"The Britney Spears comeback narrative is all about saddling women with impossible expectations"

If U Seek Amy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, I Just Want More said:

Mte, it was all good till they suggested she's unhappy because of the plans her management has set up for her. As much as she doesn't need the conservatorship, no one can deny that Jamie truly loves Britney and wouldn't force her into anything huge that she didn't want to do. 

I mean... do we REALLY know?! Look at Michael Jackson's father, as an exemple. 
Sometimes I really feel like maybe she doesn't want to do all of this? Maybe she just wants to have a perfect peaceful life with her kids and that's it. She's always talking about having more kids.
I just hope from the bottom of my heart that she's truly happy doing what she loves, I would feel really ashamed of myself if she ever said that she doesn't want to do music anymore and I'm here always wanting more promo, more music videos, more concerts, etc.

Truer words were never spoken.

I love that the article brought up the conservatorship. Her father is still the President of every one of her corporations. I don't think most fans even comprehend his power.

So much of what Britney went through was because she was a woman. However...I don't think the "tearing down" is restricted just to women. I can see it starting to happen to G-Eazy already. :jolieoverit:

6 minutes ago, Work_Guilty said:

so now wanting britney to sing live is impossible expectations :zoomzoom:  ??? go kill youself tbh if you think like that 

They didn't say singing live... they said people won't be happy until she is a replica of 2000-2003ney. Who, by the way, never sang live anyway.

And wanting Britney to sing live isn't ridiculous, but it is ridiculous if you believe it is ever going to happen at a major event. They will drag her for lip syncing, but she'll be destroyed if she attempts to sing live. The people complaining act like they'd respect her if she at least tried, but you know they'd just laugh and tear her down more because she doesn't meet their expectations of what an artist should be.

2 minutes ago, theraspberry said:

They didn't say singing live... they said people won't be happy until she is a replica of 2000-2003ney. Who, by the way, never sang live anyway.

And wanting Britney to sing live isn't ridiculous, but it is ridiculous if you believe it is ever going to happen at a major event. They will drag her for lip syncing, but she'll be destroyed if she attempts to sing live. The people complaining act like they'd respect her if she at least tried, but you know they'd just laugh and tear her down more because she doesn't meet their expectations of what an artist should be.

will that what people only talkin about her awful lip sync at the vma....stop making up excuses for her !! the performance was really cool it only lack some live singing i dont think its hard for her i believe in her :shameless:

PS britney 2000...2004 did sing live ar last dance her *** off 

1 minute ago, Work_Guilty said:

will that what people only talkin about her awful lip sync at the vma....stop making up excuses for her !! the performance was really cool it only lack some live singing i dont think its hard for her i believe in her :shameless:

PS britney 2000...2004 did sing live ar last dance her *** off 

Be real - she rarely sang live. Especially near the end of 2004. Her live versions of Shadow/Everytime during OHT were a struggle and lots of people comment on those youtube video SLAMMING her. Imagine if she were do to that on a broadcast streaming to all GP.. the comments would be awful & endless. 

I'm not making excuses for her - I have realistic expectations and know who I am a fan of. I'm not hoping for Britney of the past. I'm a fan of who Britney is now and, yeah, there are things I wish she'd do, but I KNOW she is VERY unlikely to ever sing live again. It's silly to think otherwise.

A very nice and interesting article which demonstrates that society doesn't feel empathy for the person who is sitting next to them. Britney is a big example of it. She has been always under stupid expectations and under pressure. I think she's realizing that the best thing she can do is doing what she feels, and what she likes, because she cannot please everyone. And I think that's the way to happiness and success. So, to me, Britney is now in the right path.

1 hour ago, Kisle said:

The article is a nice read and necessary for the mindset of the GP (and 80% of exhale). But let's be real, whether anyone liked her BBMA or VMA performance, she's back in shape, happy, creating amazing music again and performing at a level no one has seen in almost a decade. People need to appreciate and enjoy the ride Britney is now taking us on.

