember Britney loved it too! 

That Variety interview u posted here isnt the director talking about Britney and Toxic? Lol 

Once I watch the movie, Ill tell u what I thought about it :wink_britney_everytime_white:

haha it is at the bottom of the post (there are two trailers for the movie before it).

Great! Look forward to your opinion.

Britney loved Drive? I didn't know that. Maybe, it's because Ryan was in it, (and it’s great.)

carey mulligan drive GIF

Archived