This Is The Version Of Britney Spears' "Me Against The Music" Sans Madonna You've Been Waiting For

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Don't hesitate.

Don't hesitate.

When Britney Spears first introduced fans to "Me Against The Music," the lead single off 2003's In The Zone, it was a solo venture with some background vocals by RedZone's Penelope Magnet (M-A-G-N-E-T MAD). It wasn't until the princess of pop performed on stage with Madonna at the VMAs that year (and subsequent snog) that the two linked up to make the song a duet. "I just asked her to do a little thing, but she really went there," Britney said at the time. "She did a lot of stuff to it."

The version with Madonna is an untouchable pop gem, but there's something special about its origins without her. Had Britney not cat walked with a microphone between her breasts and pirouetted around Christina Aguilera before stealing a smooch with the Queen of Pop, how would her career have turned out? That was a defining moment for Britney, and "Me Against The Music" was the aftermath.

Nick*, who's crafted countless Britney remixes over the years (most recently, a collaboration with Country Club Martini Crew on acoustic renditions of Glory cuts "Man On The Moon" and "Change Your Mind"), strips Madonna's presence out entirely on a new remix of it. Instead, he highlighted unheard background vocals and recreating / re-editing the breakdown (bonus: there's a nod to Piece Of Me included).

Nick* tells BreatheHeavy it's special to him because this version is "close to our first experience of the song [when she performed it] at the NFL kick off and Rain [nightclub]." He adds: "It's nice to hear Britney's background vocals all on her own too. Her deep tones stand out."

Listen:

Thoughts on the remix? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, GypsyWoman said:

I feel like I've heard something very similar in years past. I used to have a "solo version" that didn't sound too different to this other than the added chants by the rapper chick.

Β 

Right. Like this has already been made. I had that version on my iPod a decade ago.

DAMN...... that was ******* dope!

Britney's vocals soundΒ so ****** hot and it sounds more like a Britney lead single too.
It sounds wilder and nastierΒ too. BritneyΒ goes hard as a solo with thisΒ song.Β 

Way better than the original Β tbh
Β 

Archived