Billboard revists albums from the year 2000

Spicechinodiva

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9341347/madonna-in-2000-reinventing-pop-music

Madonna in the year 2000 reinvented pop music. 

They mention her ill fated cover of American Pie. It was a global hit. But in the states. The Don McLean version was still and is the implanted version. He was the only one to praise it.

Regrettably Warner executives forced Madonna to add the track on the international version to have an additional hit song. A decision she regretted and For her 2001 90s hits album. Madonna punished the track from inclusion due to it being on Music. It's noted while Die Another day fits cohesively with American Life.

American Pie threw the albums cohesive way off. 

Music was the proper introduction of her new direction.  While it's noted she was being safe and continued the sound of 1998's Ray of Light. Which is still noted her most critically acclaimed work to date.

But she goes into a direction that Madonna would be remembered.

It's been said. Outside her music. If you were to put a mural of Madonna in her images. You would see that this girl never stayed true to just one image. The collage would show you Madonna. But in various outfits and themes. 

It's known her biggest longevity was her reinvention in both sound and image.

Kimberly Caldwell said in 2013. 

Since the year 2000

We've had at least 16 different Madonna's and I loved each and every one of them..

The cowgirl and Americana theme of Madonna is still deemed as one of her most iconic reinventions.

After all this is the same woman that dissed Antonio Banderas (her future costar in 1996's Evita) for wearing Cowboy boots  in 1991's Truth or dare. She also called him a horrible actor. All this due to bringing Melanie Griffith to her show. She wanted him and was **** blocked by his Girlfriend at the time..

To me the highlight of the album Is still Don't tell me. The stop and go beat. Many people felt that it was skipping without realizing that production of the loop guitar and the beat being broken down is what made the song gel. But alas they thought it was a manufacturing error in the CD pressing. Many copies were returned. It was only realized what they did was intentional when it became a single. 

And the video of Madonna dancing with the gay cowboys probably pissed John wayne in his grave..

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know people actually returned the album's CD because they thought there was processing error on Don't Tell Me 😲

This was the first Madonna album I asked for and owned. TBH, I was only 10 at the time and really just wanted it for the singles 🙃. Both Music and Don't Tell me were culturally significant and the videos were BIG on MTV (which gives me hope for legend Britney in the coming years). Madonna was still "cool" with the young folk, while still receiving critical praise. IMO, from what I recall, the album can be summarized as a lighter or "poppier" version of Ray of Light. It was relaxed, but still took risks. She didn't curtail to the trends of the time, even though it may have been tempting. And the risk paid off. It also was the return of a social justice Madonna, a sneak preview for American Life.

Archived