Pharrell, who wrote Britney Spears' 'I'm a Slave 4 U,' says he wouldn’t use 'slave' in a song title today (Seen Britney 10 Years Ago & She Didn't Remember Him)

If Pharrell Williams could do it all again, one of Britney Spears’ most iconic tunes would sound a little different.

As one of the writers and producers behind the pop star’s sultry hit single “I’m a Slave 4 U,” Pharrell admitted that he wouldn’t use the word “slave” if he was penning that tune in 2024.

“That’s not a word to play with these days,” the musician recently told The Hollywood Reporter. “And there’s many different angles, right? Obviously, what my people and my DNA and my ancestors had to endure and overcome, but then there’s also all the atrocity that happens in human trafficking every day. So, no, that’s not something I would say.”

Times change, the songwriter and producer went on to say, adding that such renewed perspectives are ultimately for the best.

“There are a lot of songs that, as the era changes from one day to the next, what was contextually acceptable at one time is no longer acceptable,” he pointed out. “But I think that’s for the better.”

He continued, “I think there are a lot of songs where I wouldn’t say half the things that I said before. As the time changes, so does mentality and hopefully it evolves to a better place. And it’s not about being politically correct, it’s about being universally aware.”

Pharrell teamed up with his then-frequent collaborator Chad Hugo to pen “I’m a Slave 4 U,” a track originally intended for Janet Jackson that would instead become a signature hit for Spears upon its 2001 release. Not only did this lead to the iconic VMAs performance that saw Spears dance with a python draped across her shoulders, it helped signal her transition to a more mature sound.

Pharrell recalled Spears being “eager” and “ready” to make that change while recording the song. “I put a fire under that notion,” he said. “I was like, ‘Oh, that’s how you feeling? OK, let’s put this fire under that. Let’s go.’”

Despite his role in that era of her career, Pharrell hasn’t connected with Spears in over a decade.

“Man, I ain’t spoke to Britney in maybe 10-plus years,” he said. “I think I’ve seen her in the elevator one time. I think we were all going into the same place or something. I can remember exactly where it was, and she had her sunglasses on, and I was like, ‘I know that’s Britney. Maybe she doesn’t remember me. That’s fine.’”

Spears showed some love for the song just last year, sharing a clip from her VMAs performance on X (formerly Twitter). “One of my favorite performances was with an albino python,” she wrote. “I still remember how scared I felt when I was handed this snake and took the stage !!!”

Spears elaborated on the snake performance in her 2023 memoir, The Woman in Me.

EW.COM

Pharrell, who wrote Britney Spears' hit single ‘I’m a Slave 4 U,’ says he wouldn’t use 'slave' in a song title now: 'That’s not a word to play with these days.'

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

This part is so sad.

“Man, I ain’t spoke to Britney in maybe 10-plus years,” he said. “I think I’ve seen her in the elevator one time. I think we were all going into the same place or something. I can remember exactly where it was, and she had her sunglasses on, and I was like, ‘I know that’s Britney. Maybe she doesn’t remember me. That’s fine.’” :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Love 4
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, PerfectLover. said:

Maybe she didn't see him. He didn't even talk to her :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

Maybe, but that person makes it seem like it was some kind of trauma for her to talk to someone she had known for a long time. Not to mention that, as far as I know, Pharrell never did anything bad to Britney and he was around during a good time in her life. 

Yeah, the song title is definitely an interesting choice, and it’d be even stranger if it had gone to Janet Jackson.:boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

I don’t think Pharrell really stands out in public imo, but he should’ve said something to her when he saw her. Does he really think he’s on that MJ level of legend or what are we supposed to do with this info? :boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Agyness said:

where?

4 minutes ago, Style. said:

When? :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

4 minutes ago, Agyness said:

it's not true

1 minute ago, BuyingCircusTourDMMe said:

No he didn’t shut up why is this place constantly filled with lies? it’s exhausting, not everyone hates Britney omg

BuyingCircus, calm down. I didn't disrespect your mama.

I read this years ago. He said it in reference to the Neptunes changing her sound to more adult and switching course from teen pop.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.