Was self-titled album supossed to be a pre-break-up album?

I know that Britney usually doesn't make personal songs, but

We have songs like Lonely ("Ain't no way I'll be lonely"),  unreleased tracks: She'll Never Be Me (title says by itself) , Tell Me Am I Sinner ("I confess if I've done it wrong
But in your eyes I see I'm guilty....", "This is not my fault")

Feels like he probably cheated on her and then she cheated on him or something like that. Is it my conspiracy or these hints are reasonable? What do you think?

I mean JT cheated as early as 2000, so it’s not a reach at all to think that.

I believe Jive Records pushed her to be quiet about it because they knew JT was set to launch a solo career. Him being labeled the cheater would have sabotaged that, for sure. Britney’s career was strong enough to survive a cheating scandal, so they went with that narrative. Makes sense now when she said “I’m not technically saying he’s wrong, but I’m not technically saying he’s right either”.

”Am I A Sinner”, “She’ll Never Be Me”, and “When I Say So” deserved a spot on the album, regardless. 

• Like 8
  • Super Mods
7 hours ago, Emil87 said:

I mean JT cheated as early as 2000, so it’s not a reach at all to think that.

I believe Jive Records pushed her to be quiet about it because they knew JT was set to launch a solo career. Him being labeled the cheater would have sabotaged that, for sure. Britney’s career was strong enough to survive a cheating scandal, so they went with that narrative. Makes sense now when she said “I’m not technically saying he’s wrong, but I’m not technically saying he’s right either”.

”Am I A Sinner”, “She’ll Never Be Me”, and “When I Say So” deserved a spot on the album, regardless. 

I agree.

Alot of the songs on the Britney album are about difficulties with a relationship.

Cinderella is an example of that.

Honestly in hindsight based on listening to the album, it was inevitable that they would break up. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 4

I always thought it was weird they did a track together, right? On “What Its Like To Be Me” which comes right after Thats Where You Take Me…

I always thought it alluded to What Its Like to Take Me... Which looks a lot like the beginning of “That’s Where”….. Which sounds like “Justin’s a Cheater”

Also sounds like “Beat Me”… and its weird she sings a sound called Slave 4 U. Save Me? And her hands her tied, like she's a prisoner. 

Edited by ObsessedBritFan1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely. I think at the time maybe she didn’t want to break up with him and forgave his infidelity but she wanted to and she toyed with the idea. I think maybe she even sang those songs to make him scared that she could pull the plug on the relationship but it didn’t work and instead he was the one to call it quits. I think her self titled album was also a way for her to let her fans know what she is going through. 

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
On 7/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, LoveforBritney said:

Absolutely. I think at the time maybe she didn’t want to break up with him and forgave his infidelity but she wanted to and she toyed with the idea. I think maybe she even sang those songs to make him scared that she could pull the plug on the relationship but it didn’t work and instead he was the one to call it quits. I think her self titled album was also a way for her to let her fans know what she is going through. 

I agree.

She loved him so much but she also went through a lot with him.

I think she was just very conflicted which reflected in the album with lovey dovey songs like When I Found You and songs about relationship problems like Cinderella or Lonely.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2024 at 11:06 AM, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

I always thought it was weird they did a track together, right? On “What Its Like To Be Me” which comes right after Thats Where You Take Me…

I always thought it alluded to What Its Like to Take Me... Which looks a lot like the beginning of “That’s Where”….. Which sounds like “Justin’s a Cheater”

Also sounds like “Beat Me”… and its weird she sings a sound called Slave 4 U. Save Me? And her hands her tied, like she's a prisoner. 

I- :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

• Haha 1
On 7/18/2024 at 5:15 PM, Princessmimi said:

I agree.

She loved him so much but she also went through a lot with him.

I think she was just very conflicted which reflected in the album with lovey dovey songs like When I Found You and songs about relationship problems like Cinderella or Lonely.

