Why did the Britney (2001) album singles not have the support of the radios?

e-mailmyheart

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radio banned her at the time. Clearchannel which owns most radio stations in the US were originally supposed to be the sponser for DWAD tour but then Britney dropped them and chose Pepsi instead because of her contract with them, so they blacklisted her songs. The ban was lifted after MATM was released.

31 minutes ago, Isla. said:

Radio banned her at the time. Clearchannel which owns most radio stations in the US were originally supposed to be the sponser for DWAD tour but then Britney dropped them and chose Pepsi instead because of her contract with them, so they blacklisted her songs. The ban was lifted after MATM was released.

and did that make her flop real hard?

cuz i have the impression that britney (the album) was succesful af. specially slave.

also, dwad had major success, right?

51 minutes ago, Zulu Spears said:

I stand to be corrected but, I believe it was because Team Britney went ahead with Pepsi as her tour sponsor instead of some company that had major reach in radio (or something to that effect). They basically had her music removed from most radio playlists in retaliation to her not choosing them.

:lostney: What was that major company? Coca-cola?

9 minutes ago, it's so much Better said:

cuz i have the impression that britney (the album) was succesful af. specially slave.

Yeah the tour still sold well, and the album went to #1 so was still successful although it didn't sell as much as BOMT/OIDIA. She was still also really successful worldwide as well so she wasn't a complete flop. But IAS4U charted at #27 (I think?), Overprotected (Darkchild remix) at #86, and INAGNYAW and Boys both missed the hot 100. (And ILRNR wasn't released in the US)

2 minutes ago, Isla. said:

Yeah the tour still sold well, and the album went to #1 so was still successful although it didn't sell as much as BOMT/OIDIA. She was still also really successful worldwide as well so she wasn't a complete flop. But IAS4U charted at #27 (I think?), Overprotected (Darkchild remix) at #86, and INAGNYAW and Boys both missed the hot 100. (And ILRNR wasn't released in the US)

I didnt know that. thanks.

yeah, back then radio was everything, right?

3 minutes ago, Isla. said:

i guess in brazil all of the singles were really successful, tho!

1 hour ago, it's so much Better said:

Of course the era was a success, the album sold very quickly (745k first week in the US) and ended up with 11M WW.

The tour was also very successful. 54M $ gross for a 2002 tour is huge, the touring climate was different back then.

The singles weren't successful on the charts because of the radio ban (no airplay) + not releasing physical CDs. Who cares tho, the goal is selling albums after all and she did just that. :sassybrit:

30 minutes ago, Rachel Green said:

Britney declined ClearChannel's offer to sponsor her tour therefore the radio ban 

If they just declined them at the start it wouldn't have been so bad. But they first agreed and then kicked them out when Pepsi stepped in. :orangu: Ofc they were gonna be salty as ****.

Archived