VIDEO: Britney Spears’ ‘Blackout’ Turns 10-Years-Old

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Britney Spars' Blackout is one of the most influential pop albums of the last decade.

To celebrate the record's 10th anniversary(!!!) today (Oct. 25), we made a special video detailing 10 reasons why it's her most important album ever.

It's also the informal introduction to BreatheHeavy.video. Get ready!

Watch up top.

How are YOU celebrating the Blackout anniversary? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2935B4AB-8536-451B-AEEA-4A178293C1F8.jpg

91E9AC89-9625-47D9-B0E1-AD20D6C2DA92.jpg

78033506-2C42-41B5-99CE-EC0BB0E8AF3F.jpg

76182BC0-97EE-480B-84BF-975267EAEA34.jpg

Let’s celebrate Britney’s second greatest album today! What are your favorite songs, your favorite single and music video, your favorite performance(s) of a Blackout track? What song would you have wanted as a single? Has the album stood the test of time for you? What are your feelings about it a decade later? Discuss and have fun!

:bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty::bparty:

It may be one of my least favorite albums, but it still has a bunch of bops. :myjam: Happy birthday, Blackout. You are truly the ideal Halloween album. :pumped:

Break The Ice, Gimme More, Piece of Me, Radar, Everybody, Get Back, Perfect Lover, Ooh Ooh Baby, Freakshow, Hot As Ice, Heaven On Earth, Why Should I Be Sad, Outta This World and Toy Soldier are all ******* bops! :milkney: 

And yes, I hate Get Naked so much that despite me loving the rest of the album, it ruins the album for me. Deal with it. :byebitch: 

• Super Mods

Blackout was the first album I ever purchased, and the first Britney music I was introduced to. I honestly love every track on the album (each track fits the album perfectly), but Gimme More, Piece of Me, Heaven on Earth, Freakshow, and Hot as Ice define the album for me. 

I wish Heaven on Earth was a single, because it’s a beautiful song and kinda different from other tracks Britney has done (again, in my opinion). A part of me also wishes Sugarfall was on the album (after WSIBS), but I’ve survived without it for 10 years so idk if it’s that vital for me lol... :urite:

The album will always have a special place in my heart, and I will always keep on rockin’ to it! :queenflopga: Happy Birthday, Blackout. May you slay for eternity! :gimmemoar:

• Super Mods
7 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Do you think a HOE video would have been light or dark (like the rest of the videos this era)? :verycool:

I feel like it would be kind of ethereal, maybe starting off as dark and then moving toward a more hopeful/yearning ending? The synth that runs throughout the verses give me a dark vibe, but then the chorus is really light and floaty (if that makes sense lmao :orangu:) A video of contradictions and juxtapositions galore tbh :gimmemoar: It would’ve slayed in my opinion! :flawlessbye:

If it came after Break the Ice, maybe it’d be cartoon/anime inspired too? :mattafact:

ALSO

do we know who the song is about, if anyone?

Guest Diamond Horse

Maria Minerva is Estonian

So am I 

slay!

BTW I know I shouldn't ask it here, but is she really respected in some circles or smth?  :o 

anyway, she deserves respect

2 minutes ago, SlayOut said:

I feel like it would be kind of ethereal, maybe starting off as dark and then moving toward a more hopeful/yearning ending? The synth that runs throughout the verses give me a dark vibe, but then the chorus is really light and floaty (if that makes sense lmao :orangu:) A video of contradictions and juxtapositions galore tbh :gimmemoar: It would’ve slayed in my opinion! :flawlessbye:

If it came after Break the Ice, maybe it’d be cartoon/anime inspired too? :mattafact:

ALSO

do we know who the song is about, if anyone?

It’s actually a very dark song, under the guise of a happy melody. Nicole Morier wrote the song about a very dependent and toxic / addictive relationship she had with an ex boyfriend. Britney loved the song and chose to record it and she was having a hard time doing so because it was during the point where she recently broke it off with Kevin and she was crying between takes. 

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

It’s actually a very dark song, under the guise of a happy melody. Nicole Morier wrote the song about a very dependent and toxic / addictive relationship she had with an ex boyfriend. Britney loved the song and chose to record it and she was having a hard time doing so because it was during the point where she recently broke it off with Kevin and she was crying between takes. 

oh no thats so heartbreaking :otears:

and here i was thinking it was a song about how much she loved her kids 

• Super Mods
1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

omg I didn’t know this :meltdown: But it does make sense. Honestly the outro of the song with the whispering and instrumentation gives me chills sometimes because it seems really depressive/dooming.

2 minutes ago, The_Original_Toy said:

oh no thats so heartbreaking :otears:

and here i was thinking it was a song about how much she loved her kids 

She did record a song about the boys actually! It’s called “Grow” and it was produced by Steve Anderson during the same sessions as “State Of Grace”. He described it as an electro ballad.

Guest Diamond Horse
31 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

She’s an indie darling, her music has received acclaim from a lot of big western publications like Pitchfork, The Fader and The Guardian. 

yeah, I haven't really dug deep into her, but even from listening one or two songs, I could tell it is great :) 

It makes me very happy that I share my small nation with her. to think about it, it is a weird kind of joy, the national joy, because she doesn't even sing in Estonian, but still a great joy at that. 

EDIT: she has a couple of songs on Estonian too :) 

Archived