Yea I remember listening to that cd and always wondering why she was singing about breaking up when she was in a good relationship at the time. I never would’ve imagined that the man she was with was cheating on worlds most beautiful woman. That’s what I always saw her as. Makes sense now. I used to think her label wanted break up songs or she just liked the songs and included them on her cd 

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
9 minutes ago, LoveforBritney said:

Yea I remember listening to that cd and always wondering why she was singing about breaking up when she was in a good relationship at the time. I never would’ve imagined that the man she was with was cheating on worlds most beautiful woman. That’s what I always saw her as. Makes sense now. I used to think her label wanted break up songs or she just liked the songs and included them on her cd 

Yeah me too.

And the fact that she wrote those breakup songs proves their relationship wasn't as perfect as people thought it was.

I love Cinderella but honestly I hear it differently now that we know the truth about what their relationship was like.

She was basically demanding respect from Justin in the song otherwise she would leave him.

That's pretty sad that she felt the only way to do that is through song.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Princessmimi said:

Yeah me too.

And the fact that she wrote those breakup songs proves their relationship wasn't as perfect as people thought it was.

I love Cinderella but honestly I hear it differently now that we know the truth about what their relationship was like.

She was basically demanding respect from Justin in the song otherwise she would leave him.

That's pretty sad that she felt the only way to do that is through song.

It’s crazy to know she was at her prime and still dealing with so much behind closed doors :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
4 minutes ago, LoveforBritney said:

It’s crazy to know she was at her prime and still dealing with so much behind closed doors :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

I know especially about her a.bortion :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

This proves that everything is not what it seems and that no one including celebs have a perfect life.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It was always strange to me that she claimed Britney was a very personal record and “like a diary,” even saying during In the Zone promo that she put herself out there too much in the Britney record. I always wondered what was so personal beyond her exploring more s3xually charged songs and observing how she was overprotected, especially since In the Zone felt way more personal with Everytime, Touch of My Hand (self-intimacy), Shadow, etc.

You may be right.

Edited by MarshallMathers
  • Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MarshallMathers said:

It was always strange to me that she claimed Britney was a very personal record and “like a diary,” even saying during In the Zone promo that she put herself out there too much in the Britney record. I always wondered what was so personal beyond her exploring more s3xually charged songs and observing how she was overprotected, especially since In the Zone felt way more personal with Everytime, Touch of My Hand (self-intimacy), Shadow, etc.

You may be right.

most of the songs are personal, even i slave4u its a diss track for her haters

4 hours ago, oscar0 said:

most of the songs are personal, even i slave4u its a diss track for her haters

Exactly "Overprotected" and "Im Not A Girl..." and some lyrics from "Slave..." are personal songs in Baby or Oops the are not any personal songs, "Lucky" is about character and general fame and she said it wasn't about her, I don't even think she likes that song nowadays (or never), another thing is that fans or even people in general consider the song as personal because of what happened to her afterwards.

Could "Britney" have been a better album? could be. Is a very good album? Yeah.

Edited by descg
6 hours ago, MarshallMathers said:

You may be right.

The only personal song (even that she co-writtes most of the songs, but a singer can writte a songs about something not personal or something in general) is Everytime. Shadow can be for any relationship that ends and "Touch Of My Hand" I don't think that saying that you ********* is something very personal... I think that "Britney" or "Blackout" are the most personal in terms of lyrics and In The Zone (the electronic genre ones especially) and Blackout in terms of the style of music she wanted, so maybe Blackout is the most personal?
Britney has never released a very personal album like other singers do. I recently saw a short I think it was on Instagram of her in the interviews for the Uk promo for "In The Zone" in 2003 (with the black shirt) where they ask her "why don't you release songs with serious themes?" and she answers "because I don't want to", and the comments section praising britney for the response.
But Likewise, she has never had all control artistic, she already began to reveal herself with the record company when she wanted to make the video for "Do Somethin'" (the Greatest Hits, I don't think she wanted to release one) and they didn't want to and she filmed it and then she went to the radio station in 2005 with "Mona Lisa" without the permission of the record company and wanted to release an album soon (and they not or the one that she wanted), then she continued making music in 2006 and in 2007 she didn't want to release Blackout (even if she liked the songs and is the executive producer) because she didn't wanted to work at that precise moment. So i don't know if the "because I don't want to" was a sincere response or not. 

Edited by descg

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.