Suzanne Vega Praises Britney's Cover Of "Tom's Diner"

Jordan Miller

• Leader
feat-giorgio-moroder-toms-diner-remixes-stream-made

Mature queen is mature.

To wash our mouth out the bad taste "Pretty Girls" left, Britney Spears teamed up with legendary producer Giorgio Moroder to reimagine the 1990 DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's 1987 hit "Tom's Diner," and it gets the official thumbs up from Vega.

“I have to say, I was surprised," Vega tells Rolling Stone of the song which landed on Moroder's 2015 album 74 Is The New 24 (it first appeared on her second studio album Solitude Standing). "It came right on the heels of Fall Out Boy [who sampled the song on “Centuries”]. I thought, ‘That’s great that Britney Spears wants to do this.’ I was impressed because it was her idea and … it’s showing maturity in her career choices.”

The original DNA remix of the song hit No. 5 on the Hot 100 in 1990 after its release. "I was thrilled [Britney] did it," she added, "and I hope she does it in her live show."

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! i like Tom's diner it's a great song that could be included in Glory as a Bonus track. 

britney probably changed her mind and let the song out after she new that Giorgio will not giving her the song for her album LOL she was very hard to contact so idk  but i think its a great song.

calling it a mature movement it's stupid, its a fun song and britney did an amazing refreshing job with it

In fact, "Tom's Diner" was once again a radio hit last year – nearly 30 years after its original a capella release on her first studio album Solitude Standing – when Giorgio Moroder remade it with Britney Spears singing the familiar lines: "I am sitting in the morning/At the diner on the corner/I am waiting at the counter/For the man to pour the coffee ..."

"I have to say, I was surprised," Vega says. "It came right on the heels of Fall Out Boy [who sampled the song on "Centuries"]. I thought, 'That's great that Britney Spears wants to do this.' I was impressed because it was her idea and ... it's showing maturity in her career choices."

Vega admits she was also surprised how closely Moroder followed the DNA remix that hit Number Five on the Hot 100 in 1990 after its release, hoping it may take on a disco tinge. "I'm a big Donna Summer fan, and I was expecting a real transformation," she says. "I was thrilled [Britney] did it, and I hope she does it in her live show."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/suzanne-vega-on-carson-mccullers-gender-identity-britney-spears-w443939?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=101216_12

Archived