Interview with 'Control' author Stephanie Guerilus

• Leader

control.jpg.2bdbcb3f1448233bb0fc113b37bc3151.jpg

Hey Exhale!

I haven't had a chance to flex my interviewing skills in a minute since the world flipped upside down due to the Coronavirus, but I'm so grateful I got to jump back into one of my passions again. 

I had the fortunate opportunity to cross paths with a writer named Stephanie Guerilus.

She published a book titled Control, inspired from the iconic Janet Jackson album. It's available on Amazon

Here's a synopsis below:

Theresa Marie Jenkins is a 17-year-old who thinks she knows it all. As the saying goes, a hard head makes for a soft *** and Reesa learns the hard way that she doesn’t really know much about life. Reesa quickly becomes an It girl after speaking up at a Black Lives Matter protest but her activism gets in the way of her career. She wants to be the next pop diva on the charts. For that to happen, Reesa will have to be packaged; smile and wave as though she’s at a beauty pageant. She’ll have to give control to advisers who want her to sing on cue, tap dance on command, no throwing shoes at parties and keeping her mouth shut on the culture. Control is a novel that addresses the political climate, #MeToo, identity and what it means when you are a young woman of color who the world doesn’t automatically think to protect.

Stephanie is also a huge Britney fan. She's been following BreatheHeavy for years, and had nothing but sweet and genuine things to say about B in our Skype interview together. 

We chat about what it's like being a writer and a creative person amidst a pandemic, her book Control, your pop faves like Britney, Janet and Mariah, and more. 

OH, and did I mention TODAY (March 31st) is Stephanie's birthday?! She got dressed up in a pretty gown for our interview to celebrate. 

I'd love for you to carve out 10 minutes of your day and enjoy this interview. Also, since we're all stuck at home for the foreseeable future, grab a copy of her book and indulge yourself!

BTW, if you're interested in joining BreatheHeavy's Creators series, please email me at Jordan[@]breatheheavy.com. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Hi Stephanie! ❤

Omg I like youuu. I wanna be your friend. I like that you're so brave talking about your history of abuse and putting it to writing. :gobaby:

I love the idea of Control

I love your self awareness. I admire and respect people who knows when something sucks and is not afraid to start all over again, and slay. I like people who like the slayage. I admire that in a creative. :crying1:

• Leader
7 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Exciting! :pumped: I want to become a writer, so I'm sure this is going to be insightful. Definitely giving this a watch tomorrow. :lollipop: Burried in homework right now, though. that's why I'm on Exhale :tired:

Are you going to school to become a writer? If yes, watch tomorrow. If no, watch now :kermit:

• Haha 3
  • Like 1
  • Leader
7 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Hi Stephanie! ❤

Omg I like youuu. I wanna be your friend. I like that you're so brave talking about your history of abuse and putting it to writing. :gobaby:

I love your self awareness. I admire and respect people who knows when something sucks and is not afraid to start all over again, and slay. I like people who like the slayage. I admire that in a creative. :crying1:

awe you watched! 

She really is super brave. I'm glad you noticed that.

• Like 1
  • Leader
7 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I thought the interview was gonna be with the actual songwriter of the Janet song, but congrats on starting this new chapter. 

The lagging didn't help, but hopefully it'll get better in future interviews. 

Yea ugh. Me watching the playback and noticing the recording has lag :alook:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

OMG so this :queenflopga: is her? Wow! I've always been curious about these emotes.

I thought I didn't know them, but after watching the clips it turned out that I did get to watch those reality shows back in the day lol 

Flavor of Love on VH1, and then it was Charm School a sort of spin off from that show. Tiffany "New York" ( :tiffeyeroll: ) and Schatar "Hottie" :queenflopga: were contestants

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I thought I didn't know them, but after watching the clips it turned out that I did get to watch those reality shows back in the day lol 

Flavor of Love on VH1, and then it was Charm School a sort of spin off from that show. Tiffany "New York" ( :tiffeyeroll: ) and Schatar "Hottie" :queenflopga: were contestants

Omg there's the emote! :unreal: I might just watch these clips on Youtube after i finish rewatching the Live & More DVD that's playing right now. Thank you for this, Pokie! ❤ :bigkiss:

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 3:43 PM, Roxxy said:

Hi Stephanie! ❤

I really appreciate that. It's not easy knowing and then admitting that you've just got to start over.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to watch the video. I hope you guys will check out the book and let me know what you think. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.