Is this Exhale’s Goodbye Zoey? (A letter for exhale and Jordan)

rik

Dear exhale,

I’ve been a member of this website for just over 6 years, and in a lot of ways would say that I’ve grown up a lot here and come into my own identity. I don’t mean it to always make things about me, but my fondest memories in recent times (and admittedly some of the more stressful times on the Internet lol) have taken place on exhale. The good, the bad, all of it has happened here. im not going to sugar coat it and can imagine that this reason could apply to a lot of us on here, in particular Jordan’s decision to potentially stop running the site in the future. 

im 27 years old now, and cannot imagine a life without knowing who Britney Spears is. My sisters first CD was Baby One More Time, and because she is 5 years older than me I essentially listened to everything she did up until a certain point of my childhood. Britney’s career and iconography will always last the test of time, and it’s been an absolute time being part of this community.

I found exhale when I was 19 years old, lurking around here for a couple years after always finding something really charming about Britney and her artistry. At the time, I was going through something that was self imposed in some  retrospective ways, but also telling of a kid in a lot of  other ways, who needed a lot of support. During a particularly  tough and transitional period of life, I found a sense of community and escapism here that allowed me to bond with others, while also understanding a sense of self. On exhale, I’ve also learnt how to better stand up for myself, and for the things I believe in, in my real life as well. I’ve learnt a lot about differences and patience here, and am always going to be grateful for my lifelong friends that I’ve made here.  Thank you all for that. 

We always find our way back here, despite the legal threats, Tri star and Blackbox spies, Lilith and Cheri (if you  know you know omg). Remember my  lorde and charli esque beef with the icon that is @RadicalOptimism… and where is grandma Charlene? and who can forget the Abdul accounts, armography scares, voice chat battles, mass group chats, glitter rain era (i kid🤍) and gay on gay violence that has occurred here….  I don’t even know how to cover all the lore and inside jokes we have here, in addition to the very cool and  personal things we have shared about each other with one another.

Above all,  if I’m even making sense in this run in sentence of an essay, I can safely say for those of you that have always managed to find your way back here like I have, just know there’s a reason for that. Our love for Britney, our empathy and longing for friendship, and our shared wish of wanting a sense of freedom in our own lives regardless of what’s happening in it. 

. @Jordan Miller I’ve given you a rough time in the past about how things on exhale havent  always been perfect, and I know to some capacity I have definitely contributed some level of chaos on here, but I wanted to thank you.  I still remember all the days that we spent having fun here and will always be grateful for what you did in providing Britney Spears fans with a space. I remember you participating in my exhale documentary. i want you and everyone here to know to know that I’ll always have love for you all.

If this has to be the end, I wanted to say thank you for giving me a space to really be crazy and have fun. Thank you all for your hours of research related to free Britney and our endless inside jokes. 

there’s so many people I want to say thank you to specifically, but am also really hoping we can all stick around because I do enjoy it here. 

anyway bye hdjdjdjdjd 

love

rik 

Edited by rik
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MissDebbie said:

EolfM6iUUAALffv.jpg

The writer expresses gratitude to the Exhale forum, where they have grown and found support. The community, especially Britney Spears fans, has been an important part of their life.

They reflect with joy and nostalgia on shared experiences and hope that the community stays together, even if the forum might close. Finally, they thank the administrator and other members for the time spent together.

Spoiler

I ran it through ChatGPT and told it to summarize :typing_keyboard_computer:

• Haha 8
32 minutes ago, TTrouble said:

The writer expresses gratitude to the Exhale forum, where they have grown and found support. The community, especially Britney Spears fans, has been an important part of their life.

They reflect with joy and nostalgia on shared experiences and hope that the community stays together, even if the forum might close. Finally, they thank the administrator and other members for the time spent together.

Reveal hidden contents

I ran it through ChatGPT and told it to summarize :typing_keyboard_computer:

LMAO BYE

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think I'll every understand why "the gays" think they're the only ones here.  

This forum is so much more than whatever you've just marginalized it to be.  I've been a member since '08, and have been visiting the site since it began. (It wasn't always mandatory to register) When the breatheavy front page was devoted to Britney News of the day.  

I hope Jordan knows this... And that some of the newer people can move outside their own experience just a little bit and begin to fathom there are more people here than 20 something gay males.  

For nearly 20 years this has been the place to find Britney.  And I thank Jordan for this space. Even when it has gotten messy - like, for real, I'm not fan of the increasingly self obsessed Glitter - this place has still been here.  And it has ebbed and flowed, waxed and wained in those 20 years.  As should most things.  However, if Jordan believes it's time to evolve beyond it, do it, man!  

Us old (truly old) folk are sad at the thought of goodbye, but proud of whatever you want to become in your next chapter, with or without exhale.  

These posts, whatever you wanna call em, are redundant and short sighted.  Let the man make a decision.  Support him and his choice from there.  

Signed,

A cis, hetero***ual old lady.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, kgid said:

I don't think I'll every understand why "the gays" think they're the only ones here.  

This forum is so much more than whatever you've just marginalized it to be.  I've been a member since '08, and have been visiting the site since it began. (It wasn't always mandatory to register) When the breatheavy front page was devoted to Britney News of the day.  

I hope Jordan knows this... And that some of the newer people can move outside their own experience just a little bit and begin to fathom there are more people here than 20 something gay males.  

For nearly 20 years this has been the place to find Britney.  And I thank Jordan for this space. Even when it has gotten messy - like, for real, I'm not fan of the increasingly self obsessed Glitter - this place has still been here.  And it has ebbed and flowed, waxed and wained in those 20 years.  As should most things.  However, if Jordan believes it's time to evolve beyond it, do it, man!  

Us old (truly old) folk are sad at the thought of goodbye, but proud of whatever you want to become in your next chapter, with or without exhale.  

These posts, whatever you wanna call em, are redundant and short sighted.  Let the man make a decision.  Support him and his choice from there.  

Signed,

A cis, hetero***ual old lady.

Girl I’m - speaking on my own experience. I never marginalized it to be something that it isn’t, I’m speaking to those who I know this will resonate with. I’m glad you’re straight? Lowkey kind of giving JK Rowling rn. Never once did I say he has to keep it up. Weird take. 

Edited by rik
6 hours ago, rik said:

Girl I’m - speaking on my own experience. I never marginalized it to be something that it isn’t, I’m speaking to those who I know this will resonate with. I’m glad you’re straight? Lowkey kind of giving JK Rowling rn. Never once did I say he has to keep it up. Weird take. 

OMG then you missed my point entirely. 

You're not speaking to anyone, you're speaking for (who you think is) everyone.  That's what's marginalizing.  

But that's okay.  Nuance is hard.

PS.  I'm a woman - not a girl, please address me as such.  

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, kgid said:

OMG then you missed my point entirely. 

You're not speaking to anyone, you're speaking for (who you think is) everyone.  That's what's marginalizing.  

But that's okay.  Nuance is hard.

PS.  I'm a woman - not a girl, please address me as such.  

Ok anyway lol. The fake outrage is odd to me and as someone who has been a fan of Britney for likely as long as you have, I don’t think it’s weird to think that people who feel marginalized would find a sense of community in an online space lol. I of course support whatever Jordan wants to do after 20 years and am being reflective. 

maybe go write your own post if you’re feeling that strongly though?

Edited by rik

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.