Every Britney Spears Music Video From 1998 to Today: Watch Her Evolution

Every Britney Spears Music Video From 1998 to Today: Watch Her Evolution

by Rebecca Schiller  |  9/12/2018  

giphy.gif

In this week’s Music Video Evolution, Billboard is traveling back in time to the era of scrunchies and Beanie Babies to follow Britney Spears from her debut video all the way to 2016’s “Slumber Party.”

Kicking off with one of the greatest earworms of the '90s, 1998’s “...Baby One More Time,” the former Mickey Mouse Club member solidified her place in pop history as she made school uniforms cool and inspired every girl to go to Claire’s to get fuzzy hair ties to look just like her.

The following year, fans saw a softer side of Spears with the “Sometimes” video, which featured a perfect dance routine on the boardwalk, complete with a beautiful moment when her backup dancers formed a heart around her.

1999 was also the year that “(You Drive Me) Crazy” was released, which featured cameos from Drive Me Crazy stars Adrian Grenier and Melissa Joan Hart and starred Spears as a “dorky waitress” (as she called it), while also revealing that she came up with the video’s concept.

3RHY.gif

2000 marked the release of one of Britney’s most memorable videos to date, as “Oops!...I Did It Again” cemented another unforgettable look with her red leather bodysuit and referenced one of the most iconic films of the 90s, Titanic. That year also saw “Lucky,” which focused on what would become the singer’s difficult relationship with stardom, as well as her empowering “Stronger,” which featured a Janet Jackson-inspired chair dance routine.

“Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know,” “I'm a Slave 4 U” and “Overprotected” dropped in 2001, while “I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman” (which included clips from her film Crossroads), her “I Love Rock 'n' Roll” cover and “Boys” came out the following year.

Britney teamed up with Madonna for 2003’s “Me Against the Music,” and in 2004, she starred as secret agent, alongside Tyson Beckford, in “Toxic,” which was followed by the heartbreaking David LaChapelle-directed “Everytime.”

giphy.gif

2007 marked the release of “Gimme More,” the song that gave life to everyone’s favorite Britney catchphrase, “It’s Britney, *****,” along with the tabloid-bashing “Piece Of Me.” The animated “Break the Ice” video followed in 2008, as did “Womanizer” and “Circus.”

The cheeky “If U Seek Amy” dropped in 2009, along with “Radar” and “3,” and 2011 saw the release of “Hold It Against Me” and the apocalyptic bunker dance party “Till the World Ends.” In 2012, Spears joined forces with will.i.am for “Scream & Shout” and in 2013, “Ooh La La,” which appeared on the Smurfs 2 soundtrack, featured an appearance from her two sons, as well as a bunch of adorable animated Smurfs.

Spears teamed up with Iggy Azalea in 2015 for the “Pretty Girls” music video, which was inspired by the '80s film Earth Girls Are Easy and, and in 2016, she collaborated with G-Eazy on “Make Me…” Tinashe brings Britney Spears' music video evolution to a close -- for now -- with 2016's seductive team-up, “Slumber Party.”

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ChaoticShowdown said:

The evolution was 98-2004 since then we've witnessed a devolution, shes gone backwards not forwards.

So sad. 

She hasn't done a truly iconic music video since... everytime or toxic and hasn't done a good music video since circus or hiam

Facts are facts 

Womanizer, Circus, and WB were more in line with the Britney standard comparatively 

Just now, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Time just splashes by so fast.  :tiffanycries:

It’s scary! :decisions: sometimes, when I watch old performances of Britney on YouTube, and it looks all grainy, and outdated, it’s so surreal. When did Britney’s sons get so old?!

wow, thanks for sharing that. it's crazy, it brings back so many memories watching that as a fan, and you can start to see cracks appear in the 'britney brand' from everytime/my prerogative/do somethin'... it's like you can sense the frustration she must have felt

also, when you look at the time of release for all of her videos, the woman has never really had a proper long break in between projects. she's worked constantly. it would really benefit her to take at least a year off of music and showbiz

Archived