Well said :saycheese:

3 hours ago, theraspberry said:

Be real - she rarely sang live. Especially near the end of 2004. Her live versions of Shadow/Everytime during OHT were a struggle and lots of people comment on those youtube video SLAMMING her. Imagine if she were do to that on a broadcast streaming to all GP.. the comments would be awful & endless. 

I'm not making excuses for her - I have realistic expectations and know who I am a fan of. I'm not hoping for Britney of the past. I'm a fan of who Britney is now and, yeah, there are things I wish she'd do, but I KNOW she is VERY unlikely to ever sing live again. It's silly to think otherwise.

:NYcackle: then she better retire tbh with all those excuses what left ? dont blame the GP for not take her seriously anymore 

I don't think it's an unrealistic exprctation to keep up with her peers. Whatever coreography you do, keep in synch and sing a little bit live.  No one is asking her to look 19, just 34.

I do think people want to succeed because many people also aren't what they were career wise/financially in 1998-2005 because of the economy. The height of her career was a time of the most peace and prosperity America had experienced since the 25 years after WWII. People feel when she comes back, they can come back from their troubles, and America comes back from its troubles.  But, her career is like the economy, it's inching baby steps, improving signifigantly since the crash of 2008, but never ever being able to recover those blissful peaceful times again

This seems to be a typical trend in the media lately. Take a topic that isn't a social justice issue and make it a social justice issue.

I don't think it's misogynist to expect a pop star to be in shape. It is part of the job after all. I'll admit, I thought the public was incredibly unfair to Britney when judging her weight after the 2007 VMAs. She wasn't "fat" by any means and I don't think the outfit she wore was unflattering to her at all. But I don't think that judgement is exclusive to women. If Usher got on stage and took off his shirt, he would get dragged online if he had a belly with man *****. I remember there were paparazzi pictures of Channing Tatum jogging years ago that got a lot of attention. He was shirtless and clearly gained weight. People were picking on him relentlessly for his appearance. 

And I don't think its misogynist for the public to expect Britney to be at her absolute best. Once again, that's part of the job. People have seen what she's capable of. True, she's not 20 anymore. But getting older doesn't necessarily mean you lose it. Look at Madonna. When folks see Britney's backup dancers out-dancing her, they're naturally going to react. I think it's a valid criticism. I think people (male and female) should be encouraged to give their all in their work and it makes sense why people don't think Britney is giving her all.

I also don't think the media scrutiny was the reason for Britney's "meltdown." I will admit I don't know the woman, so I can't even say for sure myself what the reason was. However, I suspect that would've happened regardless of whether she was famous or not. People who fall that far down (keep in mind I'm talking personally, not professionally) have it traced back to their childhood. Certain things that took place as a child form the path you take as an adult. I'm sure the media didn't help, but I don't think they're the cause.

11 hours ago, juniorcasemiro said:

I mean... do we REALLY know?! Look at Michael Jackson's father, as an exemple. 
Sometimes I really feel like maybe she doesn't want to do all of this? Maybe she just wants to have a perfect peaceful life with her kids and that's it. She's always talking about having more kids.
I just hope from the bottom of my heart that she's truly happy doing what she loves, I would feel really ashamed of myself if she ever said that she doesn't want to do music anymore and I'm here always wanting more promo, more music videos, more concerts, etc.

x2 agree. We have no way of knowing for sure especially when she only ever says she wants more kids when talking about the future. I agree with you, I very much hope she is loving what she is doing and at the end of the day hope she can retire when she wants to.

11 hours ago, OutrageousSin said:

Interesting read for sure, but let's be fully honest here! 

She's not giving just 10/100 in Vegas! People forgot how Britney used to perform! She never gave it %100 unless it's an award/tv show or something important! but because it happened before 2007 then it's considered "perfect" 

No! it's not, because now she's giving way more in one show! Yes maybe the dancing was sharper than now but the effort is bigger in Vegas "sometimes" specially in the new show!

Current Britney is doing almost the same or a bit more than 2004 Britney! compare everything and you'll see! 

:crying1:

Archived