IMA SLAVE 4 U FLOP ; REASONS

BritintheZone

I believe it was the ban + new image + the fact Britney hasn't been a huge radio artist anyway in the US, Femme Fatale-aside. Up to that point, Britney only had 3 top 10 singles in the BB Hot 100 (which considering she had like 7 singles and how big she was this is not much at all), while on the other hand her music videos consistently broke records on TRL and the like.

I guess it can be said that Slave flopped on US radios, but the song is far from a flop lol

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RedCarpet said:

I think that song was "too" urban for a Pop princess act. People just wanted another poppy song a'la BOMT or Oops, Stronger etc and it just didnt work that she evolved :wyd:

Not really. That pop sound was starting to fade during mid 2001 which is why the 'Britney' era suffered in comparison to her previous albums. That was a  transitional stage in music, especially post-9/11.

The radio ban did its work in a negative way but tbh a lot of fans were only like 12 years old cause of her innocent music before Slave and when I was that age I totally hated Slave but now that I am older I understand and love the song but yeah a 12 year old will usually dislike it...and so will their parents as they think it's not something for a 12 year old to hear lol. With the change of music, a lot more omder people started to become fans while younger fans started to drop out and this happened even more with In The Zone

10 hours ago, $elfish said:

Can't believe "fans" left Britney when she was going through a hard time :tiffcackle: just like that forum owner what ever the **** his name was 

I could tell they cared about her so much as a person:whitney:

Ruben/WorldofBritney? Agreed. Sadly, I'd (mostly) liked Ruben up until he did that, but that lost all of my respect for him.

It didn't flop tho. Maybe in the US, because they dont have taste :whitney:. But it smashed in the rest of the world 

Australia (ARIA)[35] 7
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[36] 6
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[37] 6
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[38] 4
Brazil (ABPD)[39] 3
Canada (Canadian Hot 100)[40] 8
Denmark (Tracklisten)[41] 8
European Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)[18] 5
Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)[42] 4
France (SNEP)[43] 8
Germany (Official German Charts)[44] 3
Ireland (IRMA)[45] 6
Italy (FIMI)[46] 4
Japan (Oricon)[47] 33
Netherlands (Single Top 100)[48] 9
New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[49] 13
Norway (VG-lista)[50] 3
Portugal (AFP)[51] 2
Romania (Romanian Top 100)[52] 10
Scotland (Official Charts Company)[53] 4
Spain (PROMUSICAE)[54] 6
Sweden (Sverigetopplistan)[55] 7
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[56] 7
UK Singles (Official Charts Company)[57] 4
US Billboard Hot 100[58] 27 flop country
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)[59] 4
US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)[60] 85 flawp
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)[61] 15

I think Britney's main problem is that she grew up too fast. I think there was a year or so between her albums and she went from being innocent to wild in such a short time. It's hard to believe but Britney was a pop phenomena for about 5 years before she broke down. I think maybe if she took more time between albums, her transition would have been smoother. She went from break up, to partying, to colin farrell, to fred durst to kissing madonna to 55 hr marriage to kfed in SUCH a short time. Slave 4 u 'flopped' because Britney went from a somewhat **** video like Oops to a downright naughty video like Slave 4 u. I think her younger fans (me included) felt alienated from Baby britney. She and Christina rubbed people the wrong way with their transitions. Also, at the time, singers like Avril started to come out and marketed themselves as anti-britney's. That didn't help. It made britney seem like a slutty pop tart who had nothing to offer.

1 hour ago, Oops... I did it again said:

I think Britney's main problem is that she grew up too fast. I think there was a year or so between her albums and she went from being innocent to wild in such a short time. It's hard to believe but Britney was a pop phenomena for about 5 years before she broke down. I think maybe if she took more time between albums, her transition would have been smoother. She went from break up, to partying, to colin farrell, to fred durst to kissing madonna to 55 hr marriage to kfed in SUCH a short time. Slave 4 u 'flopped' because Britney went from a somewhat **** video like Oops to a downright naughty video like Slave 4 u. I think her younger fans (me included) felt alienated from Baby britney. She and Christina rubbed people the wrong way with their transitions. Also, at the time, singers like Avril started to come out and marketed themselves as anti-britney's. That didn't help. It made britney seem like a slutty pop tart who had nothing to offer.

Indeed, she should have had another Oops/BOMT record before the Britney era. I always feel like she evolved too fast

Guest Brichney.
6 minutes ago, KatLove said:

Did she really loose fans over this? Like really?

Britney wasn't praised then for her great performances, she was grilled for them. Funny how nowadays, the same people praise Beyonce and stuff for ****** liberation when back then they criticized Brit for objectifying women by using her body as a form of art. People are easily manipulated tbh. 

15 hours ago, BritintheZone said:

Why? After a scandalize vma performance

anigif_enhanced-4939-1462211007-2.gif 

and video

tumblr_nhmw7i4obu1rsh8hwo1_500.gif

It was a lead single , during her prime. Why it flop? Was it the radio ban( was that really a thing or just a rumor)? Was it cause it was the frist time she was really really ****** and a complete image change? 

I was wanna know I was really young and its my favorite song :forkit:

I was a fan back then (I'm 29 years old) and no, it was no flop.
it was a huge success worldwide. In usa the song suffered from the clear radio ban (which prevented it from reaching higher billboard positions, same for every single until gimme more) and the physical single distribution was quite limited (same thing happened for Oops - song, they did that on purpose to push people buying the album).
The song, the video and the vma's performances had one of the greatest impacts in pop culture, so it's no flop at  all.

2 hours ago, Oops... I did it again said:

I think Britney's main problem is that she grew up too fast. I think there was a year or so between her albums and she went from being innocent to wild in such a short time. 

less than a year actually, cuz the OIDIA tour ended in Rock in Rio on Jan 2001, and the DLMBTLTK video/song was released at around the same time or a bit later. Which she was already getting backlash in RIR for the mic feed thing, and DLMBTLTK for being too raunchy, so there was about maybe 6 months in between those eras

19 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

less than a year actually, cuz the OIDIA tour ended in Rock in Rio on Jan 2001, and the DLMBTLTK video/song was released at around the same time or a bit later. Which she was already getting backlash in RIR for the mic feed thing, and DLMBTLTK for being too raunchy, so there was about maybe 6 months in between those eras

1 hour ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

Indeed, she should have had another Oops/BOMT record before the Britney era. I always feel like she evolved too fast

I agree with the both of u. I don't think the public would have been as harsh on her. She should have eased down a bit before and after Slave. I don't think anyone could have ever imagined that in a few years, Britney's life and career would become as calm as it is now. She was one shock after another and she was EVERYWHERE! I don't even think Britney realizes how huge she became. She was constantly in people's faces especially after Slave. People went through phases with her because of how in your face she was. 

14 hours ago, BritintheZone said:

Was Ima slave 4 u like number one on trl and shows like that? 

It could be. TRL is a different kinda thing.

But VIVA TOP 100 was the official charts in Germany, I guess most countries had their top 100.

It was cool because when you go to the music store they used to have whole top 100 single cd's placed based on a number single got on for that week. For example as I said 'I'm A Slave 4 U" landed on top 4 and at the store Slave single cd's would be places on No.4. It was my favourite thing to go to the music stores in Getmany 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately music industry has changed today and they don't do the whole top100 cd singles in stores anymore, for some artists music record companies doesn't even release single cd's anymore like we didn't get this time for "Make Me" & "Slumber Party".

In general 2001 was a year when music industry started to go down regarding on sales and stuff because music piracy became very big. I remember there was serious issue in germany for downloading music illegaly and they would be hunting those people with some serious penalty...

Archived